Author Topic: MechWarrior Online  (Read 269259 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: New MechWarrior Game?
I read it. It was pretty good. Still doesn't make up for that odd decision to abandon Coruscant.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Fomenting dissent on Coruscant because the Krytos virus only killed aliens.  She contaminated the ice cap reservoirs with Krytos and waited for it to all come together.  'Course, the thing with the mirrors didn't help matters any, from her perspective.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I understood all that.

It was just a really, really dumb plan. Worse, from a dramatic standpoint, it was a 'soft' plan with consequences that by necessity mostly occur off-screen. It fizzled out without ever really having a shot at working.

Not to mention she went crazy. Villains shouldn't do that, it ruins their credibility.

She should've been given as grand a death as Thrawn.

But Ysanne Isard isn't Thrawn.  The only person who should have as grand a death as Thrawn is Thrawn.  No other villain matches his level of strategic and tactical genius, plus his ability to divine winning tactics from random pieces of art is also pure win.  Plus he was one of the few Imperial leaders who wasn't completely bat**** mad.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Isard had her own strengths. What I mean by 'as grand a death' is one as fitting to her stature as a villain - which was really pretty decent.

Timothy Zahn and Mike Stackpole are good friends, and Zahn (the only one I've spent a lot of time with) is really friendly. I could ask him his opinion of his friend's creation Isard if you want.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Yeah, proton torpedo to the face does seem to be letting her off pretty easily.

I hear that gutshots are really painful though.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Damnation and hellfire.

I've realized I no longer have my MW4 soundtracks, and since BattleTech Mod Productions went down, there's nowhere offering them for download. :(
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Hmf, I had never really been a BT fan because I don't use Joysticks and MW is impossible to play without one, but having read up on that wiki that got posted earlier I learned I proceeded from a false assumption based on my MechCommander experience.  I always assumed that the Inner Sphere forces were the de facto "good guys" in the BT universe, with the Clans being some "faceless" oppressor force killing to kill or sommat.  Now I find out that from a perspective of the survival and improvement of Humanity, the gods damned Clan is the good guys.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Which is crazy talk, mind you.

So's the thing about joysticks, too, of course...

A Feddie Story

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Quote from: General Battuta
[Implying that the X-wing novels aren't perfect]

HERESY!
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Hmf, I had never really been a BT fan because I don't use Joysticks and MW is impossible to play without one, but having read up on that wiki that got posted earlier I learned I proceeded from a false assumption based on my MechCommander experience.  I always assumed that the Inner Sphere forces were the de facto "good guys" in the BT universe, with the Clans being some "faceless" oppressor force killing to kill or sommat.  Now I find out that from a perspective of the survival and improvement of Humanity, the gods damned Clan is the good guys.

Not really :)  Technically all the inner sphere goverments are not that good, especially Liao and later on Steiner after seperation, but the clans are a little more bad. Though their intention is to stop the wars and reunite the inner sphere, they have a perveted sociality with all the cloning and class system and even the sort of slavery when taking prisoners.

As for me, I always sympathize with Victor :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline mxlm

No, no, that's a myth produced by the videogames (and oddly, I believe, some of the novels.) Fusion reactors really shouldn't go critical like that, and in the board game there's absolutely no way to get a 'mech to do that. If the fusion reactor takes a lot of direct damage, it simply doesn't work any more.

My copy of the original Maximum Tech claims otherwise. You lying liar who lies. I mean, yes, it says 'this is physically impossible,' but then it says, 'Here are the rules for it anyway'

It's a matter of real life logic or ingame coolness. So rather give the player a look on the great explosion than make a logical ejection system that refuse you the view

I suspect that was their view, but in fact that's a false binary choice. They might, for example, have had the sequence go awry.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 05:54:10 am by mxlm »
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
My copy of the original Maximum Tech claims otherwise. You lying liar who lies. I mean, yes, it says 'this is physically impossible,' but then it says, 'Here are the rules for it anyway'

Maximum Tech is explicitly "this is bat**** crazy and we're not having any of that crap in our canonicity or games, but you idiots insisted", otherwise referred to as "Level 3 rules".

The only incident that really played it up in the novels was Kai's Hatchetman. You see a couple of other catastrophic containment failures, but they're not nearly as impressive as this, or MechWarrior 4's (which was really the first game to do them). Mostly they just make a fried mess out of the upper body of the 'Mech that bought it and aren't good for any collateral damage.

Hell, you get more collateral damage mileage out of ammo explosions in most novels. :P

A Feddie Story

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Hmf, I had never really been a BT fan because I don't use Joysticks and MW is impossible to play without one, but having read up on that wiki that got posted earlier I learned I proceeded from a false assumption based on my MechCommander experience.  I always assumed that the Inner Sphere forces were the de facto "good guys" in the BT universe, with the Clans being some "faceless" oppressor force killing to kill or sommat.  Now I find out that from a perspective of the survival and improvement of Humanity, the gods damned Clan is the good guys.

Not really :)  Technically all the inner sphere goverments are not that good, especially Liao and later on Steiner after seperation, but the clans are a little more bad. Though their intention is to stop the wars and reunite the inner sphere, they have a perveted sociality with all the cloning and class system and even the sort of slavery when taking prisoners.

As for me, I always sympathize with Victor :)

Anything is better than ComStar and/or WoB.. though it seemed CS gained some measure of sanity after they broke... I mean organization devoted to prevent and hinder by any covert (and sometimes even overt) means possible the technological development and progress in Inner Sphere is kinda nasty... Though they needed funny story to complement the Jihad storylines.. Just wished they had stopped before the Dork Age thing.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

Huh? I played every single Mechwarrior with mouse and keyboard like any other shooter.

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
Damnation and hellfire.

I've realized I no longer have my MW4 soundtracks, and since BattleTech Mod Productions went down, there's nowhere offering them for download. :(

The BT Wiki at sarna.net has them somewhere or other.
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
There are no good guys in BT... that's why it's so great.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft

Huh? I played every single Mechwarrior with mouse and keyboard like any other shooter.

Yup. It actually plays pretty well the way I have it set up: Mouse twists torso, W/S accelerates, A/D turns the mech. Up until then, I had never really laterally twisted at the torso; fighting had just consisted of me running up to the bad guys, then walking back, and so on and so forth until one of us were dead.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Every comeptent commander in the history of war is rolling in his(her?) graves at that statement.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
So BT is the poorman's 40k without the dark gods and sadistic elves bringing the pain, only misguided and utterly selfish politicians and tyrants who will do and say anything to increase they're powerbase.  YAY!  Social commentary from a tabletop game.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.