Author Topic: Assert error! couldn't find a solution please help  (Read 3205 times)

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
Re: Assert error! couldn't find a solution please help
We then assume that people will read the dialog, realize it means they're playing with the wrong build, and then switch to the correct one. There's no such thing as foolproof. The simplest solution, I guess, is to name the file -DEBUG instead of -d.

I was thinking we could merge both builds into one build and have debug mode be a launcher option but then A) That's... actually worse than what we have now and B) knowing the FS Source's reputation I get the feeling it would be much more difficult than it seems.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
We then assume that people will read the dialog, realize it means they're playing with the wrong build, and then switch to the correct one. There's no such thing as foolproof. The simplest solution, I guess, is to name the file -DEBUG instead of -d.

Do both.  Rename it fsopen*-debug.exe and put the dialog in.  ;)

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon

God no dialogs please. It would seriously piss off developers like me who run debug builds constantly and would also prefer to use them unhindered.

Offline Parias

Why not just have an extra flag then to suppress the dialogue box optionally? This means people who know what they're doing and are intentionally running debug builds have no problem, but we still benefit from having new users who accidentally stumble into the debug build being automatically educated about what's going on.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam

God no dialogs please. It would seriously piss off developers like me who run debug builds constantly and would also prefer to use them unhindered.
Why not just have an extra flag then to suppress the dialogue box optionally? This means people who know what they're doing and are intentionally running debug builds have no problem, but we still benefit from having new users who accidentally stumble into the debug build being automatically educated about what's going on.
Or just have the debug build pop up a notice saying it's for debug use, and have that dialog able to be turned off via an .ini file or something.