Author Topic: MechWarrior Online  (Read 269255 times)

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Re: New MechWarrior Game?
Huh.  I'm going to have to say HERC.  Mechs do have a lot of armor, but I don't think ferro-fibrous armor and endo steel chassis will last long against plasma cannons, and anything short of a bunch of missiles, a Gauss Rifle, a PPC, or an X-Pulse Large Laser probably won't do much to a HERC's energy screens.  Plus HERC's have a fair amount of pretty tough armor themselves I'm guessing.

I beg to differ. :)

A PPC is a Plasma Pulse Cannon.
So why, if i may ask, is a plasma cannon more powerful then a plasma pulse cannon?

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
He's saying anything short of a bunch of missiles, a Gauss Rifle, a PPC, or an X-Pulse Large Laser probably won't do much to a HERC's energy screens. That means any weapon that doesn't fit into one of these categories isn't going to do much damage.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
yeah, misread the post, sorry my bad.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I beg to differ. :)

A PPC is a Plasma Pulse Cannon.
So why, if i may ask, is a plasma cannon more powerful then a plasma pulse cannon?

Ummm. No. PPC = Particle Projector (or Projection) Cannon. Has been that way since forever. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particle_projection_cannon#Energy_weapons

Granted, their description make it sound like a plasma cannon, but the acronym is something different.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
75-ton BattleMechs never go above 12 meters, and the average is between 9 and 10.

The Thor/Summoner is 12 meters at 70 tons. The Olympus from Starsiege is 80 tons and barely 9 meters. I was being generous regarding the Apocalypse MkI and Mk IV and the like, which are 60/65 tons and about 12 meters.

I'd say this is pure speculation. Most battletech mechs look flimsy. Their joins and legs are very thin and fragile or show no signs of any armoring at all on very important places.

And HERCs take even less care in this. What's your point, assuming you had one?

The BattleMech has been in service for centuries. They are an extremely redundant and highly refined design. A HERC that loses its armor just goes down. A 'Mech will be able to fight on even after losing limbs or a whole side torso. Unlike HERCs their weapons are internal and cannot be shot off with ease to neuter them. BattleMechs also demonstrate more advanced weapons; the Gauss rifle has already been mentioned as an example of the kind of power output a BattleMech is capable of, and the PPC is a clearly superior design to the ELF yet both work on the same principles.

The HERC, though, has shielding. Scout HERCs and scout 'Mechs are usually tied, but from medium-class up the HERCs are usually faster and more manuverable, though lacking the close-quarters versatility of a torso twist. Just to mire the issue badly, the Martian Civilization weapons the Resistance picked up in Starsiege put the weapons problem in doubt once more.

As a practical matter, they're probably about equal in terms of battlefield endurance. It comes down to tactics employed and weapons whose strength we can't judge.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
Look, there are plasma weapons (the plasma rifle and plasma gun) in Battletech, both of which, ironically, are LESS plasma weapons than the PPC. The plasma rifle fires basically chunks of superheated foam crap, and the plasma gun is sort of a flamethrower deal (I forget its actual name.)

The CCAF's Plasma Rifle has the damage of a PPC, with the added benefit that it also raises the target's heat by 1-6 (or just roasts the hell out of infantry). The downside is it only has the range of a Large Laser, and it has the unfortunate necessity for ammo supply.

The Clan "plasma cannon" is basically a long-range heavy flamer, also reliant on ammo. It can roast infantry, but the burning foam won't do much to a target Mech besides increase its heat scale (but up to 12 added heat on an opponent is nothing to scoff at).

And about the names: Personally, I use what I think is the more iconic name for each Mech, or failing that, whatever name causes the least confusion. (My RP character has a reason for this stance; me, I'm just bored.)

* My use of the name Hellhound refers solely to the 50-ton Omni seen in MW4:Mercs, so that the second-liner can unequivocally be called the Conjurer. (Incidentally, the latter was supposed to have once been the Wolverine IIC, but was renamed for obvious reasons.)
* There are two mechs which could be called the Viper. Rather than confuse people, I don't use that name at all. I use Dragonfly for the 40-ton Omni (it fits better anyway) and Black Python for the 75-ton second-liner.
* Mad Cat is shorter than Timber Wolf. Not to mention there are the Clan spinoff designs based on it which don't even bother using the Timber Wolf name. (Mad Cat Mk2, anyone? That's not an IS callsign, that's actually what the Diamond Sharks named it.)
* Because I'm already using Mad Cat, Mad Dog seems kinda redundant. Not to mention there's also an unrelated War Dog. Vulture it is, just for ease of differentiation, and because the Mech itself looks much more birdlike than like a canine of any kind.
* Because I didn't play Ghost Bear's Legacy, I don't think of the 3055 Clan mechs with their Clan designations. The only exception is Goshawk, which I have no idea how I should pronounce (gaw-shawk? go-shock? goss-hawk? :nervous: ) so I stick with Vapor Eagle. Oh, and the above examples of the Black Python and Conjurer.
* I did play standard MW2, so these Mechs are forever etched into my consciousness with their Clan names: Firemoth, Kit Fox, Nova, Stormcrow, Gargoyle, Warhawk, and Dire Wolf. In the case of the Nova, I use its IS designation Black Hawk solely to refer to the 60-ton Kurita knockoff.
* Thor, Loki, Koshi, and Fenris are shorter than Summoner, Hellbringer, Mist Lynx, and Ice Ferret, the last of which sounds much less menacing than its IS name anyway.
* The 95-ton Omni will forever be a Gladiator to me, simply because I saw too damn many poptarting Gladbags in MW4:Mercs. I know there's also a Kurita 55-tonner. But it's so old and rare as to not matter much to me, apart from Keller's custom retool.
* Finally, both Adder and Puma work as far as I'm concerned, but I'll stick with Adder because there is also a Star League Puma assault tank. And the mech was made by the Star Adders anyway, so it fits better.

So yeah, I'm done.
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
* The 95-ton Omni will forever be a Gladiator to me, simply because I saw too damn many poptarting Gladbags in MW4:Mercs. I know there's also a Kurita 55-tonner. But it's so old and rare as to not matter much to me, apart from Keller's custom retool.

Whatnow? Kurita? 55-tonner? Gladiator?

I'm drawing a blank on this one from the TROs.

A Feddie Story

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
You absolutely, positively cannot attempt to apply real-world physics to Battletech. Unless someone wants to explain how a mach 10 projectile's effective range, even against infantry, is less than a kilometer (or was it around 1.5km? Whatever, it's still ludicrous). Or as Cray over on the CBT boards pointed out, for an aerospace fighter to get the kind of acceleration it does, its engine has to produce more energy than the entirety of human civilization in the year 2009.
2 words: inertial damping
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
They don't have that kind of tech in BT. Not even artificial gravity.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
I want to fight on the outsides of spaceships again. But I want to be able to walk around the whole ship, reorienting as I go.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

I use the IS designations for two reasons.  I first heard the names in MW4:Mercs, my first serious attempt at playing a MechWarrior game, so they are basically stuck with me.  Second reason is I'm not a dirty vat-born Clanner.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
The Summoner is also one of the tallest BattleMechs in BattleTech.  Weight is not automatically height.

The official fluff reason that ranges are so low in BattleTech is that those ranges are the only ranges that it would be possible to inflict any meaningful damage on a 'Mech's magic armor.

As a proud Jade Falcon, I use Clan designations whenever possible.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
The BattleMech has been in service for centuries. They are an extremely redundant and highly refined design.

That's what the fluff sez. The looks of the mechs themselves doesn't always agree with that. I recall seeing exposed pneumatics on some mechs.

A HERC that loses its armor just goes down. A 'Mech will be able to fight on even after losing limbs or a whole side torso. Unlike HERCs their weapons are internal and cannot be shot off with ease to neuter them.

Exactly how does a bipedal mech with no arms fight after losing it's legs? :wtf:

Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Exactly how does a bipedal mech with no arms fight after losing it's legs? :wtf:

Exactly how does a HERC that loses a leg fight?

Oh wait, that's right. It doesn't. A BattleMech can fight on after losing a leg, or both arms.

A Feddie Story

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
As long as it has two limbs, in any combination, a BattleMech can keep fighting.  They can even do so without limbs.  It is funny when a 'Mech you though was out of play blasts someone with a torso mounted heavy weapon from prone.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
One thing I think starsiege had over MT was the in game omniweb. The chatter going on as the gierling platform fought on and eventually fell was truly epic and choked me up. Also I still have bad dreams about the siren program.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

Oh wait, that's right. It doesn't. A BattleMech can fight on after losing a leg, or both arms.

I never claimed it could. That would just stupid. Once you blast off a mechs/hercs leg, it falls down. Without arms, it can't get up. And the fall would probably do a number on it's weapons and other systems. Simple logic.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Roanoke

this thread is getting way too geeky.... :p

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Welcome to a scifi game fansite. Exits are non existant. Enjoy your stay.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

I never claimed it could. That would just stupid. Once you blast off a mechs/hercs leg, it falls down. Without arms, it can't get up. And the fall would probably do a number on it's weapons and other systems. Simple logic.

Actually, I believe the fall does 1 point of damage for every 5 tons the 'Mech weighs, divided into five-point clusters and adjusted by the 'facing after a fall' table.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 03:07:08 pm by General Battuta »