Author Topic: Sathanas  (Read 21752 times)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I prefer Rga's all around. Bob's seems almost TOO organic.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
RGA's is just incredible. Sorry Bob, yours is good too, but it's just... wow.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
I think the main thing about RGA's is it's been worked on longer, thus has more detail, thus is more leet. Honestly though, if Bob saw his model out to completion, I would still probably prefer Rga's take on the giant space flea.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
The only thing I don't like about Rga's Sathanas is the head itself, it's not like the original shape (It's close, except the top has a gap where normally it does not), and unfortunately Bob's Sathanas doesn't have a front view so I can't tell if the head is like the original or significantly different as well. Otherwise, I love the beam cannon arms on Rga's, they look fierce.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 03:56:25 am by Commander Zane »

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Having calmed down after looking at these models, I have 2 questions (for both modellers I guess).

1 - Are the changes to the faces of the Saths oing to affect DIVE DIVE DIVE in any way?
2 - Are there any plans to split the arms up into subobjects so that they can be animated to flex ala the final cutscene... is this even possible with turrets on the end of them?
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
2 - Are there any plans to split the arms up into subobjects so that they can be animated to flex ala the final cutscene... is this even possible with turrets on the end of them?
Well, if it isn't possible, maybe have the flexing-arms Sathanas as a seperate ship/model?

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Well, if it isn't possible, maybe have the flexing-arms Sathanas as a seperate ship/model?

It is possible and might help mjn.mixael for the final cut scenes
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

I like how this thread has four pages of suggestions and comparing to other work, when poor bob hasn't really had much of a chance to prove what his own concept is going to be yet.  All we have seen is a very early piece of clay that he hasn't had a chance to sculpt.    I say let the man work, then judge... :doubt:
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 06:39:09 am by Darklord42 »

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
Just about every aspect of the Sath needs to be close to retail in terms of placement for retail compatibility. Consider what moving a things just a little could do: In the mission where the player scans te Sath, the player could now have to travel much farther to complete the scan, throwing off mission balance. Arms a little different? Could equate to extra or less time to lock on during Bear Baiting. Sath too long? Good luck getting past Dive! Dive! Dive! Better hope the fighter bay has not been moved to allow fighter to swarm you quicker.

Bear in mind that what appears to be a minor change on the model could be 1000m in game with a ship this size. And yes, I plan on a Sat with articulating arms, but will be a separate version later.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
That being said, yes, I am making a Sath. It is quite close to release, and was going to be a surprise. It is about 50% UV'ed and when that's done it will be shipped off to c914 (of Cain fame) for texturing, as his work on the Cain/Lilith have been some of the best Shivan textures to date.

Now I know why Battuta posted that reply on Facebook. Fortunately, I didn't link to this thread.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Steam
I like some parts of Rga's version and others from Bob's one, not sure if it's required for us to "choose" a better option really.

I'm just glad someone is finally looking at that ugly old sath and wanting to do something about it.

My thanks to both of you.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
I like bob's one more, because it IS organic. I have to, however, admit, that both of them are at least awesome... But I also find annoying that no one gives a **** about |V| concept. Concepts, in fact.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Someone did use the concept in a way for most of it, and TrashMan made the concept Colossus, Inferno uses most concept drawings for their ships.

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
Actually the original arms I made were ripped from the concept, but overall did not look fierce or really even feasable. Also the original Sath model leaves very few clues as to what V would have done given an extended poly budget, so all we are left with is our imaginations and, of course, the opinions of others.

Bob went organo-Shivan, I went Mechano/Crustacean/Tits-Shivan.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Actually the original arms I made were ripped from the concept, but overall did not look fierce or really even feasable. Also the original Sath model leaves very few clues as to what V would have done given an extended poly budget, so all we are left with is our imaginations and, of course, the opinions of others.

Bob went organo-Shivan, I went Mechano/Crustacean/Tits-Shivan.

I agree. The concept art is just that. An idea for a future model. When V got around to making the actual Sath, they made changes based on how the shapes worked in the round. Concept sketches are only a starting point. I think the Sath improved a great deal from the drawing to the in-game model.

The hangar bays can afford to be reduced in size.

I hope this doesn't turn into some sort of competition between our seperate Saths. I already feel bad blundering in and ruining the suprise.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
My vote's on bobbtmann's. :)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I would like to see both completed. Though texturing will be the big issue on bobbt's, I imagine.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Exile
I like both versions. RGA's version has better details, Bob's - shape. Keep up good work! :) :yes:
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy
This is no rivalry. I like them both very much! (but it's a shame for the surprise - but there are other surprises waiting out there :) )
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."