Author Topic: ANNOUNCEMENT AND DEMO RELEASE: Operation Ressurection  (Read 10637 times)

Offline QueenHolley

• Queen of FreeSpace
ANNOUNCEMENT AND DEMO RELEASE: Operation Ressurection
Hello! I am a big FreeSpace fan! My uncle introduced me to the game and I've been playing all the great campaigns! He showed me how to use the mission editor and it seems really easy, so I'm going to make my own campaign. I hope you all will like it! It is called Operation Ressurection, it is about the NTF coming back to try to destroy the GTVA. But this time the NTF is using Shivans to fight. I am making a demo right now. So far I have the first mission done. I have uploaded it to see what people think of it. I hope people are going to like it as much as Derelict and Blue Planet!

Here is a link to the first demo mission (I am going to make three)

Links updated for THE WHOLE CAMPAIGN IN A SINGLE FILE!

LINK!

And here are some screenshots. I hope to have more later! :)

« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 05:21:20 pm by QueenHolley »

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Re: ANNOUNCEMENT AND DEMO RELEASE: Operation Ressurection
Man did you pick the perfect time of year to release a demo.
Waiting obligatory 3 days.

It's not you, it's ****ing april fools.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Happy "an0n takeover remembrance" day!
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline QueenHolley

• Queen of FreeSpace
Oh, this is a pretty bad time for new releases isn't it... :(

Well this mission is real!

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
[00:38]   <SDM>   BW_: That screen shot of the Ravana you just Wiki'd...
[00:38]   <SDM>   Looks a lot like a dragon's mouth.
[00:38]   <SDM>   And neck.
[00:38]   <BW_>   It's a cool shot
[00:39]   <BW_>   I quite like the background as well
[00:39]   <SDM>   I never saw the Ravana as a dragon 'til now.
[00:40]   <BW_>   Course, now that you've mentioned it, it looks like it's eating the Orion :\

Offline Nuclear1

:lol:

Axem is that you? :lol:
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 02:35:56 am by Nuclear1 »
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
The mission seems legit, but there are some things about it that raises eyebrows.

Spoiler:
Target practice because the Aquitaine is lost? Oh, come on. Even the failure debriefs in FS2 weren't that bad when you lose the destroyer in the nebula.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline QueenHolley

• Queen of FreeSpace
I spent all night working on the second mission! Man, FREDding is harder than I thought. This mission has a lot more action than the first one.

http://www.mediafire.com/?slm3wi391c9h9pr

Btw, love the new theme for this place. :)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Friggin' masterpiece
Will recommend to all my friends.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
...I feel bad now! :(

Offline QueenHolley

• Queen of FreeSpace
What? Why do you feel bad? :( Was it the campaign? Tell me what's wrong.

Offline swamper123

• Just call me Swamper
Yeah , another campaing, just hope my crappy nvidia integrated card can run it ^^
Let's play Blue Planet

Resurrection is spelled with one s and two r's, by the way.

/nitpick

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Might be a homage to Renegade Ressurgence with the (intentional) (mis)spelling there. :P
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline QueenHolley

• Queen of FreeSpace
I was so rushed for time that I didn't have time to beta test or spell check!

Sorry for the delay on the last demo mission! I had this one really strange bug that I couldn't solve. But I don't think its too serious!

If you're going to play any missions, please play this one! It's very important!

http://www.mediafire.com/?51j4janqqcxp41j

I'm going to get started on the last 37 missions right away!!!!

Here is another great screenshot!

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
I truly can't tell if this is the April Fools undertaking of some sinister member, or a genuine attempt at... stuff, I guess. In case it's the first, well done I guess.  :doubt:
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 08:56:47 pm by Nemesis6 »

Offline QueenHolley

• Queen of FreeSpace
Well I'm sure you'll find the answer to your quandry when you play the third mission all the way through!

Offline Nuclear1

:lol:  :lol:

Spoiler:
YOOUUUUUUU DIE!
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

That was fun, especially the end. Though I got the creeping feeling that somebody smarter than me was making fun of me without intending to...
I failed the first mission pretty hard though. It's cool though, because I just warped out and got all the debrief text anyway.

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
Some people are skeptical about whether this is an April Fool's prank, but it seems genuine to me, so I played the first mission.

Spoiler:
ACT 1: The Command Briefing

Not much is here to comment on. There's only one stage that consists of a few sentences. Your language is very laconic and reminds me of Mordin Solus; while this can be a good thing, you leave out details that would help with immersion. For instance, why has a single Shivan destroyer eluded the GTVA for six months?

ACT 2: The Briefing

Again your language is extremely laconic. Concise sentences serve a purpose, especially in a mission briefing, but it just creates an impediment to reading the text. Consider the FS1 briefings; they were concise, but they flowed nicely, instead of being short, choppy sentences or fragments.

On stage 2, Beta wing's popup shows an Ursa, whereas they fly Erinyes.

Why is stage 4 its own stage? It's one sentence that goes well in 3, and no icons change.

ACT 3: Loadout

Alpha is instructed to use Maras to "confuse the Shivans", but they're not undercover and other craft can be selected. This needs reworking. There are not nearly enough Tempests- remember, a single Mara can hold 840 of them!

ACT 4: The Mission

Well, um, BEAMSPAM! If I don't disable the Ravana's beams the Aquitaine is destroyed. If I do, the Aquitaine destroys the Ravana with beams. I thought we were going to capture it?

ACT 5: The Debriefing

Well, I debeamed the Ravana, allowed the Aquitaine to destroy it, waited for a bit (There's no RTB message so the mission never normally ends), then jumped out. I got what I can only assume to be both a failure and a success debriefing- one talks about an NTF spy gaining access to the destoyer, presumably from the Omega, and one says I allowed the Aquitaine to be destroyed (protip- it's not enough to slave the "Protect Aquitaine" directive to a success condition, which I assume you did, you have to check for any end condition. This includes the "Ravana Destroyed" ending, which you don't seem to check for at all).

All in all, I think I can safely assume you never tested this mission. You seem like you have a viable campaign idea with a weird-but-doable premise, but you need some basic lessons in mission design. Do the FS2 FRED walkthrough (FS2/data/freddocs/) and look at SEXPs (in events, objectives and debriefings) from the FS2 campaign, as well as some paragons of great FREDding such as Blue Planet and Vassago's Dirge. You will learn a lot.

ONE LAST NOTE

You say you're going for a retail-length 40-mission campaign. In a word, don't. In more words, there's a lot to be learned from the campaign building process, but creating a full-length campaign AND TESTING IT- which you do not seem to have done here- takes much more patience than a lot of people have. Make a shorter campaign- maybe take these three missions, fix them up, and put them together using the Campaign Editor- and then put your efforts into larger projects.

I'm going to playtest your other two missions as well, and give you any feedback that isn't the same as the stuff covered here.