Author Topic: GTVA Orion - Alternate High-polygon Version  (Read 49275 times)

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Re: GTVA Orion - Alternate High-polygon Version
Well if you only played the first few missions, it's apparent why you didn't like it :P  The action picks up after the first few, which is when it really gets good ;)  The first few missions are just there to establish backstory.
I got up to the point of the other species (Vishnan?) battling the thing that looks like a Sathanas but bigger. Anyway, I didn't necessarily want to go off-topic.

Link to the Orion:

http://img502.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screen0005nf3.jpg

Uh, that's like the second to last mission, lol.

Updated: I've killed off about 9000-10000 polygons and started to divide the finer details into sections. But what about the wreckage, how do I approach that part of the model?   :nervous:

As for the engines, I made them as they are because I found the original design very boring and unconvincing, so I tried to do something different which was still somewhat true to the original concept.
Must Crush Shivanism!

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Steam
well I like your engine desing so much better than the one we have now, the only problem with the one you've made will be the engine glow intersecting the hull, with your desing it will become insanely obvious.
el hombre vicio...

Offline peterv

...what about the wreckage, how do I approach that part of the model?   :nervous:

There are different approaches. Mine, is to imagine how the debris would be if the ship was exploded from the inside (smaller pieces for the center, more crumpied shapes for inner parts off the periphery).
However you will get the idea(s) by using this tool :
http://webzoom.freewebs.com/twisted-infinities-va/modviw32_high_limits.zip
Among other things, it shows all the Lods, including the debris.

Also i suggest you to read this :
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,37158.0.html
(provided that you'll ignore the "this is a game not an art show" part.  :lol:

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
DO FREAKING WANT!!!

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
But what about the wreckage, how do I approach that part of the model?   :nervous:

Don't touch it. The model wants to be textured before you make debris.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
yeah, you approach that by having a finished main hull first, then you cut it into chunks. but it needs to be textured first.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Snail

• SC 5
One suggestion, take into account the position of the docking point. It's on the bottom of the front thing, where the upper block sticks out.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie

Updated: I've killed off about 9000-10000 polygons and started to divide the finer details into sections. But what about the wreckage, how do I approach that part of the model?   :nervous:

As for the engines, I made them as they are because I found the original design very boring and unconvincing, so I tried to do something different which was still somewhat true to the original concept.

I think the engine just feels a tad "small" now. If you could scale them up - by moving the whole block toward the bow - then the sense of "balance" would be restored. The Orions have huge engines. It's that hugeness that still struggles to move a 2 km long tower of battle steel is what made the ship so "immense" for me.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Hmm, I don't remember that middle main turret being there (One on the top).
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
It isn't there on the normal Orion.
The Orion has 3 on the top and 2 on the bottom.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Which reminds me, it might be a good thing to change the big triple-barreled turret under the nose. It did fine in FS1, but it's a beam turret in FS2. IMHO, beam turrets shouldn't look like naval artillery guns.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Which reminds me, it might be a good thing to change the big triple-barreled turret under the nose. It did fine in FS1, but it's a beam turret in FS2. IMHO, beam turrets shouldn't look like naval artillery guns.
Agreed.

And please don't add extra turrets. I hate upgunned 'HTL-izations'.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Agreed.

Mmm, I suppose, especially when it fixes the Achilles heel of a specific ship so it can no longer be exploited...eg if someone added Flak turrets to the front of a deimos I would totally start a flamewar.

Agreed.

I think upgunning a ship is fine, so long as it can be completely explained why said change was made. I always thought the destroyers in FS2 (and expecially FS1) were undergunned, but hey that's just me.

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Any ship bearing additional turrets shall be vetoed.  Or at least the additional turrets deleted before it is added to the mediavps.  Basically you aren't allowed to change the balancing of the main FS campaign.  Also, that turret under the nose bears flak often enough to justify it being left alone.  IIRC there was alredy a discussion about something like that.  If you want to create upgunned or modified versions, that's fine. but the one that goes in the mediavps must be true to the original.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I think upgunning a ship is fine, so long as it can be completely explained why said change was made. I always thought the destroyers in FS2 (and expecially FS1) were undergunned, but hey that's just me.
100% agree, consequently my current weapon table mods help to compensate that though with immense fire rates and velocities.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki

I'm with Blowfish--that turret definitely needs to be in the same style as the old ones for the MVPs, but an alternate model with only that one turret modified might be a nice user mod.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

That turret definitely needs to be in the same style as the old ones for the MVPs.
Isn't it possible to fix it in the next release and add this model only then?

Don't get me wrong, I do like the triple-barreled artillery guns, but it's just ridiculous as a beam turret.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 11:51:42 am by FreeSpaceFreak »

Well I didn't add the Alternate label in the topic title for nothing  :blah:

I've always felt that FS capital ships were massively under-armed compared to their respected size and just thought that if any really wanted to "improve" the game they would also be dealing with this issue. The Shivans already got the most powerful weapons in the game and their current firepower would still out preform up-armed GTVA ships. But who am I to propose this...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 11:37:03 am by SPECTRE87 »
Must Crush Shivanism!