Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 577266 times)

Offline -Sara-

The server runs mods, yes. :)

Make another shaft for down which pushes the elevator to a neutral point then? Like a vertical conveyer belt.

Highest level

[>>|E|>>]
[^]      [v]
[^]      [v]
[^]      [v]
[^]      [v]
[^]      [v]
[^]      [v]
[<<|E|<<]

Lowest level

[ ] space for elevator
[  |E|  ] = exit, centred.

I thought of that, but you can't ride something that's being pushed downwards. :p

Sand/gravel based maybe. Or a chute to go down. Alternately warp signs.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 02:00:16 pm by -Sara- »
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
flipside, so sorry about that outage, power outage happened.
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Heh, no worries :) I'll probs be back obsessively carving a hill into farmland later anyway ;)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Can you use redstone repeaters to try and make it work?
Err... let me explain.

Assume a mere 4-block high elevator of sticky pistons (which of course extends to 8 meters). We'll call activating the bottom piston "+1", the one above that "+2", etc (accordingly, "-1" and "-2" would be removal of power). To fully raise the 4-piston elevator, the required redstone activation sequence is simple: +1, +3, +5, +7.

However, due to the way sticky pistons aren't sticky unless they're actively retracting, lowering the elevator is considerably more complex, since a retracting piston can only pull a single block. Even if that block is a retracted sticky piston, whatever it's "stuck" to will not come along. Therefore, to retract the elevator you'd need to do as follows: -7, -5, -3, +4, -4, -1, +2, -2, +3, -3:

T = an extended piston arm
U = an extended piston base
O = a retracted piston

Code: [Select]
8: T
7: U -7 O
6: T    T    O    O    O
5: U    U -5 O         T    O    O    O    O    O
4: T    T    T    O +4 U -4 O    O    O         T    O
3: U    U    U -3 O    O    O         T    O +3 U -3 O
2: T    T    T    T    T    T    O +2 U -2 O    O    O
1: U    U    U    U    U    U -1 O    O    O    O    O
--------------------------------------------------------

If you can figure out how to program that sequence in redstone (not to mention the required sequence for a 12-piston elevator), please speak up. :D
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 10:12:34 pm by Sandwich »
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
Can you use redstone repeaters to try and make it work?
Err... let me explain.

Assume a mere 4-block high elevator of sticky pistons (which of course extends to 8 meters). We'll call activating the bottom piston "+1", the one above that "+2", etc (accordingly, "-1" and "-2" would be removal of power). To fully raise the 4-piston elevator, the required redstone activation sequence is simple: +1, +3, +5, +7.

However, due to the way sticky pistons aren't sticky unless they're actively retracting, lowering the elevator is considerably more complex, since a retracting piston can only pull a single block. Even if that block is a retracted sticky piston, whatever it's "stuck" to will not come along. Therefore, to retract the elevator you'd need to do as follows: -7, -5, -3, +4, -4, -1, +2, -2, +3, -3:

T = an extended piston arm
U = an extended piston base
O = a retracted piston

Code: [Select]
8: T
7: U -7 O
6: T    T    O    O    O
5: U    U -5 O         T    O    O    O    O    O
4: T    T    T    O +4 U -4 O    O    O         T    O
3: U    U    U -3 O    O    O         T    O +3 U -3 O
2: T    T    T    T    T    T    O +2 U -2 O    O    O
1: U    U    U    U    U    U -1 O    O    O    O    O
--------------------------------------------------------

If you can figure out how to program that sequence in redstone (not to mention the required sequence for a 12-piston elevator), please speak up. :D

Or, y'know, you could use a ladder.
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline rhx123

Post-update carnage report:
(My server is now 1.7.2)
-Lag appears to be fixed (the server.properties was set to read-only, thus causing minecraft to spam errors to the log at the max speed, therefor clogging up disk bandwith for the server itself)
-Dynmap is re-enabled but it doesn't seem to be getting past the firewall.
-Myhome is currently broken, so use beds to set your spawn (click leave bed once its gone black to set the point)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
can't connect :(
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
Updating permissions, it needs reconfiguring.
It was quite a surprise when OPs couldn't build D:
should be on shortly, just pop into IRC
EDIT: Appears to be sorted, /home is sorted too.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 04:22:16 am by qazwsx »
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
*lots of stuff I don't understand*
Yeah.... I think I'll pass. :P

How are the other stuff in the update working out?

Offline rhx123

Havn't actually tried yet :P
I was more concerned with getting the server back in its operating state than new features.
Does the lag seem better to you or not?

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
I have noticed much lag, but only logged on for a bit.

Shears are amazing! It would have made shade's maze sooo much easier to make. Though getting wool from sheep is slightly harder now.

BTW, warp permissions are still borked.

Offline -Sara-

Found server bugs thus far:

* Creating signs gives you 10 seconds to type them, then they reset if you haven't pressed done. When sign is created the game announces you made a PRIVATE sign.
* People get the message that a PRIVATE chest created when dropping a chest, they are possibly not public.
* Warping is not possible, no-one is permitted to warp (unless intentional to force railroad use, which would be silly as it makes building elevators or tunnels between A and B very time consuming and dangerous).

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

If anybody on Richard's server has any gravel they are looking to dispose of, I've ressurrected one of my old singleplayer projects, Chateau du Gravier/Castle Janeway.  I've laid out a perimeter much, much larger than my supply of gravel is adequate to build up, though, so if you're looking to get rid of any, box it up and drop it off at/near (276, 65, 586), and it will get put in the walls for future asplodin'.  I'll also need some TNT, but the need for that is way, way down the line, and given the current diplomatic situation, I wouldn't feel very good about anyone leaving it in an unsecured chest, in a public place.

After the Chateau du Gravier cap des Deux gets cratered, I'll then build a proper, stone castle in its place.  If I set it up properly, the foundation for the walls should even be left relatively unscathed.

Also, fair warning:  Don't build anywhere near (276, 65, 586), as the castle being built out of gravel at that location will eventually be exploded, and I don't want to risk any collateral damage.

Offline -Sara-

I had put a few stacks in one of the chests days ago.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
I think I have 10 stacks or so... but they're spread out in chests everywhere! I'll get them to you when the warp permissions are fixed.

Offline -Sara-

Food for thought: If one can use pistons to duplicate blocks.. and one leaves it on auto duplicating TNT indefinately.. can one destroye the MC world?

Food for thought: If one can use pistons to duplicate blocks.. and one leaves it on auto duplicating TNT indefinately.. can one destroye the MC world?

You can strip it down to the Adminium.  Actually, you can theoretically do it with your bare hands.  It's just a matter of how much time you're willing to invest in it.

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
BUGFIXAN:

* Creating signs gives you 10 seconds to type them, then they reset if you haven't pressed done. When sign is created the game announces you made a PRIVATE sign.
Signs are no longer private by default, at least in the config, testing with non-ops required, but it works for me.

* People get the message that a PRIVATE chest created when dropping a chest, they are possibly not public.
Same as signs, changed the LWC config file, should work for everyone, again, needs testing.

* Warping is not possible, no-one is permitted to warp (unless intentional to force railroad use, which would be silly as it makes building elevators or tunnels between A and B very time consuming and dangerous).
Permissions config didn't include warp command, fixed.
EDIT: Actually sorted now, confirmed by tslr
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 04:12:15 pm by qazwsx »

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Got my 'Bonus Chest', thank you very much Peci, now to put it to good use ;) I've redecorated the main hall and started it looking livable, but I am going to dismantle that tower and restart it, it's just a big square block because it was built on top of my original house, so I'm going to try and make it more interesting this time round ;)

Offline Locutus of Borg

• Who counted those posts?????????????
what ever happened to that ginormous offshoot of land?
We are the Borg
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own

Resistance is FUTILE