Author Topic: Home One  (Read 53118 times)

Yeah, what the heck is that supposed to be? :doubt:

It's a good thing, of course.

Wow, I love those details, especially on the engines. :)
Audio Converter of Enigma Campaign 2666:
http://enigma.de.to/

German translator of WC: Hostile Frontier:
http://www.ciinet.org/kevin/wchf/

My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/FekLeyrTarg?feature=mhee

Offline newman

You don't know what it is either, do you? :P
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

You don't know what it is either, do you? :P

No. Looks good, though.

Offline -Norbert-

While the pipes do look great, I'm not so sure they fit on the model.
Aren't the Calamari Cruisers supposed to be Luxuryliners converted to battleships?
One wouldn't show those pipes because they don't look luxurious and the other would slap armorplates over the pipes, or they'd be a vulnerbility.

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
While the pipes do look great, I'm not so sure they fit on the model.
Aren't the Calamari Cruisers supposed to be Luxuryliners converted to battleships?
One wouldn't show those pipes because they don't look luxurious and the other would slap armorplates over the pipes, or they'd be a vulnerbility.
I'd say he's doing a pretty good job of matching it to the original model. Not vertex-for-vertex, perhaps, but the area around those side engines definitely has some pipes.

If you're concerned about why the ship looks that way in the actual film, suppose that the side engines were added-on for maneuverability in the battleship upgrade, and that extra armor was found to be impractical from a structural or heat dispersal perspective.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Or that was an area where damaged armor was already removed and was unabled to be replaced.  It's probably already seen battle, y'know :)
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline -Norbert-

That's a nice idea... any chance some of the engines could get armor, while others are exposed?
After all it is a one of a kind ship (as far as I know).

I guess I could scale up the floating panels a bit more. Make them cover a greater area. The scale of the pipes is a bit off, too. The actual model has smaller pipes, and I'm pretty sure most of the dark part is just hull painted dark grey with small pieces of stuff glued on. I'm hoping that the bigger pipes will be able to capture the same space, but in a more visually interesting way by exposing the interior a bit more.

Form over function, it'll look okay, but I don't think it'll make a lot of sense from a functional standpoint. If I were a Mon Calamarian engineer, I'd be building blisterless ovoid, with ridiculously thick armour and a few really powerful weapons in the front. The back would be all engines and it could just power around blasting stuff before running away. That would be really boring aesthetically, which is why Star Wars has greebles and missing armour.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Since this is a model based on a physical model from the OT, I really do think it needs to match the studio model as close as possible, lest we be judged and found wanting by the fanbois.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

The fanbois have the same resources to work with as I do (ie. not much). I'm counting on pixelation to hide my deviation from canon.

I've finished UV Mapping the geometry that I've made so far:

Not my favorite angle, but here's the underside, viewed from the front:

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
  • maveric modeler, the sky is just the begining
looking great :D cant wait to see the final result, now I need to go bug someone about a uv....

Here's an update on the texture:

The red will go. I'll have to figure out a better way to introduce the colour.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
I bet just the desaturation that you see in the films (as compared to the model photographs) will make the color changes seem much less jarring. Looking sweet!

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
it's looking awesome :)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

I bet just the desaturation that you see in the films (as compared to the model photographs) will make the color changes seem much less jarring. Looking sweet!

You're probably right. The colours from the model photographs are all much more colourful than the stills from the movies. We'll see how it goes.

it's looking awesome :)

Thanks!

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
  • maveric modeler, the sky is just the begining
nice man, looking good