Author Topic: What are you playing right now?  (Read 612154 times)

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Re: What are you playing right now?
Finished Battletech months after launch (played from day one). Much recommended. The DLCs can come now.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I finished Assassin's Creed Revelations (PC).
Finally Ezio's story concludes and Desmond has a cliffhanger that includes some shots lifted wholesale from Donner's Superman.
Meanwhile the level of fluff added to the thing is slightly less than Brotherhood but also less meaningful, I mean: the various guilds were integrated into the plot in AC:B but here I never even bothered with thieves and mercenaries because to the main plot were basically non-entities.
At least Ezio had an ending, it's a pity that this last game with him was relatively uninteresting but it gave him some sort of closure which according to what I hear about the protagonists of the sequels and Desmond is at least something.

Now it's either finishing Hitman: Contracts or Descent 3, I'll probably do the latter so I can play Overload and do my usual publishing order series run for the stuff I wasn't able to play when it came out.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
I've got a Battletech campaign right before the final mission, ready to go for the DLC

As for Asscreed Revelations, I still hold that one as my favorite.  I am a story guy, and that one had the best story.

I am terrorizing the world of Totalwarhammer 2, enjoying the new Vampire Pirates DLC, which is exactly what you'd expect of a 50/50 blend of Vampires and Pirates.  It's great.  My undead crab armies will terrorize the whole world!
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Bemoaning that I will never be as good at DMC as these guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gJxZomuots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gauWIdrXD6k

But I can try. :D

Well. I finally did it. With a little help from some total strangers - no - friends, I completed NieR: Automata. Actually, fully, completely, *Transcendant Being* completed, for good.

So I'm in a bit of an emotional state right now, you'll understand, I'm sure.

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
Bit of Fallout 76 and CK2 Holy Fury. Both came out yesterday, gonna see how it works.

Online Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I'm not keen on 76 after watching a fair bit of game play footage.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
The Stellaris WoD-tribute game entered the End-Game Crisis and ... ended in a big anti-climax.

Basically what happened is that the Contingency (yeah, too many robots between the SU and UGC) came out, but the player controlled SU had too much infrastructure and fleets for the max-strength crisis to do the lasting damage to the galaxy at large that usually happens.

Stocking up to go back Trails of Cold Steel 1 & 2 'cause the publisher got the rights to the original Japanse voice acting following acquisition of the rights to the PS4 remasters (which in Japan were part of the marketing push for part 3, giving you an interrupted line of savegames all the way to concluding part 4).

In the meantime, major technical issue in TLG - Ashcroft resolved, so back to going "all the testing" in Freespace 2.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
Played a bit more of Monster Hunter World and Dark Souls Remaster the past couple weeks and while I don't have the energy to throw at MHW as of late, it's still a great game to pick up for an hour and do a few hunts.

Stocking up to go back Trails of Cold Steel 1 & 2 'cause the publisher got the rights to the original Japanse voice acting following acquisition of the rights to the PS4 remasters (which in Japan were part of the marketing push for part 3, giving you an interrupted line of savegames all the way to concluding part 4).

I need to finish Trails in the Sky SC and 3 still (I'm in the final dungeon). Was that why XSEED was doing a few Cold Steel streams this week or last week?

I've also been replaying Silent Threat: Reborn and decided to kick the difficulty back down to medium after Hellfire and the Wait were a lot of having to play in very particular ways that got a little tedious. Still a great mod!
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Offline 0rph3u5

Played a bit more of Monster Hunter World and Dark Souls Remaster the past couple weeks and while I don't have the energy to throw at MHW as of late, it's still a great game to pick up for an hour and do a few hunts.

I need to finish Trails in the Sky SC and 3 still (I'm in the final dungeon). Was that why XSEED was doing a few Cold Steel streams this week or last week?

Dunno about streams but they patched in the voice pack last week, along with some other extras, and the announcement was like 3 weeks ago - I was so over the moon at that point, as I really want to see the story concluded after the ending and epilogue(s) ToCS 2.

I assume the final dungeon of SC? - Yeah, that can feel a bit tedious esspecially when "oh, I should have brough him/her for this bit" (all party members that have "history" with the antagonist miniboss squad get a little pay-off in the respective encounter, the game however doesn't telegraph the order of encounters)*

Trails in the Sky the 3rd maybe a long winded epilogue but its setting up a lot of stuff for the Crossbell-Arc (didn't release in the West, runs paralell to ToCS) and the Trails of Cold Steel in its side stories - however even without the set-up ToCS is really easy to get into as a starting point IMO as it much more carried by the essemble that is Class 7.

EDIT:
*If you just want to blast through to the ending of SC:
Spoiler:
I went with a party consisting of Estelle (req.), Joshua (req.), Kloe and Kevin. I had Kloe and Kevin with CP regen items, so they charged up their S-Crafts fast enough for difficult encounters. I also loaded Estelle with Earth Quarz as much as possible to have her able to cast physical immunity, while Kloe had a mix of water and mirage (all heals and spell reflect) and Kevin had a mix of mirage and space (additional spell reflect).
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 09:53:11 pm by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I finished the main story of Descent 3 (PC)
Compared to the first two is just not as fun. The levels are more complex but for some reason in the new map (which is also less redable than the old wireframe) the objectives aren't marked so it's guidebot or bust. The guidebot at times is a bit glitchy, often I had to repeat the order multiple times before it stopped flying in circles and started going. Also the birefings sometimes are a bit too generic, often not mentioning you have to do something obtuse to complete a level and there doesn't seem to be a way to recall them once you started the levels, not even a simple objective checklist. The ships feel slow and sluggish regardless of which you choose, not helped by the levels being huge, the open spaces in particular after you clean them up are a bit tedious to traverse. And god forbid you blast something too close to the margins of the arbitrary gameplay area because any powerups or energy they drop is lost forever otherwise. Also the game even after the GOG.com treatment still doesn't run that well compared to the originals in DXX-rebirth, the gamma seems too high (at least from what I remember of the screenshots in old magazines), there are audio glitches and configuring a dual analog controller (in my case a HOTAS with ministick on the throttle) is not optimal since it only supports 2 axis plus rudder and throttle.
I'll leave it installed in case I want to play the Mercenary expansion later on but at the moment I think I'll let it rest a bit.

Overload (PC)
Thankfully it plays more like the first two Descent titles, there's even hostage rescuing! I loved hostage rescuing!
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Personally I always found D3's automap to be waaaayyyy more readable than that of D1/2.  Being able to use normal ship controls to maneuver around it was a godsend, and I always had a hell of a time figuring out exactly which wall belonged to which room in the old wireframe model, especially in levels with more complex overlapping geometry.  I thought there was at least some sort of marker that appeared on the map, but it's been a very long time so I could be wrong.  The Guide-bot can be a bit derpy at times, but I seem to remember a decent way to correct that being recalling it to your ship, flying a bit away from where you were, then releasing it again.  I know you can at least get a look at the level objectives, if not the entire briefing...I think you access it by hitting Shift+Tab, maybe, whereas hitting Tab by itself just brings up the automap.  I seem to be a bit in the minority, but I enjoyed D3's more varied objective-based gameplay more than the endless keys->reactor->exit loop of the earlier two games.  I will agree that D3's scaling never felt quite right, since I think in terms of raw speed the Pyro-GL and Phoenix are at least faster than D2's Pyro-GX.  The rest of your issues sound like the result of running the game on modern hardware/OS.  If only the community had the damn source code to play around with...

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Personally I always found D3's automap to be waaaayyyy more readable than that of D1/2.  Being able to use normal ship controls to maneuver around it was a godsend, and I always had a hell of a time figuring out exactly which wall belonged to which room in the old wireframe model, especially in levels with more complex overlapping geometry.  I thought there was at least some sort of marker that appeared on the map, but it's been a very long time so I could be wrong.  The Guide-bot can be a bit derpy at times, but I seem to remember a decent way to correct that being recalling it to your ship, flying a bit away from where you were, then releasing it again.  I know you can at least get a look at the level objectives, if not the entire briefing...I think you access it by hitting Shift+Tab, maybe, whereas hitting Tab by itself just brings up the automap.  I seem to be a bit in the minority, but I enjoyed D3's more varied objective-based gameplay more than the endless keys->reactor->exit loop of the earlier two games.  I will agree that D3's scaling never felt quite right, since I think in terms of raw speed the Pyro-GL and Phoenix are at least faster than D2's Pyro-GX.  The rest of your issues sound like the result of running the game on modern hardware/OS.  If only the community had the damn source code to play around with...
Ha, I played the first two with source ports so I never had problems with map controls.
I was really miffed that I couldn't look up on the map where to go and needed to follow the guidebot, the objectives were a good idea but they made them a bit too obtuse at times.
I completely forgot about the shift-tab combination, that's what happens when you get back to the game after a few months I guess (but then again some of the briefings were a bit too vague in the first place).
I'll probably get back to Mercenary after finishing with Overload, seeing a couple of glaring spelling mistakes in the first mission brifings kinda turned me off.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 10:43:59 am by Det. Bullock »

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Mercenary had some really cool design ideas, and most of the levels were huge.  I think by that point Outrage had really figured out how much they could do with their engine.

Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright

I've been stuck on one mission for MONTHS now, because I couldn't find the time to really buckle down and grind through it. The Nohrian army was just too big, their formations too complementary for me to crack without losses. But I finally did it. I got through the first phase, and the pair of super-strong retainers at the gate. Then I realized there was a second phase with a lot more really strong dudes and a boss at the end.

But there was some environmental hazard stuff I could do to soften 'em up, and it worked great! My dudes are cutting though the berserkers and knights like butter. I moved Silas to bait out literally one of the last enemies, a berserker. I did the math, Silas was 100% safe from death, and he'd get a good bit of exp from the fight. So this berserker just saunters up, and on a 3% chance, criticals Silas. He down, he's out of this fight and all the others; for story reasons, he's "retreated" but he's basically dead.

So now, do I restart the whole mission, again, to save Silas? Usually, yes. But I never really liked that guy anyway.

Online Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I say do it again but scum save.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

I say do it again but scum save.

I would, but for some reason I also play on "Classic" mode, which prohibits mid-mission saving, or I absolutely would do that by now.

Offline 0rph3u5

Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright

*cut for time*

Which one is Birthright again?

Because in the Nohr and the Combined campaigns you really don't need to have Silas hanging around (you get at least 2 more Knights/Paladins anyway) and in the Hoshido campaign you get the option to make up for the lack of actual cavalary by upgrading all your Pegasus Knight with Bows (and Nohr armies only having a basic archer in their Bandit, as opposed to the Hoshido dedicated Archers)

==================

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Got BSG: Deadlock. Fun fun fun. Though I suck terribly at playing Cylon.

Which one is Birthright again?

It's the Hoshido campaign. And it was more a point of pride that I always try to keep EVERYONE alive and it happened SO close to the end of the mission. So of course I didn't *need* him to survive, it was just silly :)