Poll

How much would you contribute towards a Kickstarter aimed at acquiring the FreeSpace licence from Interplay?

< $10
14 (20.9%)
$10 - $100
38 (56.7%)
$100 - $250
7 (10.4%)
$250 - $500
5 (7.5%)
$500 - $1000
1 (1.5%)
$1000 - $10k
0 (0%)
$10k+
2 (3%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Author Topic: A chance for FS3 with the help from kickstarter ?  (Read 33136 times)

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
Re: A chance for FS3 with the help from kickstarter ?
/thread

Lock time.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Just cause of that post, I'm going to unlock this thread if anyone locks it. No one tells me what to do. :p Oh, and for those you thinking of spamming in order to get me to close it, the ban button awaits. :p

Seriously though, don't backseat moderate. Obviously some people want to try this, so the thread stays open.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
I prefer the term side car moderate.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Just cause of that post, I'm going to unlock this thread if anyone locks it. No one tells me what to do.

I used to do that kind of thing to my parents when I was a kid... What's that Dad? Don't hit my brother? K... WHACK.  :rolleyes:
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Terrible sibling!  For shame!  :lol:

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Oh people are definitely entitled to try and fail at this.
Definitely.

Wasting your own time is always an option.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
Srsly tho shark tank.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 05:27:54 pm by jr2 »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Seriously. Back on topic.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
Make a kickstarter campaign for a Freespace II spiritual sequel called Truespace III and then make it yourselves, then sell it for $30 per copy and go home wealthy.

Problem solved.  Hell, with the standard of writing in BP, you might as well be Obsidian except with far fewer bugs.  Hell, I bet Battuta could write a better FS3 than Volition could.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
lol, truespace. i think that name is taken up my some of our more archaic mod tools.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
Wow, this thread is still going? I'm surprised that it's not been locked. *Looks at Karajorma's earlier post*...Or is going to be... :doubt:
Oh well, nothing like watching a train wreck from the front carriage!

lol, truespace. i think that name is taken up my some of our more archaic mod tools.

How about 'GleeSpace' where instead of fighting with lasers and missiles, you bombard the enemy comms with corny highschool teen angst, poor musical acts and fire large mannish looking cheerleading coaches at enemy ships?
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Obsidian's Kickstarter is at $3.8 million, and with Paypal pledges it may be over $4 million. Chris Roberts' Star Citizen may move to it as well.

Kickstarter crowds would be definitely able to fund a FS3. The question I guess is getting the rights and the people back together.

Obsidian's Kickstarter is at $3.8 million, and with Paypal pledges it may be over $4 million. Chris Roberts' Star Citizen may move to it as well.

Kickstarter crowds would be definitely able to fund a FS3. The question I guess is getting the rights and the people back together.

It's not a question of whether or not there are enough interested people, it's finding those interested people and saying "hey give us some money!". Just look at the Nexus 2 Kickstarter for proof of that. I'm sure there're enough people who want Nexus 2, they just don't follow Kickstarter religiously, and nobody is really talking about it.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Solution, send mail to Penny Arcade/[Favorite popular VG Webcomic] and hope for the best.

FreeSpace has a lot more prestige and nostalgia than Nexus. Sorry, but to me Nexus is as interchangeable as X3 in terms of "real-time space tactics game that I really do not want to get into because it looks like one-player EVE Online and I'd rather have a Homeworld sequel, thanks." Freespace is a space sim, which was probably a bigger genre back in its heyday, anyway.  I really doubt that funding is any issue; it's just a matter of getting the license into the right hands of the people who can make an FS3.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
FreeSpace has a lot more prestige and nostalgia than Nexus. Sorry, but to me Nexus is as interchangeable as X3 in terms of "real-time space tactics game that I really do not want to get into because it looks like one-player EVE Online and I'd rather have a Homeworld sequel, thanks." Freespace is a space sim, which was probably a bigger genre back in its heyday, anyway.  I really doubt that funding is any issue; it's just a matter of getting the license into the right hands of the people who can make an FS3.

Nexus is really distinct from X3 and EVE. It's closer to Homeworld crossed with the old Starfleet Command games.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Nexus is actually much closer to Freespace than to X3 and EVE in that it is made of separate, strongly objective-oriented missions instead of working in an open world.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Mikes

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

good luck negotiating the rights from interplay.

The biggest hurdle , but how to approach a kickstarter campaign to make it possible I think is on par with to the get the rights from interplay.
Solution theory; make a Hard-light publishing studio comprised of hard light members, have a fund raiser or use some money that WE all have and buy the rights to freespace from interplay (which would cost an ass ton of money), say hey Volition we want you to make fs3. done.  :nod: They already said they would commit murder to make freespace 3.  ;)

If there was a hardlight publishing studio wanting to make a space sim...  why would you at this point limit yourself to a sequel and not make something new and unique instead?

Freespace 3 has so much baggage at this point that it would never please *all* or even a majority of the old veterans... and being a hardcore space sim (hardcore by todays gaming standards) it would very likely not fare well with the rest of the gaming world.

I doubt it would even be possible to make it a success...  too much paradoxes involved in that lol.

Offline HAZARDLEADER

• LOL! A wild derp appears!
  • The lurk god.
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

good luck negotiating the rights from interplay.

The biggest hurdle , but how to approach a kickstarter campaign to make it possible I think is on par with to the get the rights from interplay.
Solution theory; make a Hard-light publishing studio comprised of hard light members, have a fund raiser or use some money that WE all have and buy the rights to freespace from interplay (which would cost an ass ton of money), say hey Volition we want you to make fs3. done.  :nod: They already said they would commit murder to make freespace 3.  ;)

If there was a hardlight publishing studio wanting to make a space sim...  why would you at this point limit yourself to a sequel and not make something new and unique instead?

Freespace 3 has so much baggage at this point that it would never please *all* or even a majority of the old veterans... and being a hardcore space sim (hardcore by todays gaming standards) it would very likely not fare well with the rest of the gaming world.

I doubt it would even be possible to make it a success...  too much paradoxes involved in that lol.
Your right, but at the time of that post I really had no clue what was involved.
...and from the depths of hell I return with gifts;  one-hundred bucks and a bottle of booze.