Author Topic: Physics 101 (mass and moment of inertia in MVPs)  (Read 2867 times)

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
Physics 101 (mass and moment of inertia in MVPs)
I remember having the Amazon gyrate wildly at one point because its moment of inertia was ridiculously low, around three or four orders of magnitude below the retail value (and the reason for the bug was most likely that some of the values were something * 10^-16, IIRC approaching the machine epsilon for a double-precision float).

Herra just asked on IRC about the mass of the Herc, so I gave him the only value we have- PCS2 units. On a whim, I checked both the retail and mediavps values.

The retail value was 302.46. The MVP value was 3835.75. The moment of inertia is also off by, for some of the 3x3 matrix's cells, up to six orders of magnitude.

Are these values never used in FS? It seems to me that all of the mediavp values may be off by this much, probably for a long time now, and yet no one's ever reported any problems. When does the physics engine actually deal with these values where the insane differences may be noticeable? Kinetic weapons like the Morningstar, perhaps?

:wtf:

[EDIT]: After looking at some more MVP models, it seems that most of them got it right and are using retail values. I just happened to find two that didn't. I don't have time to check all of them now but this still may be something that should be looked at.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 08:50:40 am by Shivan Hunter »

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: Physics 101 (mass and moment of inertia in MVPs)
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Topgun

How does the mass units affect the game?

Offline Kusanagi

• A man, a van, a plan, Vanama!
  • Enemy vessel captured
When hitting or being hit by asteroids, weaponsfire, a Sathanis warping out...
Cum historia
mutat valde Razgriz
revelat ipsum
primum daemon scelestus est.

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy

Thinking about that it would look pretty damn badass when a massive ship (destroyers upwards) warping out would suck the nearest smaller objects (fighters, asteroids) in the direction of the vortex. Not too strong so that the whole area gets messed up but a little push so that gameplay doesn't get damaged :)
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

Thinking about that it would look pretty damn badass when a massive ship (destroyers upwards) warping out would suck the nearest smaller objects (fighters, asteroids) in the direction of the vortex. Not too strong so that the whole area gets messed up but a little push so that gameplay doesn't get damaged :)

I think from the way fighters behave when warping and the ursa's FS1 techroom what happens is the ship generates the portal and then flies into it rather than getting sucked in so unless the warping ship pushes the other ship into the portal then there is no effect, also I believe there is a mention of resonating hulls to subspace frequency in the bumph to do with subspace in the tech room so the other ship wouldn't get sucked in unless it was also warping.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy
Hm, okay. But asteroids would. Because you can see the debris of the Bastion being sucked into the vortex :nod:
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
No, for the same reason just described above. The Bastion was already warping out, its atoms were already vibrating in phase with the technobabble jargon long words.