Author Topic: What do you want in the rest of War in Heaven?  (Read 190173 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: What do you want in the rest of War in Heaven?
If you pay close attention, this is what happens with the Gefs in R1:

1. The Gefs attack the Nauticus transport and attempt to extract its cargo. For some reason a GTVA tactical transport is present.

2. The Gefs attack the Vasudan logistics ship Pesedjet. Later it becomes clear that this attack was carried out in cooperation with Admiral Steele, but it was supposed to look like the Gefs carried out the attack on UEF orders, so the UEF could save or capture the logistics ship.

3. The Gefs attack the Shepseskaf, pretending to work for the UEF, so that the Vasudans will break off negotiations.

Kostadin Cell is cooperating with Steele because they share an agenda.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 08:53:45 am by General Battuta »

Offline starlord

surely they must see that steele will not tolerate the GEF militia once he retakes sol? :confused:

Offline -Norbert-

Why would they?
They have no information on the GTVA except that, which the UEF made public (unless they have spys very high up in the UEF) and I doubt the databanks of the deserters had much written about how the GTVA treats their enviroment.

Since the GEFs are hunted by the current administration in Sol, they have nothing to lose. At worst they switch one hunter for the another. At best the GTVA is more symathetic to their goals than the UEF was, however that might work out.

And even if the GTVA turns out to be the same (in regards of "planet raping"), then the GEFs might still have made some profit (like Argo transports and GTVA intel on the UEF).

Besides they are fanatics. And fanatics often do things that seem ludicrous to anyone else (like planting a big bomb on something you want to capture for example).

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
How about his gamble coming out, the Vasudans pulling out of Sol and Steele being demoted to wing leader and subsequently dueling with Laporte (kinda like the SoC missiong take two)? That sounds like fun.
You'd still lose. :P

Steele flies his Erinyes with one arm and still gets a medal for it.

No, he flies fighters in the manliest way possible: with his knees.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Besides they are fanatics. And fanatics often do things that seem ludicrous to anyone else (like planting a big bomb on something you want to capture for example).

If it's 'capture at best, deny at worst', that's not a bad move.

Offline -Norbert-

Could we confine the Steele wankery to the fact generator thread please?

Offline Qent

They have no information on the GTVA except that, which the UEF made public
That was almost all of it I thought.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Could we confine the Steele wankery to the fact generator thread please?
Actually you'll find what I said at least was true. :P

Offline Flak

They have no information on the GTVA except that, which the UEF made public
That was almost all of it I thought.

The other way applies too. Nothing has been revealed about the Ubuntu council's motivation and what they have been doing behind the scene.

Offline -Norbert-

I guess the UEF probably published all they knew, but I somehow doubt that the GTVA deserters and databanks had much to say about how the alliance treats their enviroments.
Unless there were some noteworthy incidents, big enough to make it into the histry archives, matters of pollution and such usually aren't recorded, even more so on military vessels.

Offline Deadly in a Shadow

• Buntu!
What I want?

1. Moar Dakka!
2. Moar Story!
3. Advanced Fed-Tactics!*

*I mean, if the Tevs are firing with Trebs on little Earth-Fighters, the Ubuntu people have to fire with paveway-missiles back... and taking big vessels into really bad shape.

1.Jumping out of subspace
2.Paveway to the subsystem
*Subsystem dusted*
3.Ran/jump for God's sake.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 01:59:25 pm by Deadly in a Shadow »
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"
"Uh, Sir we can hear the explosion."
"No you can't, there is no air in space. Sound can't travel through a vacuum!"

I read this entire thread and didn't see anyone say this: More pompous music score! Its what really makes the missions in BP so amazing. Nothing gets you more pumped then some of these tracks.

I especially like the music selection in WiH. I would like the future releases to follow this style. When I played AoA I though the music was breathtaking but schizophrenic at times. Switch from metal to electronica mid-flight or playing a merry jig during a duel with the Sathanas.

WiH decided upon a particular tone and the result is near perfection. I only squinted when I heard the Apocalyptica track but that was because I recognized the song and thinking about it blew the immersion.

Apart from that the choral laments during capship struggles perfectly fits the atmosphere of playing as the underdog UEF. With every loss accompanied with grievous tones.

May I suggest a track that would IMO fit in nicely? It's very pompous and would psyche the player up before or during a large scale engagement. I always wanted to FRED a mission with this piece but as my skills are lacking I wonder if the find could maybe inspire the BP team.  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJs5PF0Uz10&feature=related

Offline -Norbert-

Considering the situation the 14th battlegroup was in in AoA, I think the changes in the music fit. They were constantly tossed into new situations never knowing what comes next after all (with the only constant being the disarming of Shivan beams :P).
The only thing about the music in the DC that I didn't like was, that they didn't change the music of "Lucifer" to the planetkiller theme. But that isn't really a problem. Extract the mission, change the music-generating event and stick it in the missions folder. Maybe two minutes.

The WiH music fits WiH perfectly.... but I think it wouldn't work quite as good for AoA.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 05:57:13 pm by -Norbert- »

Offline Infamus

I have some music suggestions:

Blinder by Phoenix Down Machine: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/175143

Cirrus by Hue and Saturation: http://hughandsaturation.com/Hugh%20and%20Saturation.rar (its a package)

Light Improv by Rev (Planetdescent of IGN, the original host of the Descent Community Album, is down permanently due to a massive virus, but i have the whole album and can upload a copy of Light Improv.)

I believe all of the above are under the GNU GPL or the Creative Commons License.

also, you may have to buy it, but check out Fusion Rider by groovystar on Myspace.
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH
BARRA
BARRA
BARRA CUDA
yeah

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Light Improv by Rev (Planetdescent of IGN, the original host of the Descent Community Album, is down permanently due to a massive virus, but i have the whole album and can upload a copy of Light Improv.)

Oh hey, I have that too ... somewhere. :nervous:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline starlord

actually, as music suggestions go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GHYvyBZa8M

I believe the track to be from an ace combat game. Could be tricky to implement but IMO nicely fitting for a finale...

Offline Infamus

oh and I have another one.

Guitar Vs. Piano 1.2 by Goukisan: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/53576

Also, I think that BP is too damn dramatic, it only has about two seconds of comic relief.  In real wars, soldiers will joke even in the middle of a firefight some times, occasionally but still. This mod reminds me too much of BSG where everyone is yelling for some reason. SG: Universe isn't any better or  it's worse, though.

You guys need to add a major character who has a dark sense of humor, yet can still kick ass on the battle field. No more of this 'all of the jokers die' sort of thing please.' It is probably one of the most Hollywood-like features on BP, and I am sure that not one person on HLP is a Hollywood person. oh and I have a persona for this new guy I would like to see on BP too.

-Dislikes Ubuntu, greatly

-Can directly communicate to anyone using Nagari. (if you say that this is stupid then you suck, if you ask me why, then you are a reasonable person and I will explain myself)

-Hates emos

-Joined Fayadeen because they know how to kill stuff. And NO they did not find him, this guy found the Fayadeen. (is that how you spell it?)

-Had a job as a mechanical repairman before going military

-Knows just how cruel the universe can be, and how to pay it back in full.

-Knows that the Great Civil War is a bunch of shivan-orchestrated crap, to soften the Terran species' military.

-His hero is 'Chesty' Puller

-loves a good joke, dirty or clean.

-Likes Tev technology over Fed tech, but likes the ships and reactor quality of the Feds.

-After getting a hold of a basic Tev database he learns that the shivans had their guns set on 'stun' during the Great War.

-He is only a 1st Lt. because when he was in the UEF military, he was caught combining Fed and Tev tech to get something awsome and one of his CO's, a devout Ubuntu practicer, said that what he was doing was like selling his soul to the shivans, so the 'new guy' chewed him the hell out and when AWOL and joined the Fayadeen long before he was ever publicly demoted. That doesn't matter anymore, cause' hes Fayadeen now. unless it does?  :nervous:

Sure, there are a lot of good movies and shows out there, but I am talking about main-stream style. Film companies are too into it; it's just dumb. What BP needs is some humor, and quotes from famous military commanders.

The game-play is great, but the GTVA ships are under-powered, they need more speed and armor.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 05:13:58 pm by Infamus »
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH
BARRA
BARRA
BARRA CUDA
yeah

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
You guys need to add a major character who has a dark sense of humor, yet can still kick ass on the battle field.

We do have one in mind named Laporte.  :nervous:

You guys need to add a major character who has a dark sense of humor, yet can still kick ass on the battle field. No more of this 'all of the jokers die' sort of thing please.' It is probably one of the most Hollywood-like features on BP, and I am sure that not one person on HLP is a Hollywood person. oh and I have a persona for this new guy I would like to see on BP too.

Hm, while I love dark humor, I just don't think suddenly introducing sort of a Duke Nukem-badass character would work too well, especially after the last one who tried to fit that role turned out to hide his weakness behind such a mask. I actually think that we have some sort of "war isn't always grief and bitterness" feel with the leisure activities on the Indus. I don't say it's inherently a bad idea, I just think it would clash so much with the established setting, it could potentially ruin the thing.

-Dislikes Ubuntu, greatly
Fair enough, I think many characters from Mars or Jupiter could be portrayed like that easily and believably.

-Can directly communicate to anyone using Nagari. (if you say that this is stupid then you suck, if you ask me why, then you are a reasonable person and I will explain myself)

Well, I don't say it IS stupid, but it certainly SOUNDS stupid, unless your explanation is truly awesome.

-Hates emos

Wait, the insufferable emo subculture survived for centuries? No wonder the Shivans go human-hunting...

And if you mean "clinically depressed people" or "people with borderline", then... No, just no. There's nothing badass about a character who thinks kicking the weak when they're down is awesome.

-Joined Fayadeen because they know how to kill stuff. And NO they did not find him, this guy found the Fayadeen. (is that how you spell it?)

That would be kind of hard to pull off without making the Feyadeen lose their status as an organisation, more bent on gathering information about all that mystical science stuff. I guess it could be pulled off kind of like that: Our badass found them, wasn't interested on their research and intel operations, but said "you let me kick ass and take names or I'll spoil everything I discovered" and they reluctantly accepted, something like that.

-Had a job as a mechanical repairman before going military

OK, that's awesome.

-Knows just how cruel the universe can be, and how to pay it back in full.
Well, he is supposed to be a grim badass, so that's a given I think

-Knows that the Great Civil War is a bunch of shivan-orchestrated crap, to soften the Terran species' military.
Knows or suspects? Have there been spoilers I missed in my long absence?

-His hero is 'Chesty' Puller
OK, why not. But I always thought it funny that in fiction in the future out of necessity they always choose heroes that we would know in our present time

-loves a good joke, dirty or clean.
That should be a trait of every likeable character I guess.

-Likes Tev technology over Fed tech, but likes the ships and reactor quality of the Feds.
Hm, OK, I guess theres not much to argue with that. As an ex-mechanic I'd expect him to openly drool over some tech specs.

-After getting a hold of a basic Tev database he learns that the shivans had their guns set on 'stun' during the Great War.
Again, I guess I missed something, but that might actually have been in the material I already read (which is of course now weeks ago). The Feds don't/didn't know that yet?

-He is only a 1st Lt. because when he was in the UEF military, he was caught combining Fed and Tev tech to get something awsome and one of his CO's, a devout Ubuntu practicer, said that what he was doing was like selling his soul to the shivans, so the 'new guy' chewed him the hell out and when AWOL and joined the Fayadeen long before he was ever publicly demoted. That doesn't matter anymore, cause' hes Fayadeen now. unless it does?  :nervous:
I guess if he had a good way of joining, it would work. But I don't think it is believeable actually. Where in Ubuntu does it say "don't use technology of the enemy, or you will become the enemy!"?

Sure, there are a lot of good movies and shows out there, but I am talking about main-stream style. Film companies are too into it; it's just dumb. What BP needs is some humor, and quotes from famous military commanders.

The game-play is great, but the GTVA ships are under-powered, they need more speed and armor.

Hm, I have a hard time believing that the GTVA are underpowered. It has been some days now since I booted WiH up, but they didn't feel underpowered to me. Are you basing that on .tbl entries or what you thought playing the campaign?

And, actually, what you describe sounds a lot like mainstream 90s grim-and-gritty character to me. Not that anything's wrong with that on it's own, but I just can't see that fitting into WiH, unless it's pulled off really really good, with a voiceacting genius and a dialogue author who made a pact with the devil to increase his skill.