Author Topic: Dimensional Eclipse Discussion Thread (original release thread)  (Read 152812 times)

Offline crizza

Re: RELEASE: Ashen Wings - The Shadow Ops
I also had this issue when launching, but since I've the german version to, it's allright and damn...addictive to play, well done Droid :)

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
Okay, the fighters are way too fast for my tastes.  IMHO this kind of fast paced, inertia-heavy dogfighting might be better suited for pocket corvettes that won't die from 2 seconds worth of piloting error.
Despite what your companions tell you, the huge difference in handling really does result in poor piloting and low situational awareness for fighter jocks used to slower ships.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Mmm yes, it does take a bit of getting used to the faster flight model. Maybe it might actually would have been a good idea to forgo the "normal ships to start with" thing, and stick you in a super-fighter to start with :sigh:
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

I love the faster paced firefights myself; I've actually felt that if I were to ever actually create a mod, the combat would be much faster. Also, I have yet to die from enemy fighters (granted, I'm not very far in, and I've been an idiot at time and charged 4+ cap-ship flak pockets and died very quickly, but that has nothing to do with faster flight)

On a completely different note, half the time freespace crashes when I use 3.6.13, and the other half of the time it works fine. I don't know if I'm having a problem with the mod or the .exe... should I post a debug?

Offline crizza

Spoiler:
Honestly...that mission against the squadron of enemies... I don't quite get it^^
Nevermind...
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 03:23:52 pm by crizza »

Offline Droid803

Re: RELEASE: 次元のエクリプス - Dimensional Eclipse
Ok, I guess I should stop with the bait&switch thing. Lying is bad, kids!
(´・ω・`)

Hi,
i have no sound during the missions. In the Main Menu or if i die inside the mission, the sound works. But not during the mission. If i hit "Pause" i get a glimpse of the sound an then its gone again.

Offline Droid803

Hmm...might be another case of the new sound code not playing well with audio drivers? I don't think I've ever encountered anything like that.
Does that happen when you select retail FS2 or the mediaVPs as a mod? Or is it just with this (in which case I have a bug to hunt!)
(´・ω・`)

Offline crizza

I knew there was something off, but I like this campaign realy, so it was a good prank you played.
But realy...fast dogfight allright...but it happens very often, that I crash into another fighter and my sensors are gone...then try to dogfight^^

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
I love the faster paced firefights myself; I've actually felt that if I were to ever actually create a mod, the combat would be much faster. Also, I have yet to die from enemy fighters (granted, I'm not very far in, and I've been an idiot at time and charged 4+ cap-ship flak pockets and died very quickly, but that has nothing to do with faster flight)

Same here, expect I think dying to capship flak pockets has a lot to do with the extra speed.  Like I said, the faster pacing means that you are less aware of your surroundings then you would be when flying a vanilla-style fighter, and you can easily find yourself far closer to a capital ship then you thought you were.  Either capship flak needs to be toned down a bit, or the player needs to be given something sturdy enough to survive a few seconds in a flak pocket.

Offline Droid803

For the first part there are only like, one or two classes of ships that actually mount effective point defences.
Later you will get more durable fighters, enemy fighters get better weapons, and enemy capships mount more effective weapons like AAA beams~
If you need a bit more durability, lower the difficulty a bit. :P I made it so that the AI should technically behave the same across all difficulties, and the only advantages you get at lower difficulties is AutoMagic damage reduction.

I tried to keep a manageable difficulty curve, but it's going to be hit or miss depending on the person. Can't make it perfect for everyone! (though if you find it too easy, turn up the difficulty, and if it is too hard turn it down!) That is my best advice.
(´・ω・`)

In Ubuntu 32bit compile it on your own (8688):
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install build-essential
svn checkout svn://svn.icculus.org/fs2open/trunk/fs2_open/
cd fs2_open
./autogen.sh
./configure --enable-inferno
make
After that copy the file fs2_open_INF_r from fs2_open/code/ to your FS2 directory. Build the debug build via
Code: [Select]
make clean
./configure --enable-inferno --enable-debug
make
after that.

Works flawlessly. Great MOD so far  :yes:

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
The entire idea of releasing it under a different name was AndrewofDoom's, and being a significant contributor to asset development for this mod, I let him have his fun.

Ok, I guess I should stop with the bait&switch thing. Lying is bad, kids!

OHOHOHOOHHOHOHOHOHO!

It was glorious! It was great! My evilness has just risen 50 pts for just this! Except I was expect people to get out the torches and pitchforks, but that never happened. :(

...I enjoy goading people too much. Time for me to see a doctor!

(except for perhaps one of the routes of chapter two, which is rather dumb I must admit)

Nothing wrong with going down the bizarre, twisted road! I do it all the time!

Spoiler:
So yes this is Loliquest guys...at least until yesterday afternoon anyway.
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Uh was this supposed to be a surprise, it looked a lot like a cool fast anime mod from day 1

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The original post certainly fooled me. Plus, Droid is a trusted poster of legit stuff.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline -Norbert-

Since I'm still downloading quite slowly, I had enough time to wonder about the title:
Did you write eclipse in katakana for the looks? (If not: 日食 = Solar eclipse - nisshoku; 月食 = lunar eclipse - gesshoku)

And why did you end it with a "su" ス instead of a "se" セ ?

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Okay, the fighters are way too fast for my tastes.  IMHO this kind of fast paced, inertia-heavy dogfighting might be better suited for pocket corvettes that won't die from 2 seconds worth of piloting error.
Despite what your companions tell you, the huge difference in handling really does result in poor piloting and low situational awareness for fighter jocks used to slower ships.

Learn to fly your ****, Alex. I don't have a problem. :P
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
I don't know why, but all your ships looks too tiny !! :) And with the provided build, when you go in your first real mission, the ship you must protect is too dark. :(

Offline qwadtep

Is that Eonia's girlfriend from Galaxy Angel in the third screenshot? I hope she doesn't die and then never get mentioned again this time.

Offline mralexs

• I'm White and Nerdy
For some reason on the first mission i just spawn in the middle of a huge firefight between shivans and the SOC, with an anime chick talking  :confused:

Is that supposed to happen?