Author Topic: Modular Construction Kit (Release 1.2 Now Available)  (Read 32354 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: Modular Construction Kit (Release 1.2 Now Available)
AVG actually failed to catch a virus that required me to wipe and refresh one of my spare laptops.  So I question your judgement there.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I'm using COMODO, and while it's a bit too restrictive (for instance, marking some mostly harmless cracks and, curiously, VLC player as viruses), it does it's job very well. I never had any virus problems (though this may be also because I'm a generally careful person and use Opera instead of a more popular browser).

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Anti-Virus software on jr2's hatelist:

#1: Norton

#2: McAffee

Both have failed to detect viruses in the past (although, that was a long time ago).  Also, I have seen both FUBAR a system when they uninstall incorrectly and get stuck in a state of not being installed (so they can't be uninstalled), whilst also still being resident and half-active in the system (so they can't be re-installed, "please uninstall old versions first", etc) and also the internet is usually borked, as the firewall is half-uninstalled or has gone into a paranoia state of self-preservation.  (Useful, but usually doesn't get the viruses, they usually manage to shut down the AV soft and firewall.)

*Note: these are the opinions of jr2.  They are not to be taken as a unilateral statement of fact.  Please don't get hyper-defensive if your favorite AV software is Norton or McAffee.

Personally, I do like AVG (now, anyways, they've improved a lot).  But I like MS Security Essentials even more (I've switched to using them, as they've cleaned up the issues they initially had.)

Offline LoneKnight

• One does not simply ALT-J into Mordor.
I use Avast. Free n good. Also, keep up the good work on the construction kit!

The ISS has external thrusters to move the station to avoid debris. Maybe a new piece to add could be large thrusters?
Burning Heaven

gah how the hell did this thread became an antivirus discussion thread?

PD:
MSE for the win.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
It didn't. Or, it shouldn't. Enough AV stuff please.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

anyhow so back to the original topic... a robotic arm mounted on the girders using them as rails would be Pretty cool too, and a missile launcher turret, along with some force field projectors, science stations,  and maybe don't make them indestructible... it would be really cool if when hit by a bomb for example, they explode with some radial splash damage, thus causing a chain reaction that you can see advancing and destroying each adjacent piece.

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
anyhow so back to the original topic... a robotic arm mounted on the girders using them as rails would be Pretty cool too,

I think there was something about rails not being able to work at the moment, about the only closest thing to rail movement would to have the arm hop from dockpoint to dockpoint. Could try bugging the coders about it. :D

and maybe don't make them indestructible... it would be really cool if when hit by a bomb for example, they explode with some radial splash damage, thus causing a chain reaction that you can see advancing and destroying each adjacent piece.

If I remember correctly, Black Wolf had already tried that, but ended up crashing... I'm not sure what all would be needed to prevent that (from crashing).
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

hmmm well i don't see why it would crash ... must be something weird, since when capital ships for example explode, often their splash kills o ther small ships around, nothing prevents said smaller ships own blast from killing even smaller ships around...

Bizarrely, for some reason adding the -mod Modular 1.2 tag to my launcher command line (features section) has no effect.

I say bizarre, as every other mod adds in totally fine.

Any ideas?

I've copy-pasted the EXACT name from the folder, no joy.

Bh

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
select it from the mod tab instead of the features tab? I'd also say get rid of the space in the name, but spaces in mod names seem to work for me.

No differences.

BUT if it put the MCK files into a mod folder that DOES work (EG a certain circular space station :) ) then they DO show up in FRED2.
Very weird.

BH

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
There cannot be any spaces in the directory path. Try renaming folder to Modular_1_2
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.