Author Topic: MVP Beams  (Read 17563 times)

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
You're pretty much boned when it comes to the LRed though, both Destroyer and Cruiser-mounted it'll need a very good compromise.

Offline Qent

While firing (i.e. not considering refire wait or pulse length) an LRed does less DPS than a BGreen.   O.o

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I mean in origin and beam size. You think the SGreens on the Aeolus are bad, the LRed noms Liliths nearly whole.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 12:47:36 pm by Commander Zane »

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Steam
And that's just awesome.... it looks terrifying.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Terrifying? More like terrible.

Offline Qent

Subjective. Like beam fade, except maybe not so dramatic.

Offline Kolgena

Terrifying? More like terrible.

This is how I tell if it's a lilith or a cain if it's far away. If it resembles a mobile Mjolnir, it means I should lug out some trebs.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Steam
Yes, terrifying.
When I see the energy build up I know I have to be away or else.
If you make it smaller I'll be like.. "dammit, that little piece of **** made me loose?"
el hombre vicio...

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
For the record, I am of the opinion that this needs to make a comeback, along with matching colour scheme for all the shivan beams.

EDIT: And looking at the actual table in fsusvn, it seems they do use these beamglows now.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 04:26:27 pm by Herra Tohtori »
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
It's odd that the glows are red but the beams are pink, I think. I'd rather the beams be red. :<
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Sololop

I concur with the downsize of the beam glow. The Aeolus should, in theory, be tearing itself to shreds.

Shivan beams I think are fine as they are, anyway. Big and Overpowering, as they should be.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
I like the size changes myself.
That beam from the Aeolus is cringe-worthy.
But that is what that ship is outfitted with and the idea of mucking about the load-out and the tables just to provide a specific variant, while not inconceivable, would be a pain in the arse.
And I'm not going to break the balance of the Retail missions by changing the load-out to a different weapon that is more aesthetically pleasing or take up the room to table an identical-in-all-but-visual-respects copy either.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Nighteyes

I remember I made a recolored shivan beam, I made them red instead of pink... I honestly don't understand why they are pink in the mediavps...

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
Guess the backing for it is they look kinda ultraviolet and therefore more energetic. The problem with it is they don't look Shivan. Also, the beamglow Herra linked is several orders of magnitude more 1337 than the current beamglows, especially for large beams.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Err, since when are the Shivan beams pink ? They're pretty damn red here. Pic please ?
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Hades

Both the SRed and BRed are moar like BPink and SPink.

BFRed is red, though.

Also, the those are the beam sizes from the MVPs.

EDIT:

Both are MVP sizes.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 01:45:26 am by Had-- »
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Finally some actually made the beams look better. Was getting sick of the MVP beams being larger than the turrets ( and ships ) that fired them.

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
Nice work Hades. Not everyone's cup of tea it would seem but still a good effort regardless :). Do agree that the Aeolus' retail beams were a tad too big (always thought it'd shred its nose whenever it fired)

If people's problems are with the size of the blobs that from on the turrets of beam cannons and not with the actual beams, could a resize feature perhaps be added later on in the tables, so a turret has preset resizes for the energy ball bitmap when certain beam weapons are selected? Crazy thought i know but just came to my head.
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline Hades

Well, first off, you have to resize the beam with the blob or else the beam won't fit the blob and the end of the haze will be visible. As for the table idea,  have no idea if that's even possible at the moment.
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Kolgena

Hey Hades, I tried out your beam table, and like the direction you're taking. However, the beam blobs seem a little too small relative to the beam shafts. It almost makes them feel like they're not anchored or are imbalanced or something. Could you either shrink shaft diameter by 10% or increase blob radius by 10% (or a bit of both) and see where that leaves us?