Author Topic: What the heck happened to the forums!!!????oneoneone  (Read 38183 times)

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
What the heck happened to the forums!!!????oneoneone
They were upgraded, that's what happened.

It was decided that this upgrade was to be done ASAP to get access to better anti-spam features offered by SMF 2.0. This was prudent response to continued appearance of spambots. This meant that we didn't have time to prepare SMF 2.0 compatible HLP theme however. So until one is ready to be used, the forums will appear in this blue and white style.

Right now registration has been tightened and all new registrations have to be approved by admins. With this, admins will check whether spammers are still registering to the forums. If everything is green, we'll go back to email activation. If spammers continue to register to the site, we'll see what can be done about it.

But at least with admin approval in place, spammers shouldn't get through, I hope.

SMF 2.0 offers a plethora of new features, we'll be exploring those features and making use of them. But for now I will inform you of some small changes to some settings:
- Non-moderators can edit their posts within 24 hours of posting. After that editing of a post is no longer allowed. This time may be tweaked, but at least it should stop those idiots who went and edited all/most of their posts before being banned, thus making many topics incomprehensible.
- New members will notice CAPTCHA confirmation popping up when posting new posts or sending private messages. This happens until your post count is three.

Have a nice day. :)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 10:19:11 am by Fury »

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Re: What the heck happened to the forums!!!????oneoneone
Halp, I dont like change!
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Good work guys, escpecially in case on the bot prevention  :) But let me be the first one to ask : "Will be get our black background back ? " Or Userdefined Forumprofiles ?  I  don't like bright forum colours that much  :nervous:

(edit) Never mind, you said it above (should have read more closely :) ) So I hope you can create a compatible forum theme :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy
Aaaaah! I'm blind! :eek:
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I'll cope with this new look for as long as it takes :D
I trust you admins will eventually restore HLP to it's distinctive color sheme.

And thanks for the hard work :yes:

el hombre vicio...

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I actually like this colour scheme lol

Seriously though I hope this implementation makes the lives of mods and admins easier.

edit:1

It would seem i dont have the authority use the search function
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 10:42:00 am by headdie »
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline newman

I actually like this colour scheme lol

No. Wrong. Gasp.
Dark background makes things much easier on the eyes, everything is easier to read, and it looks better. But since Fury did say that this is temporary and the compatible HLP theme isn't ready yet, I think it's safe to assume it's just a matter of time before HLP goes back to looking.. well, usable :)
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Mobius's blue text is almost illegible against the new background :eek2:

Is this good or bad?

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
I was just wondering what happend to HLP. Good to know that its only a temporary change.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Hello, new interface[color]
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Like the new anti bot measures.

But the temporary colour...

...fix my HLP, chief! [/Adm. Adama]

About the color scheme: The goggles, they do nothing!
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
Actually, I have an objection to the post editing. Once I release a model, I plan to edit the first post in the model thread to include new pix and a download link. While I certainly approve of stopping incidents like the High Max one, there are plenty of legitimate reasons for a non-moderator to edit a post.

Offline Topgun

Actually, I have an objection to the post editing. Once I release a model, I plan to edit the first post in the model thread to include new pix and a download link. While I certainly approve of stopping incidents like the High Max one, there are plenty of legitimate reasons for a non-moderator to edit a post.
+1

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
+1

would it be possable to apply a post limit on being able to edit your posts at any time? say 200 or something, that way we have a good idea if the person is going to be a kick ban liability before they get the opportunity
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
+1
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Truth.  Chronic edit abusers are few and far between and the edit function is too useful for modders and campaign releases.

Plus, now I can't update my Released Campaigns thread. :nervous:

BEFORE POST EDIT:  A post limit?  How on Earth would that be helpful?

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
The High Max thing was an isolated case. If editing gets disallowed, then why don't threads without a reply after 30 days get autolocked? Threadbumping is much, much more frequent.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
And also completely irrelevent to the issue.  Threads without replies after 30 days don't get autolocked because sometimes people browsing the thread may have a question that was no addressed already.  For example, in the Missions and Campaigns boards.  If a release thread is dormant for 30 days, and then some newbie comes up with a "Hey, I just got a random bug.  Help please!" now he can't get help in the thread that it was meant for, and he has to open a new one and thread pages more.

And Necrothreadmancy is only a big deal because people make it a big deal.

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
I liked the old color scheme. I hope they implement something similar to it. The darker the better in my book.

The 24 hour modification limit makes sense in most cases, but if someone posts a release thread and later needs to update the links with say a patch or something how will they do this?
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.