Poll

How much would you contribute towards a Kickstarter aimed at acquiring the FreeSpace licence from Interplay?

< $10
14 (20.9%)
$10 - $100
38 (56.7%)
$100 - $250
7 (10.4%)
$250 - $500
5 (7.5%)
$500 - $1000
1 (1.5%)
$1000 - $10k
0 (0%)
$10k+
2 (3%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Author Topic: A chance for FS3 with the help from kickstarter ?  (Read 33144 times)

Offline wuu

A chance for FS3 with the help from kickstarter ?
A chance for FS3 with the help from kickstarter ?

I think this is a quite interesting topic,  I believe a kickstarter started by volition on its own wouldn't stand a chance because there is not to much of an audience for this kind of game, but I could be wrong.

But if several people of HLP would be involved in a way I don't know . Its all about the costs. To make a new game engine or to to push FSO in way we hadn't seen.

Why I started this, I think it will be fun to read your opinions and because I am still not finished as alpha 1 !!!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 05:23:51 pm by wuu »
Der Freigeist

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Re: A chance for FS3 with the help from kickstarter ?
 :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

good luck negotiating the rights from interplay.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline wuu

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

The biggest hurdle , but how to approach a kickstarter campaign to make it possible I think is on par with to the get the rights from interplay.
Der Freigeist

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever
well i suppose the first step you would take would be to ask.
Stuff

Offline Legate Damar

• Keeping up with the Cardassians
  • Hail Cardassia!
You could do a "spiritual sequel," just name it something different.

Offline HAZARDLEADER

• LOL! A wild derp appears!
  • The lurk god.

The biggest hurdle , but how to approach a kickstarter campaign to make it possible I think is on par with to the get the rights from interplay.
Solution theory; make a Hard-light publishing studio comprised of hard light members, have a fund raiser or use some money that WE all have and buy the rights to freespace from interplay (which would cost an ass ton of money), say hey Volition we want you to make fs3. done.  :nod: They already said they would commit murder to make freespace 3.  ;)
...and from the depths of hell I return with gifts;  one-hundred bucks and a bottle of booze.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Having a FS3 would be bad and you should feel bad.

Seriously now, the reason we all keep coming back to Freespace 1 or 2 is because of the mystery, it's the lack of closure that makes Freespace interesting (just like the lack of closure was supposed to make MGS2 interesting, nevermind the brain dead fanbase killing that <_<) having a Freespace 3 would kill interest in the franchise.

I mean come on! it's the lack of closure that gave us awesome mods/campaigns like Inferno, Blue Planet, Vassago's Dirge, and hundreds more I cannot think of right now.
It makes us think, and only true art makes you think. (FS being art or not is subject to ones' opinion, keep that in mind)

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Your biggest hurdle is that you have a chicken and the egg scenario.

you post your kickstart first and by the fact you dont have all the necessary rights to distribute your FS game then you are in a situation where you are advertising for funds for a project you dont have the legal right to complete which might violate Kickstarts valid project rule, also Interplay might also have the right to issue a cease and desist if they feel it in their interest to.

alternatively

you approach Interplay about acquiring the rights and get laughed out of the office because you are not in a position to guarantee payment, remember industry insiders have approached Interplay about it and While Derek Smart is a collective curse around here it is my understanding that he was interested in acquiring the rights regardless of the community feeling and it still didn't happen, probably because interplay wanted more than a reasonable sum of money for it.

Lastly the whole Interplay-Bethesda-Fallout fiasco would make me very cautious about what exact rights I had at the end of the day, remember that if you want :v: to be involved (which would be a necessity for a good number here to accept the new game) then Interplay would have to have no or little hand in it's development as I expect THQ will demand to be the publisher as :v:'s corporate owners.

Seriously now, the reason we all keep coming back to Freespace 1 or 2 is because of the mystery, it's the lack of closure that makes Freespace interesting (just like the lack of closure was supposed to make MGS2 interesting, nevermind the brain dead fanbase killing that <_<) having a Freespace 3 would kill interest in the franchise.

I mean come on! it's the lack of closure that gave us awesome mods/campaigns like Inferno, Blue Planet, Vassago's Dirge, and hundreds more I cannot think of right now.
It makes us think, and only true art makes you think. (FS being art or not is subject to ones' opinion, keep that in mind)

FS3 wouldn't have to be set after Capella, remember we have the Ancient-Shivan, T-V and NTF conflicts where we have little or no canon info which would be fun to explore, not to mention there has not been a game and precious few mods which explore FS from a Vasudan perspective.
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Ungh, would we please put back the "don't talk about FS3" thing?
Because it's rather annoying.

No, I don't give a **** about FS3. Even if one were made at this point I'm not even sure I would even care, regardless of if :v: made it or not.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline wuu

I have to agree with the none closure, that give us the opportunity to make so many different approaches what could be, but in the same time what would happend when the guys from volition had the change to finish it could they nail it !
Der Freigeist

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
It's been 13 years. Time to let go.

We have FSO. We have tons of mods. We have an awesome community. And Volition is still out there doing lots of awesome stuff that has nothing to do with FS.

You'll find that 99% of the people around here are perfectly fine with this state of affair.

As you can expect, in 13 years, people have debated over and over again about what FS3 could be or what it should be or whatnot. Most of those ideas have evolved into fanfics, campaigns, mods. FS3 would kill all of this by putting FS canon on a single, narrow track to follow. The only thing it would achieve is dividing the community over whether we should accept it or reject it or whatnot. It is simpler, and objectively better, for everyone involved, to keep the status quo. It has worked well for us for more than a decade, and it has shown no sign to become otherwise in the foreseeable future.

Freespace is not dead. It's our job, it's your job, to keep it alive. That's what we're all here for. We have the tools for it, we have the will for it, and that's all we'll ever need.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline wuu

Ungh, would we please put back the "don't talk about FS3" thing?
Because it's rather annoying.

No, I don't give a **** about FS3. Even if one were made at this point I'm not even sure I would even care, regardless of if :v: made it or not.

A really interesting opinion, I think what makes Freespace2 so appealing is FSO without it no TBP or WCS,
a interesting approach could be that FS3 would be a open source code.
Der Freigeist

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
If you look at interviews with  :v:, BP nailed their intention for FS3 almost perfectly. Really, we don't need an official sequel, such attempts after such a long time usually ruined the franchise and were deemed discontinuity anyway. You have a lot of campaigns detailing what happened after FS2, and nothing stops you from making your own mod in one of those timelines, if you wish to do so.

Offline HAZARDLEADER

• LOL! A wild derp appears!
  • The lurk god.
If you look at interviews with  :v:, BP nailed their intention for FS3 almost perfectly. Really, we don't need an official sequel, such attempts after such a long time usually ruined the franchise and were deemed discontinuity anyway. You have a lot of campaigns detailing what happened after FS2, and nothing stops you from making your own mod in one of those timelines, if you wish to do so.
I already consider Blue planet cannon!
...and from the depths of hell I return with gifts;  one-hundred bucks and a bottle of booze.

BP is not canon.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I also accepted it as being as close to canon fan made content can get, especially after those interviews with :v: members confirming so many ideas BP had. It comes the closest to realizing their vision of FS3, and IMHO, it's actually written better than either FS1 or FS2. It also fits with the overall theme of FS2. While there are other great campaigns out there, none of them managed to guess :v:'s ideas with such precision.

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I also accepted it as being as close to canon fan made content can get, especially after those interviews with :v: members confirming so many ideas BP had. It comes the closest to realizing their vision of FS3, and IMHO, it's actually written better than either FS1 or FS2. It also fits with the overall theme of FS2. While there are other great campaigns out there, none of them managed to guess :v:'s ideas with such precision.

personally I found the similarities a little suspect, but as I only have a few half baked theories I will leave it at that

Offline wuu

The most interesting aspect for a FS3 kickstarter is not the finishing of the campaign.

But the possibility that would bring it, I know I stepping on land mine with posting this but a new source code that is open source would be a quite interesting.

Freespace 2 as it is now is all about the awesome mods.
Der Freigeist

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I don't see any potential FS3 having half the features that FS2 currently has, tbh.
And there's no guarantee it would be any less codethulu.
I don't see what's so exciting about it maybe except for an interface system which isn't stuck in the 90's.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
what interviews?
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!