Author Topic: A WoD dev blog  (Read 421466 times)

Offline LoneFan

In this seen, Spoon is playing the part of Emperor Palpatine.
I am off to play the original campaign again, while crying and eating ice cream.   
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 03:15:50 pm by LoneFan »

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ

Ack Ack Ack

Man, do you guys not want a Kinetic visual novel romantic comedy dance simulator or something? Sheesh.

Okay so tiny bit of devblog:
WoD has been haunted by a bunch of mysterious errors, models that don't get their texture loaded, an interface error that it can't find a briefing mask, which appears seemingly at random. All of these errors tend to go away after reloading the game. Very frustrating! After talking with Admiral ralwood (Mageking17) on irc for a bit, it seems the most likely cause for this, is that WoD has so many explosion and effect bitmaps that it hits the 4750 BMPMAN limit. Ergo, the Freespace engine simply cannot contain the whole of WoD. 
I've asked Swifty to increase the number of slots for WoD's build, see if this will make the issue go and stay go.

I'm super anxious to get this dumb game of mine released, so you nerds can play it and say it sucks. So I'm definitely slightly frustrated that I've had to delay it so many times because of all these little ****ty errors popping up that need to be fixed. I'm really hoping it can be this weekend, but every time I seem to say that, something else pops up.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
So I'm definitely slightly frustrated that I've had to delay it so many times because of all these little ****ty errors popping up that need to be fixed. I'm really hoping it can be this weekend, but every time I seem to say that, something else pops up.

When you've had that happen after you've built the VPs, installer AND uploaded them all so that the Linux and Mac versions can be made, then you can talk to me about frustration with little niggling errors. :p

Seriously though, I agree sometimes it's the little niggles that are the most annoying things.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Veers

WoD has so many explosion and effect bitmaps that it hits the 4750 BMPMAN limit. Ergo, the Freespace engine simply cannot contain the whole of WoD. 

Well, the apocalypse is nigh... Repent! Repent! You non-believers! Repent! Crystal is the way!

I'm not sure if I should be impressed or terrified that you hit the limit and potentially have kept going. This will be good!
Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
We've temporarily raised the bitmap limit to 6000 for now for stability's sake. Although the engine aggressively loads select bitmaps it determines being used in a mission, the engine doesn't aggressively release bitmaps if they're not being used. A more long term solution is to implement a smarter page-in/page-out system before considering a permanent SCP decision to raise the bitmap cap.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 02:36:32 am by Swifty »

I terms of future-proofing, that sounds like the better solution.

In any case, congrats to WoD for getting Full-Game'd.

Offline Lorric

congrats to WoD for getting Full-Game'd.
I'll second that, though it is kind of sad to see old WoD get shunted away into that new WoD Archive board.

I know you must have made that board yourself Spoon, but I wonder with that name, will anyone who doesn't already know know there's quality content in there to be played? I think that would be a shame. I know it says it in the description when you come into the board, but how many people will look?

I wonder if it would be better to make a sticky thread with the release information for the old releases in the main board?

Offline -Norbert-

So.... will we get a new "ask the crew" thread once the release finally manages to squish the bugs?

Except for that one person who took it a bit too serious the old one was a lot of fun and a wealth of information.

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs
Perhaps the bugs will evolve into their own Moe Idol Group?

Stopping spoon with their songs about bugs, errors, and missing textures~
Blame Blue Planet for my Freespace2 addiction.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Onore, Moe Idol Group! You have stopped my progress for the last time!

So.... will we get a new "ask the crew" thread once the release finally manages to squish the bugs?

Except for that one person who took it a bit too serious the old one was a lot of fun and a wealth of information.
Maybe, I promise nothing regarding this.

I do make the promise that tomorrow (or technically, for me today, after I sleep) shall be release day.
For realzies.
True story.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline LoneFan

Wow, can't wait to get my hands on the tech database. Got to learn about all these new ships. BRAND THEM INTO MY BRAIN!
Will WOD Remake have it's own WIKI?

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Wow, can't wait to get my hands on the tech database. Got to learn about all these new ships. BRAND THEM INTO MY BRAIN!
Will WOD Remake have it's own WIKI?
The tech database is honestly not really my proudest part of WoD. Because I'm just not really good at writing tech entries. I don't think I've even spell checked it  :nervous:
A wiki for it would be nice, but I'll definitely won't be the one making it  :p

So what's next?
Well, episode 2 eventually. Naturally.
When? I wish I could even give the slightest of indication on this. Seeing at how many previous deadlines I've missed, I can say with a fair bit of confidence that I have no good grasp on how long things can or will take. :p I'd like episode 2 to have somewhat more playtime than 1 (people have really been blasting through it!), so it's likely the missions will end up being more straightforward as a result (think more like mission 5 rather than mission 3) for episode 2.

As for things to do: There are a bunch of ships that are still in queue to receive a visual update (Zy fighters, the Cordi, the Hertak) and a whole batch of characters (old and new faces) that need their portraits drawn. So it's not just straight up mission building and visual novel writing from here on on. 

And for those that want to do some modding themselves, or are just interested in the various scripts used in WoD, here is some of the documentation written by Axem and Swifty
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6576073/Docs.rar
Couldn't have done without it.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I recently discovered the existence of a program called emofuri, which is capable of animating a static picture through the power of ancient japanese magic. Or something to that effect.
I spend the last couple of days aquiring basic mastery of this program and all of its moonrunes. (Because why release an english version right? Nippon only, baka gaijin go home.)

So I'd just like to take a moment to compare an old wod's headani with one of the future.

I don't know what she is talking about.
Urutorahappī!!

She's probably asking why we're staring at her if you drew the rest of it like I think you did. :lol:
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
That's pretty damn cool and impressive when you think about how much more lively characters would appear having a greater range of motion and emotion.

Offline LoneFan

She's obviously asking where her clothes have gone.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Looks quite neat and smooth.
el hombre vicio...

Offline LoneFan

Hy Spoon, maybe this will help.
Here try "I'm Hoarding all the EmoFuri tutorials" http://emofuritutorials.tumblr.com/

This has the potential to be something truly awesome, again., like doing something awesome is a weekly thing for you. 
An Emofuri menu guide: http://kirstenly.tumblr.com/post/90508981079/emofuri-menu-navigation
head - 輪郭
eye whites - 白目通常
eye pupils and irises - 瞳通常
open eyelids - マブタ通常
closed eyelids - マブタ閉じ
eyebrows - 眉
nose - 鼻
mouth closed - クチ
mouth open - クチ開き
bangs  - 前髪
chest - 胸
body - 胴体
hair at the back - 後髪
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 03:31:55 am by LoneFan »

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Thanks, though I've been going through all the tutorials I could find extensively over the past few days, those two included.  :)
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Lorric

Well really it should be compared to a current head ani rather than an old one, but I suppose Crystal doesn't have one.

Personally, I think the current head anis in the new WoD are excellent. A real highlight of the whole package. I think they just overflow with so much personality, and I hope that isn't lost with the new version.

But I can certainly see the potential. You've got more tools to use here, and I imagine you'll indeed be able to make the head anis even better, so I wish you luck. :)

And Crystal, don't worry. You're obviously a work in progress and I think we're all pleased to see you back again after your first appearance in the old WoD. I know I am, and I'm looking forward to seeing what role you're going to play in the new WoD. I'm sure he'll get around to giving you some clothes to wear.

Eventually...