Author Topic: Missile flares in different colors  (Read 2204 times)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Missile flares in different colors
Is that possible to create missile flares in different color than yellow?
I tried to edit the Mediavps flare with GIMP, but for some reson, it doesn't show up.
I think such flares would be usefull for missiles that have different thruster color than yellow, I'm also sure that a few mods could use them.

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
Re: Missile flares in different colors
Do you mean the glowpoint that fades in? That's greyscale, not yellow.

Both the versions in the MediaVPs (in MV_Effects/effects and MV_Assets/maps) are completely black DDS files. Where is it coming from anyway?

If you mean either of the thruster effects, you have six of those of differing colors in the MediaVPs (along with some leet particle effects).

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I mean the missile_flare.dds, which indeed does look like it was a completely black DDS, but it isn't.
They're faint yellow in-game, but don't appear in IrfanView, GIMP or when viewed from close distance.

IIRC, only the "LOD0" mipmap is black, smaller mipmaps do have the flare. That's how it appears when the missile is at a distance from you.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
And missile engine glows will be set depending on the race of the ship that fired them.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
No, they won't be if $Thruster Glow Effect: is set.
It allows defining the glow bitmap which isn't affected by race that fired a missile.