Author Topic: A WoD dev blog  (Read 421472 times)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
So, the LSF fighters basically have a hammerspace inventory. Also, aren't there supposed to be 3 different rotation times? Yaw, Pitch, and Roll.
Yes :p and Yes, but roll wasn't relevant in this comparison between Kaze's because its the same, so I didn't mention it.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

I asked because if the Kaze has a relatively quick roll compared to it's yaw(kinda like in the original WoD) then it pays to roll and pitch when trying to chase maneuverable fighters.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Fair point, the Kaze has a roll rate of 2.2
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Lorric

Here's a question... can we fly the Hierarchy fighters?

Oh, and can we fly all of the Terran and Cyrvan fighters?

So I recently watched Crest of the Stars...

Spoon, were the Abh an inspiration for the Cyrvans?
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Feb is almost over. Good, because it overstayed its welcome for way too long anyway. It's not even a proper month, only 28 days? Does it even try?
I said March for a WoD release didn't I? I probably did, it'll probably happen too. The campaign itself is done, it's just the polish around the edges that is being worked on now. I also have a friend, grammar checking it for me, which is taking a lot of time due to the large amount of words and the large amount of incompetence inside. I'd say he's about 40% done, and he's been at it for several days already.

Another thing that had me downright baffled was an A.I. related story. The A.I. kept doing this to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIhkD0Sc-_U (ignore the botched sound, that's my video editing software's fault). A suicide run, guns blazing with no regards for personal safety of any sort. And I could not figure out why it was doing that! I went through every A.I. related table, tested things up until 8 in the morning. Nothing I tried worked.
In retail and BP though, the A.I. was acting more like you'd expect. So why?!

I turned to people that are smarter than me, and they too, could not figure out at first why it was happening. Until Axem and Admiral Ralwood (Mageking17) discovered that this A.I. behavior was related to what kind of secondary weapon they have. If it has an aspect seeker, it'll act more like you'd expect. If it has anything else, or nothing at all, it'll go full retard. Dumbfire missiles make the A.I. go dumb, imagine that.
But while that is figured out, Niffiwan and Admiral Ralwood have not yet discovered in the code why it is doing that, or how to fix it yet. Stay tuned for more news on this mystery as it develops.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Lorric

So I recently watched Crest of the Stars...
And now, so have I.

Funnily enough, even though I was armed with the knowledge that the Abh were an inspiration for the Cyrvans, and that being the reason I went off to watch the 13 episodes, that insipration never jumped out at me. I was able to make a few possible connections, but nothing jumped out at me.

But maybe the new Wings of Dawn Cyrvans might yet do that.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Make sure you watch Banner of the stars too, it has a lot of mines and a lot of pew pew.
And well an inspiration is always just that, an inspiration. Doesn't mean I copied the Abh 100%  :p
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Lorric

Make sure you watch Banner of the stars too, it has a lot of mines and a lot of pew pew.
And well an inspiration is always just that, an inspiration. Doesn't mean I copied the Abh 100%  :p
I will, I like the show enough on its own merits to continue. Are there only Crest of the Stars and Banner of the Stars, or is there anything following after that?

I like Jinto and Lafiel's awkward/cute relationship a lot. Jinto really reminds me of someone... :D

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Heh, definitely a resemblance there.
Banner of the stars has three seasons (total of 25 episodes), though season 3 is only two episodes long. It's a pretty easy to follow order; crest, banner I, banner II, banner III
Banner I is my personal favorite.

(But let's try to stay on topic somewhat, shall we? :p )
Urutorahappī!!

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Another thing that had me downright baffled was an A.I. related story. The A.I. kept doing this to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIhkD0Sc-_U (ignore the botched sound, that's my video editing software's fault). A suicide run, guns blazing with no regards for personal safety of any sort. And I could not figure out why it was doing that! I went through every A.I. related table, tested things up until 8 in the morning. Nothing I tried worked.

I turned to people that are smarter than me, and they too, could not figure out at first why it was happening. Until Axem and Admiral Ralwood (Mageking17) discovered that this A.I. behavior was related to what kind of secondary weapon they have. If it has an aspect seeker, it'll act more like you'd expect. If it has anything else, or nothing at all, it'll go full retard. Dumbfire missiles make the A.I. go dumb, imagine that.
But while that is figured out, Niffiwan and Admiral Ralwood have not yet discovered in the code why it is doing that, or how to fix it yet. Stay tuned for more news on this mystery as it develops.
There's now a Mantis issue, but research has been somewhat stalled by the fact that stepping through with a debugger doesn't seem to reveal where the difference in behavior is coming from.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Lorric

Heh, definitely a resemblance there.
Banner of the stars has three seasons (total of 25 episodes), though season 3 is only two episodes long. It's a pretty easy to follow order; crest, banner I, banner II, banner III
Banner I is my personal favorite.

(But let's try to stay on topic somewhat, shall we? :p )
Thank you Spoon. :)

On topic, I hope the AI thing gets sorted, amusing video, even headbutts you at the end of the attack run! But I'm glad you mentioned the sticking plaster solution for it if it doesn't for if I ever decide to start making stuff with your stuff. Also of course, glad to hear March remains on schedule. When I first read your post, the way you were going, I thought you were going to say you weren't going to be able to make March... :D

There's now a Mantis issue, but research has been somewhat stalled by the fact that stepping through with a debugger doesn't seem to reveal where the difference in behavior is coming from.
Seems like the A.I. wanted to avoid but was prevented to do so by some magical force keeping it pointed towards the target and rolling helplessly.
Here goes scripting and copy paste coding
Freespace RTS Mod
Checkpoint/Shipsaveload script

Funny how Nu Wod is set to release relatively close to the Director's cut of BP:WiH acts 1 and 2. The only thing that's missing is some kind of remastered Vassago's Dirge.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ

Soon or something

I shouldn't make posts at 5:15am
Urutorahappī!!

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Very Nice :)

(and is that HLP-1 multi-lock missiles that I see?  ;7)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Veers

+1
Can't Wait Spoon!
Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I'm suited, where's the hangar? :D

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Reinstalling FS reason detected. Clearing disk space.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story