Author Topic: A WoD dev blog  (Read 421456 times)

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Your efforts to build hype are successful. I am hyped. Many are hyped. Now fulfill the hype.  :)
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline CKid

Reinstalling FS reason detected. Clearing disk space.

I think Spoon said that WoD will be stand-alone.
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

Well, I need the disk space either way, don't I?
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

can´t wait! Will this contain new missions XD ?

Offline Lorric

Spoon. You've learned how to sell. :yes:

The anticipation is building... :)

can´t wait! Will this contain new missions XD ?
Yes.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Right, so the current status of nuWoD is that it is 99% complete. It's even spell&grammar checked (that's a first!) by a good friend of mine who really put a lot of time and effort into it! The past days have mostly been sorting out little issues, debugging, playtesting. You know, the boring stuff.
Swifty has been doing cool things with the code; like the multilocking, shadows, deferred lighting and optimizations (to stuff like trails and the shadows). So WoD comes with it's own custom super build~ and Axem is currently putting the final touches to a really cool cutscene he's making. (Axem's contributions in general have been massive!)

For all the time it's been in the making, episode 1 is not actually a very long campaign to play through, but I hope it'll be a good introduction for things to come, and that it will be enjoyable!

Well, I need the disk space either way, don't I?
Stand alone indeed, and you'll need around 3GB of disk space
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Swifty has been doing cool things with the code; like the multilocking, shadows, deferred lighting and optimizations (to stuff like trails and the shadows). So WoD comes with it's own custom super build~ [...]
Hm... Will you provide a patch against FSO's source? It'd be nice if I could compile my own build.
Also, did you test your build on Linux and MacOS? Swifty's branch had several problems on Linux, IIRC.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this.  :D

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Will you be making a version compatible with lower-end machines? You know how a bunch of people couldn't play WiH act 3 upon release because the custom BP builds wouldn't work on their computers.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Hm... Will you provide a patch against FSO's source? It'd be nice if I could compile my own build.
Also, did you test your build on Linux and MacOS? Swifty's branch had several problems on Linux, IIRC.

I can't directly support linux or mac because I don't have any machines that run it (also my general ignorance to anything related to those operating systems). I'm hoping there will (eventually) be builds for those two though. (I hope Swifty can provide some more insight here)

Will you be making a version compatible with lower-end machines? You know how a bunch of people couldn't play WiH act 3 upon release because the custom BP builds wouldn't work on their computers.
How much lower-end are we talking about here? I mean, you can disable shadows and all the resource intensive things in the launcher.
My really old laptop (a 1.6ghz single core) could run old wod, but chokes on launch with this build. But ya know, that's because it's like a ten year old machine. So uhm yeah, if lower-end means a computer that's like a 8 year old laptop, you can probably expect it won't run.

Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Not THAT lower-end, so I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Not THAT lower-end, so I'll give it a shot. Thanks.
If you want to see how your computer handles the deferred lighting & shadows branch, I've compiled a fresh set of SSE2 and AVX builds (although these obviously won't have multilock or any other goodies).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
I can run the shadows build on debug, barely-sorta. Maybe it's about time I upgraded from Intelgrated to a proper graphics card.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class

I can't directly support linux or mac because I don't have any machines that run it (also my general ignorance to anything related to those operating systems). I'm hoping there will (eventually) be builds for those two though. (I hope Swifty can provide some more insight here)

If a patch vs trunk is made available I can help with providing Linux builds, but I can't help with Mac/OSX (as I don't own one)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

*Prepares to go into Hype-space*

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
I'll try to make Mac OS and Linux builds available. I don't have Mac or Linux readily accesible right now but I'll make sure to pull in some cross platform favors from people with build capable machines.

I tried my best to optimize the engine against the latest whiz bang as much as I could but there's only so much I can do. If the game doesn't run well on your machine, you're going to have to turn off shadows and deferred lighting. However, the build should still run better than trunk without shadows and deferred lighting turned on because of those optimizations.

And if shadows and deferred lighting aren't ready for cross platform primetime, we'll just have Linux and Mac versions of what's currently in trunk with just the requisite gameplay code.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
This **** is gonna blow minds.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I tried my best to optimize the engine against the latest whiz bang as much as I could but there's only so much I can do. If the game doesn't run well on your machine, you're going to have to turn off shadows and deferred lighting. However, the build should still run better than trunk without shadows and deferred lighting turned on because of those optimizations.

I ran some tests with your shader_transform_deferred branch on Linux (with nvidia GTS 450) and it ran really well with shadows off.  Enabling shadows reduced the framerate to ~15fps instead of (capped at) 60, but the card is over 4 years old.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
Huh well there you have it. I'm glad the new stuff doesn't drag everything else down with it when it's not even being used.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
oh yisss.
el hombre vicio...