Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 905831 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
Question: Can I find that song from the end (which I think is made by ORIGA, if QVP is to be trusted) on iTunes? I can't find it!

Aney, Unborn Child by Origa. There's a remixed version by Darius also included in BP2.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Wait...Origa's in here?  Like the GITS: Stand-Alone Complex themes Origa?  Now I really want it. :(

Its not there. Searching the title, artist, or album gives no results on iTunes.
This is my only contribution to FSSCP

These mods are made from natural code that we pump in from retail. If you tried to run one, it would be like standing outside with nostalgia and pure awesome shining on your face. It would also set your computer on fire, so don't actually do it.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Its not there. Searching the title, artist, or album gives no results on iTunes.

Here.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Dammit Battuta you've ****ed my mind sideways, Dilmah told me it was you!
That mission was ****ing freakier than the Transcendant!
I think my spine froze.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Oh, Darius was also responsible!

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
I just remembered.

Spoiler:
Does the ending remind anyone of Descent 3's opening? I think there was more than one Descent reference in the mod as well, but I forgot.
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline thorbin

Whoa whoa whoa dude.

Are those mods you have not in their own folders?
It would appear so. These are likely from a mod I installed over a year ago (I have had this FS2 installation on my PC a while). I have removed the 5 mod related VPs from my Freespace 2 root folder, and will try again. I will post the results later.

In addition to removing this mod VPs from my root folder, a couple of my MediaVP downloads were corrupt, so I replaced those files with fresh downloads. WiH now works as advertised. In fact, I just reached the first mission in Act 2, and have to get some sleep. 

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Sleep is a crutch. :P

Hi, brand new to the boards so I'm unsure if this is the right place to be posted, but I appear to have encountered a bug on the Delenda Est mission (which I know is such happy happy news to you all  :D )

Details in the spoiler

Spoiler:

Basically, the event timings are severely out of whack.  The main offender is the Jackknife attack group.  Over the course of the 30 (not an exaggeration) attempts it took to finally beat this mission the Jackknife attack group never entered the engagement at the same time twice.  I had them never show up, I never had them jump in at what I assume is the correct point (after the final strike squadrons from the Tev destroyer are wiped out), but I had them show up everywhere else.  The vast majority of the time they jumped early, usually either before or immediately after the 30+ strike craft are launched.  Once they even arrived before the Jackknife order was given, I did not load from the checkpoint in that instance working on the possibility that that may be the source of the insanity, leaving me 10 clicks away and completely unable to do anything before they were diced into confetti.

Obviously, this makes the mission extremely difficult because 1) You're nowhere near the Tev corvettes you need to disarm and 2) there are still 30+ strike craft who will eat you and your wingmates alive should you ignore them and focus on the corvettes.  As mentioned earlier, it took me 30-ish tries to actually complete the mission, and I suspect my success is mainly based on lucky torpedo hits from the frigates and not any exceptional flying by myself.

there are other little oddities too, like the 2nd Tev corvette in the initial fight never wanting to jump out ever, and gamma wing starting out 5 clicks from you if you load from checkpoint 1 (making them basically useless for the massive charlie-foxtrot that immediately ensues) that kind of mar the whole fun factor as well.

I hate to give bad feedback because, on the whole, I have enjoyed AoA and WiHp1 immensely.  But unfortunately the finale got reduced to an incredibly frustrating experience for me.

Offline Kolgena

Spoiler:
I just helped the War Gods steal the logistics vessel. My character got 2 days rest. I think I deserve some sleep too now. Probably shouldn't have started the campaign at 11:30...
So far:

-the dream mission was a pain in the ass but cool. Also reminded me a lot of Dead Space. How did it turn out that just tapping T got the boxes in the right order regardless of proximity to ship?

-flashing images when you first go crazy went way over my head. I could make out that the first flash was an eye (that was probably 4:3 distorted to 16:9), but the subsequent ones were a little hard to identify from lack of vsync and stretch distortion. Was that Earth? Oh, what is INDG or whatever the 5th one was? Also, was a little annoying trying to keep track of messages and the status numbers at the same time. They're too far apart on my screen :(

-I killed my hostage by accident. Objective told me to get a missile lock, so I did, but that didn't do anything. Then I accidently pressed the right mouse button :(

-the new interceptor I get flies at 200. ...wow. It even goes 120+ backwards. Yet to use that properly in combat though. One thing: its briefing .ani is all jerky and ugly looking. And very very GTVA in scheme.

-characters in general get lovely development even though there's such huge limitations to how you can interact with them. (ie, read briefing text, which ironically, is never brief)

-apotheosis? Does that mean I get to fly uber-rigged Vishnan ships later on? Not like UEF fighters aren't tons better than anything GTVA has already...

-never thought I'd dismay at Orestes jumping in, until I realized it wasn't the Orestes but another Raynor. I actually thought "omg we're all ****ed"

-clever use of the recommendations in the debrief.

-not sure how I'll ever be able to fly GTVA fighters again. They're all junk.

-k sleep.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Hi, brand new to the boards so I'm unsure if this is the right place to be posted, but I appear to have encountered a bug on the Delenda Est mission (which I know is such happy happy news to you all  :D )

Details in the spoiler

Spoiler:

Basically, the event timings are severely out of whack.  The main offender is the Jackknife attack group.  Over the course of the 30 (not an exaggeration) attempts it took to finally beat this mission the Jackknife attack group never entered the engagement at the same time twice.  I had them never show up, I never had them jump in at what I assume is the correct point (after the final strike squadrons from the Tev destroyer are wiped out), but I had them show up everywhere else.  The vast majority of the time they jumped early, usually either before or immediately after the 30+ strike craft are launched.  Once they even arrived before the Jackknife order was given, I did not load from the checkpoint in that instance working on the possibility that that may be the source of the insanity, leaving me 10 clicks away and completely unable to do anything before they were diced into confetti.

Obviously, this makes the mission extremely difficult because 1) You're nowhere near the Tev corvettes you need to disarm and 2) there are still 30+ strike craft who will eat you and your wingmates alive should you ignore them and focus on the corvettes.  As mentioned earlier, it took me 30-ish tries to actually complete the mission, and I suspect my success is mainly based on lucky torpedo hits from the frigates and not any exceptional flying by myself.

there are other little oddities too, like the 2nd Tev corvette in the initial fight never wanting to jump out ever, and gamma wing starting out 5 clicks from you if you load from checkpoint 1 (making them basically useless for the massive charlie-foxtrot that immediately ensues) that kind of mar the whole fun factor as well.

I hate to give bad feedback because, on the whole, I have enjoyed AoA and WiHp1 immensely.  But unfortunately the finale got reduced to an incredibly frustrating experience for me.

wtf

It sounds like you have a borked pilot file. That is not a bug we've ever seen.

wtf

I figured it was something specific to me, but I also figured it was best to bring it up since I'm not exactly a modder and could be wrong.

If you want me to provide anything data wise I'm happy to help out, nothing else popped up the entire campaign.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

wtf

I figured it was something specific to me, but I also figured it was best to bring it up since I'm not exactly a modder and could be wrong.

If you want me to provide anything data wise I'm happy to help out, nothing else popped up the entire campaign.

No, you did exactly the right thing. We need to sort this out!

Can you launch your FreeSpace 2 install using WiH as a mod and then post the debug log? If you don't know how to generate one see the Support forum.

If you have a VP viewer like VPView (duh), could you also do me a favor and extract the bp2-15 mission file and send the text file to me via Pastebin? I need to make sure something hasn't gone wrong, because the mission file is quite explicit that
Spoiler:
the Jackknife ships will ONLY arrive once the Indus is precisely 8618 meters from the Carthage.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 03:28:49 am by General Battuta »

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Spoiler:
-flashing images when you first go crazy went way over my head. I could make out that the first flash was an eye (that was probably 4:3 distorted to 16:9), but the subsequent ones were a little hard to identify from lack of vsync and stretch distortion. Was that Earth? Oh, what is INDG or whatever the 5th one was? Also, was a little annoying trying to keep track of messages and the status numbers at the same time. They're too far apart on my screen :(
Spoiler:
The fifth one was NGRI. Short for Nagari. See BP website, apparently links still appear in Spoiler tags. I didn't get what NGRI stood for either. When I realized, chills literally shot through my spine.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 03:36:11 am by Snail »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Oh hey, thedjstu, do you remember if you started a new pilot file before kicking off War in Heaven? Just a diagnostic question, I don't think you're any breed of numbskull.  ;)

I gotta turn in. Another BP myrmidon should be along shortly to help out. If not, back in eight hours!

Wait! Bolt from the blue while brushing my teeth.

Did these problems you were having occur while replaying the mission after death or a mission failure? Did you hit either 'restart mission' on the death screen or 'replay mission' in the failure debrief?

If so, this closely resembles a bug I recently had using a late or final 3.6.12 build, in which missions could intermittently bork up when replaying. Events would trigger randomly (or not at all) and stuff was just...weird. QuantumDelta claims the bug may date back to retail.

You may be able to avoid the bug by quitting out to the main menu after every play and then restarting by pressing 'continue'. Your checkpoints should be preserved.

You may have been the victim of a code-side problem. That makes it all the more urgent to get that debug log!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 05:08:05 am by Jeff Vader »

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Moddb download mirror added to WiH release topic.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
:yes: to ModDB pimping!
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Seems like WiH got coverage on Moddb front page. :D

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I see it, too. It's also at the top of the "Popular Mods" list, on the right. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]