Author Topic: A WoD dev blog  (Read 421407 times)

Offline Flak

Thankfully I have a second 2TB hard disk. My Steam library already filled about a quarter of it though.

Offline -Norbert-

I almost regert having finally gotten a full-time job.

Oh well, it'll make the weekends all the sweeter :D

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I posted a beautiful Battutiful breview of the upcoming Wings of Dawn which I will QUOTE HERE

Wings of Dawn is HLP's first all-original IP! And it's about to hit YOUR FACE with a standalone, free, no-fiddling-required release!

What's Wings of Dawn? Wings of Dawn is the hybrid space baby of anime and Star Control, set in a universe where fractious humanity is just beginning to confront titanic alien powers, built on systems-driven gameplay designed to give players a lot of toys and a lot of power.

I don't really like anime but it doesn't really matter because Wings of Dawn is a technical tour de force and a real kick to the ass of FreeSpace modding in general. Axem and Spoon have been holed up in their cabal making arcane impossible things out of the guts of FreeSpace. In Wings of Dawn you'll get:

• Striking presentation! No more dots of light filling up the load screen. Wings unfold from a heraldic shield. The custom HUD is full of unique, mission-specific gauges. The mainhall is fully modeled and bits light up when you mouse over them. There are entire menu elements that didn't exist in core FS2, like a full-screen reading view for fiction, a diary, and more. Even the difficulty levels have been renamed.
  • Rich gameplay systems. Anyone who played the original Wings of Dawn release already got to see the carefully crafted damage model, with specific weapons excelling against specific targets, and the diverse range of enemy behaviors, with each species full of its own tricks and weaknesses to learn. But it's been five years and there's a lot more happening now - although if anything it's cleaner to pick up. LUA wizardry makes it easy to dogfight in a crevasse between three asteroids while dodging VLS missiles from a nearby ship and timing command-detonated mines. There are a ton of quality-of-life touches, including a beginner-friendly control scheme and an option to revert to FS classic with a single button!
  • Bafflingly seamless narrative. This is what really struck me! YOU CAN WANDER AROUND YOUR BASE SHIP AND TALK TO PEOPLE. It's not a 3D space, more like a choose-your-own-adventure, but you can decide to move between places, ask characters prying questions about their personal lives, read the news, eat breakfast, and so on. The Sorcerers Supreme may have gone TOO FAR. I don't want to overhype this like some Star Citizen bull**** but it really is very very cool. So instead of leaping from mission to debrief to CB to brief, you get downtime to see what's up and get to know people.
  • Really creative missions! You will do stuff you haven't done before, except in the tutorial, which is dull right now. Fix that tutorial, Spoon! I don't want to talk about this too much because it'll spoil the fun but I will say that it's all cleanly taught, low-stress, and fun to repeat. And it will repeatedly expand your idea of what's possible in FSO. Particularly cool is the fact that 'walk around the ship' segments can cut right to space, so you might hear a character say 'we're jumping!' and get an external shot of the ship warping.
  • A killer look! I am a sucker for campaigns, like Diaspora, that manage to make their models look tactile. Wings of Dawn has a lot of sharp, colorful, interesting ships. Generous FXAA helps, sure, but the models also play to the colorful anime aesthetic, occasionally looking almost handdrawn. Your cockpit will actually get cracked and start fuzzing with errors as you take damage!

Of all the projects still active on HLP I think that WoD (and JaD, but hey, it's not like they don't sleep together) is the one most concerned with the player's fun. In a campaign like BP you can ask a question like 'can I go do that?' and the answer is probably 'no you fool and MEDITATE ON THE HORROR OF WAR!!' Wings of Dawn is happy to say 'yeah, sure!'

The upcoming WoD episode is short, sharp, consumable, and fun. It installs fast, runs fast, and plays fast. I really encourage you to check it out.

Since I am smart you know my words are true.

I don't think I can possibly be more hyped for this than I am right now.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Lorric

Hey Spoon... If this lives up to all the hype, you're going to regret releasing it in parts once we hit the end of this first part and the incessant pestering for you to release more content begins with all the fervour of a junkie desperate for his next fix... :p :lol:

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Since I am smart you know my words are true.
I cannot agree enough.

Hey Spoon... If this lives up to all the hype, you're going to regret releasing it in parts once we hit the end of this first part and the incessant pestering for you to release more content begins with all the fervour of a junkie desperate for his next fix... :p :lol:
I wouldn't mind~

Okay, so assuming Axem&Swifty deliver this weekend, release should be monday or tuesday. (If nothing else unforseen pops up)
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline -Norbert-

And by writing "if nothing else unforeseen pops up" you pretty much assured that something will :P

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
If something does indeed pop up, our team of intrepid coders will most assuredly HEY LOOK A SQUIRREL!
 :warp:
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Lorric

If something comes up and you end up being able to release on Wednesday, don't. Or everyone will think the new WoD is an elaborate many months in the making April Fool. :lol:

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Hah, yeah  :p
If everything fails, next date would be friday.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
*randomly sabotages this thread because of his own mod-campaign nearing completion*
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
*randomly sabotages this thread because of his own mod-campaign nearing completion*
o:
I must destroy your campaign with a devastating review now.

(looks like its gonna be a friday release, since I haven't heard anything from Swifty yet ): )
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Due to:
  • Repeated delays
  • Numerous broken deadlines and promises
  • Loss of motivation
  • Having to endure people complaining about licensed music for a non commercial project
  • The constant bother of having to deal with FRED and test playing
  • The time and effort it takes to draw things
  • And finally, the realization that the market for a Space shooter/Anime type game is simply too niche

I have decided to drop this project.
I am instead moving onto to creating a kinetic visual novel romantic comedy dance simulator, using TyranoBuilder Visual Novel Studio™ and Artificial Academy 2. 
Have a look at my progress and wish me well.

Farewell HLP.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Lorric

Re: Important announcement
Can't fool me. I know what day it is. Very funny though with the video. :lol:

EDIT: That goes double for the video description! :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Having to endure people complaining about licensed music for a non commercial project

This though isn't so funny. I was just looking at some of the Forum Game videos yesterday, and was annoyed to see the copyright hammer has been dropped on Turn 1. It hardly seems worth the effort for a year old video with just over 300 views. Why did they even bother?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 12:37:47 pm by Lorric »

It's done automatically, they have algorithms that detect copyrighted music in their videos.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Axem

Wait, what about our pre-orders?

I'm still getting my bonus pre-order talking Crystal reversible body pillow... right?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
NO SPOON DON"T GO

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
I like the new direction, but the (hopefully unlicensed) music could be A LOT louder.

Offline Veers

Spoon!

Can you provide us with the link?, trying to hide your trail makes me think you don't want us to play your works!

I'm hurt, sad, maybe a little bit hungry...
Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline Flak

Maybe I should start making music as well