Author Topic: GVC Mentu [RELEASED]  (Read 36376 times)

Offline Oddgrim

• I like building stuff.
    • Art Thumblr
GVC Mentu [RELEASED]

It's completed!

Normal Download

With Beam cannon Download

Special thanks to mjn.miaxel for assistance on normal maps and shines. Thanks to hades for help with testing/glows/thrusters. c:

edit:Added a front beam version.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 12:54:31 pm by Oddgrim »
[GhostOfMjn: I can provide hi res vasudan ass]
[Hades]: we have so much in common we should bang.
My models page:
http://p3d.in/u/Oddgrim

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
Nice!!

Should be in FSU forum methinks.

R

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile

You're awesome :yes:
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Kolgena

Looks great. Can't offer much feedback before you do more detailing, except that the general vibe stays true to the original, and that it is pretty so far.

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
Very nice model, sir.  :yes:
It looks good and true to the original.
My only advice is this: be carefull with smoothing operators. The central line looks a little odd on the down view and there's another case in the dorsal part, between the "dorsal plates" and the "ribs". Maybe on the arms too.
But overall, very good job. I can't wait to see more.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
I'm loving it!
I do miss the hard lines of the underside that are hinted at in the original's texture.
As for suggestions, maybe have some cuts on the "arms" that show window sections, or ribbing?
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I recall making this suggestion back when the previous "upgraded" Mentu was being shown off.  I was suggesting that the gap in between the forward... "mandibles", could use a turret.  This would be added as a submodel, but be left out of default tables for retail compatibility.  I just feel that the Mentu lacks any even light anti-warship capability, and mods might wish to have this as an option for the future.  Just a suggestion.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Looks great, definitely better than the old one.

Offline Oddgrim

• I like building stuff.
    • Art Thumblr

You're awesome :yes:
Nice seal!, Let me print it out and stick it on my wall c:

Very nice model, sir.  :yes:
It looks good and true to the original.
My only advice is this: be carefull with smoothing operators. The central line looks a little odd on the down view and there's another case in the dorsal part, between the "dorsal plates" and the "ribs". Maybe on the arms too.
But overall, very good job. I can't wait to see more.
Cheers!, the reason the smoothing is off right now is becosme I only used a 22% soft modifier on the mesh and the geebles are only rough polys. But thanks for the warning none the less. c:

I'm loving it!
I do miss the hard lines of the underside that are hinted at in the original's texture.
As for suggestions, maybe have some cuts on the "arms" that show window sections, or ribbing?
goodie! Good suggestion , I'm not overly found of ribbing since I feel they are a more shivanesce mesh trait then vasudan.. maybe a vasudan type ribbing?.. humm

I recall making this suggestion back when the previous "upgraded" Mentu was being shown off.  I was suggesting that the gap in between the forward... "mandibles", could use a turret.  This would be added as a submodel, but be left out of default tables for retail compatibility.  I just feel that the Mentu lacks any even light anti-warship capability, and mods might wish to have this as an option for the future.  Just a suggestion.
Theres defiantly a room for a turret in there (, and I personally believe by the texture setting in retail model, one was there before for some reason it got removed (mentu has like 14 turrets, lolwut  :p ) for balancing purposes.
So I think it's a good idea to release two different models one with a beam turret in the front and one without, again the turret would be of limited value since it's rather narrow in there 20% or something angle to prevent it shooting through the mesh. :p

My models page:

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
again the turret would be of limited value since it's rather narrow in there 20% or something angle to prevent it shooting through the mesh. :p
No need to manually narrow the turret fov, we have the "check hull" subsystem flag for that, which would have the benefit to enable the turret to fire up and down just fine.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Oddgrim

• I like building stuff.
    • Art Thumblr

Ribsrubsribsrubs...
Compiled a .pof version of the mesh if anyone wants to take a closer look.
Did some general detailing and added ribs underneath and a bit on the front.
Edit: currently there is only a rough smoothing on mesh (22%)

http://www.mediafire.com/?lg78b2olpjsmftk

edit: fixed link, added render.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 09:34:19 am by Oddgrim »
My models page:

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
It now looks like there should be pulse-turrets on the wingtips.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Vip

Somehow, I imagined Mentu flying and fighting like the Defiant from DS9 or the White Star from Babylon 5 :D
Lieutenant Commander Richard "Viper" Pred

Offline Oddgrim

• I like building stuff.
    • Art Thumblr

Somehow, I imagined Mentu flying and fighting like the Defiant from DS9 or the White Star from Babylon 5 :D
Same here, pew pew!  :D

Anyways.. started texturing today, and did a mesh test for the first time ingame to check if the model was functional, no broken geometry nonsense. The textures on the back are kinda weird and will change them, the green armour in front of the bridge looks odd as well and..well not much else to say. Other then I'm hungry and need food * runs off to eat*

« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 04:09:15 pm by Oddgrim »
My models page:

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The problem with the green panels is that they are clearly drawn over a Vasudan armor tile map.

What you need to do is totally separate them. If you are going to do the green armor, then make that decision and go all the way. I would remove complete the Vasudan armor tile inside the green parts. Add some texture noise (catch me on IRC and I'll walk you through that if you don't know what I mean) and then choose a different Vasudan tile to paint over/under the green armor.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
The original Mentu has a big turret behind the bridge. I doesn't look like you planned out a space in your geometry for that turret.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline Oddgrim

• I like building stuff.
    • Art Thumblr
The original Mentu has a big turret behind the bridge. I doesn't look like you planned out a space in your geometry for that turret.
Will add it at a later stage, it's not that hard to adjust mesh and mapping to the model, still have some space on the texture c:
My models page:

Offline Oddgrim

• I like building stuff.
    • Art Thumblr

Quick snapshot of current progress..
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 04:09:38 pm by Oddgrim »
My models page:

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I think the green parts should be a bit toned down. Less saturated then they are now.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline FSW

Wow, this is looking great. The wingtips appear a little blunt, and may look better pointed. The textures at the back may be a little 'cartoony', but I realise you're not finished.