Author Topic: A WoD dev blog  (Read 421372 times)

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Pretty.

Even if it's a bug that's already been fixed, that behavior gives the impression that the shield is proactively stopping the shots instead of reacting to being struck.

[...] the shield is proactively stopping the shots instead of reacting to being struck.
That's' a concept I love but barely ever see, most shields out there either work on the "invisible unless struck" principle or the "always visible" principle.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Oh my. Those Terran shield effects are niiice.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Could anyone upload those to YouTube or somesuch? I can't view them.

That shield :yes:
Nice effect

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
One more then: https://my.mixtape.moe/lfofem.webm
(Boy, do those cordi ship need a good texture job)

Edit: or two, whatevs
https://my.mixtape.moe/eaiexn.webm
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 09:22:59 pm by Spoon »
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
Man, I did a good job.

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
...That 'mixtape' site gives me all sorts of hostile site warnings. Any alternative upload sites, please?
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Offline CKid

Looking good, love how each species gets their own shield effects. Really makes them diverse, just like their ships. Terrans are my favourite. (How soon until it's added to FS2?)
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Axem gave the Nordera Battleaxe a bit of a visual update... over a year ago. But better late than never, I finally took the time and effort to take all the steps required to put it ingame.

The torpedo launchers are no longer tediously unreachable, hurrah for that.

The rest of my time is spend dying in Dark Souls III a lot
Urutorahappī!!

Offline -Norbert-

Wow... that looks really rusty and used... which is great for Nordera. :D

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
The rest of my time is spend dying in Dark Souls III a lot
And making perverted artwork, as I can see from the rest of the album. :)

Seriously, though, nice screenshots, I really love how the overhaul is turning out. The Battleaxe changes are welcome, but I think it could use a little more detailing. As it stands, it might look a bit out of place next to all those hi-poly models.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Well you don't have to go through albums for that, I have a NSFW deviantart for that  :p

I think you are overestimating a bit how hi-poly the other models are though, I don't think its going to look particularly out of place compared to the rest.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Maybe it's just that on the Battleaxe, the low-polyness looks more obvious. The triangular spikes and sharp edges (mostly on the side pod) give it a somewhat crude look, not "crudely built", but rather "crudely modeled". Changing this while preserving the look and feel of the ship could be a challenge, though.

Spoon, what have you dooone? I'm back in! After I swore I was out! I keep getting pulled back to Freespace 2!

I guess I will have to enjoy these games, AGAIN, while my backlog continues to grow. *sigh* ;)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Spoon, what have you dooone? I'm back in! After I swore I was out! I keep getting pulled back to Freespace 2!

I guess I will have to enjoy these games, AGAIN, while my backlog continues to grow. *sigh* ;)
Sorry  :p
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Another ship receives a visual update:

In this case, the CSA Breaker.
One of the ships that was modeled by Axem and one I was really happy with back in the day.
But then sometimes, you look back at past work and decide it's just not really living up to present standards anymore.
In the Starlight and the Breaker's case, they weren't really on the list for getting an update, but when we looked at the ships again we all agreed the proportions of the ship made it look kind of stubby. And while I'm still not exactly a master texturer, I do wanted to bring the texture a bit more inline with the rest of the CSA ships.

So a bit of tweaking was done.

Next up is the Starlight, who will probably see a bigger overal overhaul of the hull. With the planned addition of a hangar, so it won't compete for the same role as the Breaker anymore. And allows me more flexibility with CSA capitalships for mission design.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 06:14:28 pm by Spoon »
Urutorahappī!!

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
The new textures do a lot to make it look smooth and sophisticated  :yes:
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline LoneFan

Very nice, I can see so much more detail now.  Did you lengthen the haul just a bit?