Poll

How much would you contribute towards a Kickstarter aimed at acquiring the FreeSpace licence from Interplay?

< $10
14 (20.9%)
$10 - $100
38 (56.7%)
$100 - $250
7 (10.4%)
$250 - $500
5 (7.5%)
$500 - $1000
1 (1.5%)
$1000 - $10k
0 (0%)
$10k+
2 (3%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Author Topic: A chance for FS3 with the help from kickstarter ?  (Read 32980 times)

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Re: A chance for FS3 with the help from kickstarter ?
i'm really tired of seeing the "FS3 might ruin it for me, so no one should get it" argument.  that's your problem to deal with.  forgive my language, but if this ever WERE to happen,  :v: or whoever the devs end up being aren't going to give a flying **** about your issues with their story.

we've all played silent threat.  by a show of hands, who just ignores it (or further, replaces it with ST:R), and who thinks FS1 is forever ruined because they tacked on something bad after it?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 12:28:55 am by Klaustrophobia »
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
At this point, any mod with a storyline that doesn't contradict the established narrative can claim a small amount of canon plausibility, even if it will never become a canonical reality. FS3 would eliminate that and throw every post-capella campaign into alternate-universe territory, thereby invalidating their storylines in a canon sense.

And let's not forget that if FS3 was moddable enough (and it might well be) it would either (A) compete with the SCP and split FreeSpace mods between two different programs, making it significantly harder and costlier to play all of them, or (B) eliminate the SCP all together.

Is your enjoyment of Awakenings lessened by the fact that FS2 came out?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I personally would not want to see an official conclusion to the FreeSpace narrative. It would immediately invalidate all the SCP team's hard work and the storylines of every single post-capella mod.

As far as I'm concerned, FSO and FS3 are one and the same.

You never heard of alternate endings / fanfics?  It doesn't invalidate them... because they were never valid to begin with   /rant  EDIT: I mean, they aren't canon, stop pretending they are, and therefore, as fanfic, they aren't "invalidated"... they become another dimension of the story universe... and they can exist simultaneously, if your mind is big enough.  :P

EDIT:

At this point, any mod with a storyline that doesn't contradict the established narrative can claim a small amount of canon plausibility, even if it will never become a canonical reality. FS3 would eliminate that and throw every post-capella campaign into alternate-universe territory, thereby invalidating their storylines in a canon sense.

And let's not forget that if FS3 was moddable enough (and it might well be) it would either (A) compete with the SCP and split FreeSpace mods between two different programs, making it significantly harder and costlier to play all of them, or (B) eliminate the SCP all together.

^^  This... So much this.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I suspect what people are trying to get at is this.

FS2 was open-ended. In general it seems most people expect an FS3 would answer a lot of the unanswered questions that many mods were based on. But more importantly, it would answer a lot of the unanswered questions that have been burning in many of us since the first time we finished FS2 and craved for more, More, MORE. Voila.. HLP.. and we made more.

It seems to me that several people are suggesting that if an FS3 was made that did answer a lot of the unanswered FS2 questions, it might temper the fire that has kept FS alive for a decade.

I neither agree nor disagree with the statements, just trying to clarify what I've been reading.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I always rather figured that FS3 would answer some questions, yes, but pose a lot more.  That's just good story-telling there. (At least if you want to keep 'em coming back for more!)

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I always rather figured that FS3 would answer some questions, yes, but pose a lot more.  That's just good story-telling there. (At least if you want to keep 'em coming back for more!)
That's the kind of idealism that makes that we can't have nice things.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grĂ¢ce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Apollo

• Free Market Fascist
i'm really tired of seeing the "FS3 might ruin it for me, so no one should get it" argument.  that's your problem to deal with.  forgive my language, but if this ever WERE to happen,  :v: or whoever the devs end up being aren't going to give a flying **** about your issues with their story.

we've all played silent threat.  by a show of hands, who just ignores it (or further, replaces it with ST:R), and who thinks FS1 is forever ruined because they tacked on something bad after it?

I never said that I thought FS3 would suck, I just didn't want to see it for other reasons. Please read my post before you comment on it.

I accept Silent Threat as canon, although ST:R is so similar in terms of storyline that I would have no difficulty playing a mod using it instead of Silent Threat.

I'm not making any concerted effort to prevent the development of FS3, and I never insulted you, so would you please calm the **** down? Getting combative over someone else's opinion about a computer game is goddamn ridiculous.*
You never heard of alternate endings / fanfics?  It doesn't invalidate them... because they were never valid to begin with   /rant  EDIT: I mean, they aren't canon, stop pretending they are, and therefore, as fanfic, they aren't "invalidated"... they become another dimension of the story universe... and they can exist simultaneously, if your mind is big enough.  :P

Mods aren't canon, but in most cases they also don't contradict canon, making them more believable than some alternate universe thing. Make FS3, and nearly every post-capella mod will contradict canon.

EDIT:

^^  This... So much this.

I haven't played Awakenings, but if it contradicts FS2 than it would.

I can still enjoy Destiny of Peace and other post-FS1 campaigns, but it really kills immersion for me if they contradict canon too much.

*If you can get mad at me for stupid reasons than I can reply harshly... right? :nervous: Don't wanna get banned.
Current Project - Eos: The Coward's Blade. Coming Soon (hopefully.)

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
That wasn't directly at you, it was for everyone who is adamant FS3 should not be made because it will "ruin" what we already have.  It happens EVERY time fs3 is mentioned.  "I don't want it, so it should never be made.  End of discussion."  This is FAR more irritating to me than the "will it ever happen?" question. 

If there WAS a person in this thread my post was more directed at, it would be matth.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Apollo

• Free Market Fascist
That wasn't directly at you, it was for everyone who is adamant FS3 should not be made because it will "ruin" what we already have.  It happens EVERY time fs3 is mentioned.  "I don't want it, so it should never be made.  End of discussion."  This is FAR more irritating to me than the "will it ever happen?" question. 

If there WAS a person in this thread my post was more directed at, it would be matth.
OK. Sorry if I misunderstood you.

For what it's worth, I'm not completely against the idea of a FS3, although I do feel the problems outweigh the benefits. But that's just my personal opinion.
Current Project - Eos: The Coward's Blade. Coming Soon (hopefully.)