Author Topic: 2008 Indie game of the year voting  (Read 15688 times)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Re: 2008 Indie game of the year voting
Had some time to kill while killing some viruses on someones machine so I compiled a list of all the stuff I could find:

01/22/08 Dark Children - Vid
02/12/08 FH 2260 - Vid
02/17/08 Multiplayer goes public
02/28/08 Thursday Multiplayer sessions being
03/08/08 First MultiPack finalized
03/11/08 Vid, Kara, and FUBAR officially join the team.
03/26/08 Swantz gets his badge
04/11/08 3.4b FINAL
04/24/08 gamona.de special interview
05/09/08 Nightmare single mission - darkmaster
05/20/08 TBP installer - Hip
05/29/08 Modded mainhull and debriefing - Skullar
07/08/08 Achen Flight School - Vid
07/28/08 EBW - madabougames
07/30/08 New icons - Hip
07/31/08 Second multi mission pack
08/04/08 Star Fury Mission Pack - madaboutgames
08/14/08 Operations - Vid
08/22/08 IP transfers control of TBP to VID and FUBAR
09/06/08 DVD released - HIP
10/09/08 EACW teaser released - Skullar
10/16/08 Campaign pack 2.0 - HIP
11/18/08 Human-Narn first contact single mission - darkmaster
11/21/08 Guardian of Light Demo - darkmaster
11/23/08 VERTi60 releases the first of a series of mission recordings
12/03/08 Background collection page added
12/15/08 TBP featured in GamShark
12/19/08 Vidmaster's Defense & Leguille's B5 Font
12/23/08 FREDer package, Civilans package, and HP Auroras - Orph3u5
12/24/08 HTL Container - Col. Fishguts
12/28/08 Drums of War - Orph3u5 & DVD cover art by coderdecoder

« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 04:49:59 pm by FUBAR-BDHR »
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
just curious: why is "FUB" missing on the whole list? :) Don't sell yourself short and add it to the multiplayer releases ;). By the way, the tutorial is named Achen Schooling Flight, not A.Flight School.

So how the hell do we summarize all that?
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Just do the campaign releases. That's what the public will really care about anyway. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Sounds good to me.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Vidmaster

I recommend nailing it down to:
- TBP going Final
- Release of Fortune Hunters 2260 and Earth-Brakiri War. Maybe DoW3 too but that was still a bit rough in 08. It's better in 09  :lol:
- Implimentation of Multiplayer with tons of missions and the Coop-Operations campaigns
- The Release of the TBP DVD along with the campaign pack 2.0
- Short mentioning of updated and new stuff that came out after CP2.0, especially the updated SF Pilot, Operations and the XMAS package

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
just curious: why is "FUB" missing on the whole list? :) Don't sell yourself short and add it to the multiplayer releases ;). By the way, the tutorial is named Achen Schooling Flight, not A.Flight School.

So how the hell do we summarize all that?

Well FUB is missing on the list because FUB made the list and didn't think about posting it for others to read.   :p

I have Achen in my text file.  Did it post as A. or something?  All I did was copy and paste.  :confused:

Summing the whole thing up is the fun part.  One thing I would like to see included is links to the stuff not included in the DVD or campaign pack. 
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 02:10:40 pm by FUBAR-BDHR »
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Vidmaster

could any of the native speakers do first draft? Maybe starting with It has been an interesting year for TBP  :lol:

Offline Vidmaster

Not all at the same time  :ick:

Why the hell do I have to do this, I am GERMAN!!!  :sigh: , the mother tongue is GERMAN!!! :sigh:

Okay, you ------, I'll do it.

2008 is over and with the contest starting, we thought it would be a good time to look back. The Babylon Project had a somewhat busy year with lots of new campaigns and the spectacular implementation of multiplayer.
But let's start where everything is supposed to start, in the beginning. 08 started with new material for our players, with the mini-campaign Dark Children in January and the highly anticipated sequel to Fortune Hunters, both made by Vidmaster. And while pilots were busy destroying the lesser races or being the galactic underdog going hero, the game itself was being worked on as well. Various changes occurred, most noteably the addition of the new Glide Codes with the help of Karajorma and multiplayer support along with the first missions. After having a few solid battles to take part in online, FUBAR-BHDR was responsible for creating an enormous amount of new and altered missions for players to dogfight each other, while the first Coop-Gauntlets by Vidmaster were released to the public. A regular Multiplayer Session time was introduced later, which is still valid today.
In April, TBP was declared FINAL by project leader IP Andrews and with it came new audiences (and download mirrors).
HIP63 did a great job building new installers and would continue to release packed TBP campaigns for easy install, culminating in the triumphant release of the TBP DVD in September.
But let's stay on track. The unprecedented stability TBP FINAL was a boon to mission designers and the summer brought fresh meat for the grinder again, especially with Madaboutgames' Earth-Brakiri War being finally released. Additional challenges for multiplayer and a new Tutorial mission, as well as various updates for older campaigns kept the Furies flying, we also saw the release of Operations, the first three Coop-Campaigns to tackle online.
The updates kept on coming for the rest of the year, with new fredders (=Mission Designers) joining the community and old ones returning, along with updates and first releases. We had teasers, demos, videos, new tools for fredders and the final chapter to Orph3u5's Drums of War Trilogy. And...       ...2008 came to an end. Already. Seemed pretty fast for me.

The year is 2009. The game is The Babylon Project.
See you out there in Hyperspace.

Post it FUBAR? I like it.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 02:00:40 pm by Vidmaster »

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
You always had a good way with words. Mother tongue or not. I agree this is extremely well written and very positive. I like the arbitrary use of the word "spectacular" :). One very small change I would make. TBP going FINAL is definitely noteworthy but could be misunderstood as TBP becoming DEAD. I suggest clarifying this and putting an accurately positive spin on it at the same time.

In April, TBP was declared FINAL by project leader IP Andrews and with it came new audiences (and download mirrors).
HIP63 did a great job building new installers and would continue to release packed TBP campaigns for easy install, culminating in the triumphant release of the TBP DVD in September.
The unprecedented stability of TBP FINAL was a boon to mission designers and the summer brought fresh meat for the grinder. Madaboutgames' released his long awaited Earth-Brakiri War. Additional challenges for multiplayer, a surprisingly entertaining new Tutorial mission, as well as various updates for older campaigns kept the Furies flying. We also saw the release of Operations 1.0, the first three Coop-Campaigns to tackle online.

[gramatical error corrected]

Makes me proud of what we all achieved.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 02:41:26 pm by IPAndrews »
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Vidmaster

agreed and changed (and one or two other things).

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Fixed FREDders and posted. 

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
I just uploaded a nice screenshot as the ones we have on the page at the moment are a bit flat and lifeless looking. Were they taken with the video features turned off or something? We could definitely do with some more nice screenshots as the present ones just don't convey how pretty TBP can be.

Offline Vidmaster

I think FUB turned on the gamma.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
I find the screenshots get the default desktop gamma instead of the in game one.  So you need to adjust it to get them back to the in game look.  As soon as I'm done with one mission and finish playing 3 others I go on another screenshot fest like I did for the DVD. 

Offline darkmaster

• TBP
    • Personal Website
Just read FUB's report and I would like to ask someone with power to remove the mission Nightmare from all TBP releases and anouncement since it was really the most stupid mission I have ever made.
TBP's apprentice FREDDER.

Campaign in development:
Guardian of Light (Demo state)(Download DEMO here)
The First Invasion - Part 1 (Planning Concept)

Single Mission :
Human-Narn First Contact (Download here)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
I don't think it is anywhere since I couldn't find the mission just the thread where you talked about it.  Only place it might be is the Campaign Pack 2.0 and if it is we can't really remove it from there. 

Offline VERTi60

• I have faith
    • NetStorm HQ
I'll try to make and post some more videos to MODDB before the voting deadline. Maybe it'll help some getting few more votes.
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed...
...it became something greater: Our last best hope for victory.

-watch or download The Babylon Project: Raider Wars the Movie-

-recorded TBP missions & campaigns-

-Freespace Portal SK-

-NetStorm: Islands at War, free online RTS game-

Offline Vidmaster

Just read FUB's report and I would like to ask someone with power to remove the mission Nightmare from all TBP releases and anouncement since it was really the most stupid mission I have ever made.

that's the way of the internet darkmaster. It remembers everything.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Getting nervous they started updating the page but the top 100 aren't up yet.    :shaking:

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Getting nervous they started updating the page but the top 100 aren't up yet.    :shaking:

Slightly obviously, if we can't get in the top 100 we aren't going to win  :lol:. So why be nervous? You're screenshots have been a fantastic addition to the page regardless.