Author Topic: Seth [RELEASED]  (Read 39161 times)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Faithful and a good improvement  :yes:
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
Thank you so much for your comments! I'm glad you like the model.
Now, regarding some aspects:

is your glow maps off?
Yes, the glow map is off, but the glowy areas are still modeled a little recessed.

(I never noticed before how much of its general shape the Tauret owes to the back end of the Seth.)
Wow...Can't unsee! The "belly" textures are almost identical!

- About the hull plates, I think it would be best to bake them into the normals, that should save quite on a few polies.
If possible I will try to keep those plates modeled... I like them the way they are.
But in the end if it really looks the same I may change my mind. I will have to test it.

- Furthermore, I'd suggest making the top gun barrels a little fatter; they seem almost frail right now.
Agreed and done.

- Another nice touch would be if you make those 'flaps' on the back a separate subobject, so they can rotate on afterburner like on the MVP Horus.
Agreed. Those "flaps" are actually not linked to the mesh for that reason. I've taken care so that they can do the same rotating movement without colliding with the hull. Even if I don't know how to make them actually do it ingame yet.  :D

About the cockpit, I've already test the Tauret's cockpit and it fits perfectly... I don't know who the author is but if I may, I will use it.

Regarding the UVmapping/Texturing part, I will surely UVmap it, but texturing is something I've never done... that doesn't mean I won't try.  ;7

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
You can use the Vasudan cockpit. I think VA made it (not sure though). Regardless, it's definitely available for this kind of use.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Fully agreed with Snail. By the way, is your glow maps off? Just want to make sure you know that the Seth has some blues in it in case it affects how you would incorporate it to your model or in case you end up texturing it.
You realize that glows are a MVP addition, right ? If one wants to base himself on the pure retail Seth, it's his call.
As Snail said, retail has blue too. Calm down, man. I was basing my comment on the retail. I only meant to let him know in case he didn't, which he confirmed that he did in fact know and modeled in the recess to boot.

Oh, my. Superb.

Also, #1 tip: Be self sufficient. Know how to UV and texture it yourself. Way too many meshes get completed and then come to a halt because the modeller tries to get someone else to finish it for them, and that someone else seldom wants to see it completed as badly as the person who started it.

Yeah SCREW those people that did that thing which I totally never honestly everever did. Nope. >_> (But seriously, it's good advice.)

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Fully agreed with Snail. By the way, is your glow maps off? Just want to make sure you know that the Seth has some blues in it in case it affects how you would incorporate it to your model or in case you end up texturing it.
You realize that glows are a MVP addition, right ? If one wants to base himself on the pure retail Seth, it's his call.
As Snail said, retail has blue too. Calm down, man. I was basing my comment on the retail. I only meant to let him know in case he didn't, which he confirmed that he did in fact know and modeled in the recess to boot.

As a matter of fact, if you play FS1 in GLIDE (Voodoo) mode, you'll notice that the blue bits do in fact glow (as do the red/white dots on other fighters).
FS1 ships have a entry in ships.tbl that specifies which colors (in RGB) on the map are not affected by lighting, letting them render at full brightness, which is basically the same as having them in a glowmap.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
FS2 has this too, $ND: or something like that. I don't think it works anymore.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
I think in retail FS2 running on a Voodoo card it should still work. When I played FS2 the first time it was in D3D mode and I was so amazed by the 1024x768 resolution that I didn't notice the missing glows until I replayed FS1 with the Voodoo2 much later.

Back on topic, I like this high-poly version of the Seth a lot... keep going.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Yeah, the $ND thing was for some old rendering mode that is definitely not supported anymore, and glow maps do that much better now anyway.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
yep $ND was a feature that was designed by :v: to work with the Glide rendering technology used by the old Voodoo cards, which at the time of FS1 there was very little serious competition for, Nvidia Riva was starting to get to the point of being household but there were more Voodoos than anything else at the time.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
Time for some pictures!

I've decided to keep an low-resolution model and a high resolution one. This way, I can have a lot of detail in my high resolution model and bake it into the other which has the same shape but much less polys (low resolution one is a little over 2.5k tris (whithout cockpit)). So, here's a little picture showing both of them:

And these two are just to show blue glows in action:

Next I'm going to put the cockpit and add some greeble.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 08:49:14 am by The Dagger »

Offline Kolgena

Baked glows are da boss.

For some reason reminds me of a batmobile.

You've demonstrated extreme aptitude with modelling and artistry. Bravo.

yep $ND was a feature that was designed by :v: to work with the Glide rendering technology used by the old Voodoo cards, which at the time of FS1 there was very little serious competition for, Nvidia Riva was starting to get to the point of being household but there were more Voodoos than anything else at the time.

uuuugh oh my god flashbacks of getting glide to work on my voodoo banshee help me someone please

I had totally forgotten I'd ever owned a Banshee D:

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
2.5k, maybe you can bring some of that paneling geometry back to the model, because what's the normal polycount on a regular htl fighter model these days? I thought it was around 6k like the loki.

Oh and those glows look really good :yes:
el hombre vicio...

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The Medusa is around 17k. For a fighter I go for around 10k.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
The Medusa is around 17k. For a fighter I go for around 10k.
This. You could keep all that paneling on the model and have a bunch of polies to spare, honestly.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
Got it!
The high-poly one is around 11k. I'll use that directly then...

Offline bkd86

Keep your low poly for a LOD model.

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
...probably easier to remake the low-poly after you finish UVing it.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken