Author Topic: What are you playing right now?  (Read 612162 times)

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
Re: What are you playing right now?
Currently playing Stellaris (custom GTA empire).

What's your set-up?

Modded run (something like 50 mods lol). Among them are more ethics(?). GTA's a Military Commissariat with the following:

Ethics:
-Fanatic Egalitarian, Militarist, Individualist, Xenophile.

Civics:
-Efficient Beaurocracy,  Labour Unions, Trade League. Could probably swap out Labour Unions for the Distinguished Admiralty one, but I wanted to change it up this time.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Started playing A Link Between Worlds after finally finishing up a long-interrupted SNES Classic replay of A Link to the Past.  It's been a long time since I've had a completely-fresh Zelda experience, and as always it's a blast.  Now to get myself into the all-consuming timesink that is Breath of the Wild...

Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel.  It has 3 hubs and I am on the 3rd one.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
*cut for time*

It's an optimist I see - always nice to just how evil I have to make the GTVA appear to be.

Meanwhile, in Pillars of Eternity 2:

I hit the point, approaching the level cap of 20, when combat really becomes a chore, like in every cRPG - granted it's doable with a Cypher character who can spam paralysis, but that's hardly what I am here for.

Storywise, it will not suprise you that I am also at the point of no return in the main story and now going through the DLC stuff; once that it done I am going to tackle the finale without support of the powers that be because ... reasons (This Watcher has neither Gods nor Masters.)

I kinda miss the melancholy of the first Pillars a bit, I have to say.

Spoiler:
Taking Xoti along for the parley with Eothas was all kinds of fun.

Same goes for having Vatnir around during your encounter with the Rymrgand in the White Void.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 05:13:36 pm by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Pillars of Eternity (PC)
I finished White March part I. Is the dwarf researcher quest part of that or the second part? I’ve yet to rest outside the the White March to trigger the main quest of the second expansion so finding a new quest in town was rather curious.
I have found a couple of soul-bound weapons, a hunter bow for Sagani and a Greatsword for Pallegina, the latter was a bit of a pain to level as it required her to be resurrected five times during battle and noticed it only when I had already activated the forge, fortunately I had a few bounties in the Dyrwood. The monk at times is hilarious, so is the barbarian trying to flirt with Pallegina, the Devil of Caroc is a bit unsettling while useful thanks to her high mechanics skill.

Star Wars: The Old Republic (PC)
I decided to give another stab at this 'coz Star Wars (I tried it years ago and was throughly turned off). Of course I’ll ignore as much social content as possible and concentrate on story missions.
I notice that since last time they excised the overly long cutscenes with lots of stuff happening to people I don’t know at the start of the game in favour of a simple opening crawl.
Boy, the amount of tutorials that are on Tython, but the graphics look nice with the AA cranked up.
I still find the controls awkward (I wonder how companions are supposed to work with this system since it seems you’ll have a party for story missions at a certain point) and it’s a pity the spaceship part doesn’t support any kind of controller, because that was something I could potentially be interested in.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Tychon is indeed, loooooooooooong, but I like the long cutscenes.  They're proper starwars goodness.  Hail the starforge.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Tychon is indeed, loooooooooooong, but I like the long cutscenes.  They're proper starwars goodness.  Hail the starforge.

It's more that it was like some sort of endless trailer before the game, most of the time I wasn't even sure what was going on there, just a bunch of people doing badass things with little to no context. In hindsight I think they were just the intros for the various subplots mashed together. I'm kind of glad they took it out.
The tutorials themselves aren't bad, it's just that the way the game is explained in the slides is often a bit confusing, they seem to assume you know at least a bit of MMO lingo and sometimes I'm not even sure what they talk about. Hell, the way to equip stuff is also superweird, what happened to dragging and dropping stuff on a paper doll?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 07:31:37 pm by Det. Bullock »
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
A Link Between Worlds is a fascinating Zelda title.  Breath of the Wild aside, it's probably the most non-linear game in the series since the original NES classic.  Unlike almost every other entry in the series, you don't get most of your key items from dungeons, but instead can rent them near the start of the game from a vendor (who's actually squatting in your house).  This means that you can take on most of the dungeons in any order you like, since you have the items needed for them from the get-go.  For a series as steeped in tropes as Zelda is, it's fun to see them playing around with the basic gameplay loop.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Finally finished Pillars of Eternity (PC)
I only regret having been a bit too non-committal with Sagani since it seems that triggered her worst ending, other than that I seem to have fared pretty well. It is largely what Baldur’s Gate would look like with more story (which is quite a low bar considering) and less enphasis on pure dungeon crawling (though there is still plenty of it). I didn’t do all the bounties but did all the sidequests and expansions for a total od 101 hours and 16 minutes according to GOG Galaxy, it took me months to finish this, I’m sincerely not use I’m ready to play something this sprawling in the near future.

Offline 0rph3u5

I would recommend jumping into Pillars 2 right away, if you have it. The continuity can be staggering in some places, e.g. upon arriving in the Huana Capital (where all factions, except the Príncipi are based) Pallegina laid into my character for the choices made in the first game (to be fair, I got her kicked out of her Paladin Order). But the game feel much more engaging to play, in no small part because the Deadfire feels more like a vibrant and living setting - Granted, it was intentional that the setting of the first game feels more melancholy and oppressive, and I also liked that (the Story's pacing is just lopsided like hell).

The story of Pillars 2 also feels much less more engaging and free form, esspecially since the main quest lines for the Huana Throne, the Vallian Trading Company, the Royal Deadfire Company, and Príncipi tend to intersect meaningfully, shorting several branches of the story significantly. I am now at ca. 70 houres with 2 of 3 DLCs down and the game telling me that I should be outfitting the Iovara with all the best equipment for a journey with (possibly) no return in regards to the main quest - of course if you are going to do naval combat with every ship in the Deadfire or beat every challange boss you will be up for some time.

But maybe I might also be that I just enjoy "singing" along with the sea chanties during travel on the overworld map too much.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 07:00:11 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I would recommend jumping into Pillars 2 right away, if you have it. The continuity can be staggering in some places, e.g. upon arriving in the Huana Capital (where all factions, except the Príncipi are based) Pallegina laid into my character for the choices made in the first game (to be fair, I got her kicked out of her Paladin Order). But the game feel much more engaging to play, in no small part because the Deadfire feels more like a vibrant and living setting - Granted, it was intentional that the setting of the first game feels more melancholy and oppressive, and I also liked that (the Story's pacing is just lopsided like hell).

The story of Pillars 2 also feels much less more engaging and free form, esspecially since the main quest lines for the Huana Throne, the Vallian Trading Company, the Royal Deadfire Company, and Príncipi tend to intersect meaningfully, shorting several branches of the story significantly. I am now at ca. 70 houres with 2 of 3 DLCs down and the game telling me that I should be outfitting the Iovara with all the best equipment for a journey with (possibly) no return in regards to the main quest - of course if you are going to do naval combat with every ship in the Deadfire or beat every challange boss you will be up for some time.

But maybe I might also be that I just enjoy "singing" along with the sea chanties during travel on the overworld map too much.
I don't have it yet and lately money has been an issue, so even if I felt like starting another RPG again (which I don't, mostly because touristic season is starting so I'll probably be too busy anyway) it would have to wait.

Offline 0rph3u5

RPGs are like books, even the just good ones take care of themselves. But I get the whole time management aspect.

On that subject - Pillars 2 endgame scheudled for this weekend, that the first draft of the full Vega must burn-script is "out to the editor".

==================

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
Splitting my time with Division 2, which I have been deeply enjoying, and Dark Souls Remastered, which speaks for itself. Running a caster (mostly sorcery but some pyro atm) with a magic-infused claymore for melee (until I get my hands on that Moonlight Greatsword). Finished Blighttown, so now I'm noodling around in Darkroot to grab all the cool **** before I hit Sen's FunhouseTM.
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Finished Beyond Good and Evil (PC)
OK, who the hell thought that needing to hit the final boss a set number of times without taking damage was a good idea?
I had to look up why I kept beating the thing with a stick for ages without it dying, I thought I missed some puzzle clue or something.
I liked the rest of the game it but I'd have liked it more if it didn't have those weird quirks so many action games made for consoles have like weird camera angles, contextual controls and unskippable cutscenes (particularly charming with the final boss).

Also, those trailers for the sequel are nothing like this game, it's not just the art style, the game is a very kid friendly and rather charming affair and I distinctly remember some swearing there.

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
Did you know that single-player games are apparently only for children?

It's true--a guy on discord said so.
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam

wat

That's him! That's the guy who slept with my mom!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Resident evil disagrees with him.  (Original resident evil on PS1)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Finished up A Link Between Worlds. I enjoyed seeing the classic Link to the Past overworld portrayed in 3D, with a lot of secret areas in the same old places, and Lorule was a fun remix of the original's Dark World.  I'm surprised i was never spoiled on the little twist during the ending, even having used a few of the game's characters in Hyrule Warriors. Fun game, great conclusion, and now only Breath of the Wild remains.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Won't be playing it for over a year, but the Firmament Kickstarter just hit its goal.  The Myst series practically defined my childhood gaming, and Cyan's most recent new venture Obduction was fantastic, so I'm looking forward to more of the same. Still a bit over a day to jump in if it's up your alley.