Author Topic: What are you playing right now?  (Read 612091 times)

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Re: What are you playing right now?
Started playing Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead, a top down rogue-like set in an apocalyptic near future. Which apocalypse you ask? All of them. Zombies, lovecraftian horrors, aliens, rampant cyborgs etc. It's got a steep learning curve, but it's got a huge amount of depth and complexity to it, all within procedurally generated worlds that truly feel undead.

You can craft, build constructions, make vehicles from simple carts to mobile death fortresses. It's awesome.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Rebel Galaxy (PC) is more addicting than I could imagine, it has that simple Privateer gameplay loop with a few more things added in that make it more varied and the broadside "space is an ocean" combat is plenty of good fun.
I sincerely can't wait for Rebel Galaxy Outlaw to see this loop in a more classic spacesim experience.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
Lots of World of Tanks, competitive multiplayer fun and really hits a sweet spot for me, my fascination with WWII armored warfare.  ;) Debatably greedy megacompany with absurdly overpriced content bundles, but hey.  :lol:

Also Mothergunship! Highly recommended, just go into it with the right expectations. Marketing is subtly misleading to the effect that you'll be entering a sandbox gun-crafting fest, when in fact the main campaign (sandbox and endless modes notwithstanding) is a challenging rougelike grind, rather than planning massive epic weapons you're mostly scraping by and throwing together workable weapon combos, but still lots of bullet-hell high-mobility action with a preposterous, thigh slappingly-outrageous plot. Very silly and clean humour as far as I've gotten!  :nod:

Offline Strygon

• So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    • Steam
Lots and lots of Smash Melee. But it's the 20XX edition

I main Fox
Makes missions sometimes.
Finished Projects: Operation: Cloak and Dagger

Current Projects: Scrolls Part 2 (FREDding), Dimensional Eclipse (Art),
The First Contact War, GTDr Amazon HTL

[23:22] strypolygon: andrew
[23:22] strypolygon: i have one favor to ask of you
[23:22] strypolygon: never try speaking german again
[23:23] Andrewofdoom: No.

[18:50] 島風改八百三: the duck has multipli
[18:50] 島風改八百三: many duck
[18:50] 島風改八百三: left side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: even side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: handle it

[21:34] MP-Ryan: Why on earth would you Google this
[21:34] The_E: why would you not

[06:46] Strigon: how big is a mini-campaign again?
[06:46] Asteroth: smaller than a campaign
[06:47 ]Strigon: thanks

[05:56] Strigon: If I had to take a shot for each time I randomly decided to change the UI sounds, I'd have died of alcohol poisoning by now

[17:36] qazwsxal: time to have some fun
[17:41] z64555: VC++5 is not my idea of fun

[EatThePath] do your missiles do anything absurd?
[Strigon] describe absurd
[Strigon] the entire mod is absurd

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
Lots and lots of Smash Melee. But it's the 20XX edition

I main Fox

noice  :nod:

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Show me your moves!!
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
*spams character select*

FAHKS FAHKS FAHKS FAHKS FAHKS!

Ah, memories...

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
 :lol: :lol: :lol:
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I finished the main story of Rebel Galaxy.
It was a nice experience, basically Privateer on a 2D plane with some quality of life improvements.
What drags it down a bit is that it does become a bit repetitive, in the end I played the last missions of the story without being fully upgraded because getting a dreadnought already took quite some time and a single MK6 turret costed as much as a medium sized ship, and the dreadnought in question could carry about a dozen of them, four more than the destroyer I had before. And keep in mind I didn’t even grind for the bigger ones since even when half-equipped the one I had was more than enough to deal with everything. Also there is a lack of flavour text that is very strange for this kind of spacesim, almost like there was supposed to be a manual in which to read about the various alien races that ended up never being made. It doesn’t help that a lot of it seems procedural which doesn’t make for a varied experience.
Other than that the stuff that happens when you go about your business is often enough to spice things up and the game looks very pretty, there is undoubtedly some potential here and I wonder if and how that potential will pan out with Rebel Galaxy Outlaw.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I restarted Overload (PC) because I missed a lot of upgrade points and you don't want to lose any, believe me.
And some of the upgrade points are rather sadistically placed like basically right under the reactor you have to overload ina room full of respaning bots, often inaccessible until the countdown starts.
But boy is it satisfying when you finally clear the level and see you got all of them things plus a few additional ones from secret levels and survivor rescuing (the end screen only counts the ones that are physically in the level you've finished, not the bonus ones).
Though even now I'm questioning whether choosing the "hotshot" difficulty was wise, contrary to what I could surmise difficulty hasn't changed much since the first two Descent games, fortunately you can bind the quicksave button to you HOTAS or gamepad and believe me you'll need it (also there is the option to start the level from scratch and change difficulty level when you die).

I also installed Darkstar One (PC) and started to configure my HOTAS for it and of course you need to use the mouse because for some reason the game went for a mouse driven target list instead of normal target keys, at least there are a few shortcuts for the nearest enemy and such. I could probably use the analog stick on the throttle for the mouse cursor but for now I'll keep it as rudder controls. But sincerely: what were they thinking? The game doesn't seem to pause whent he target list is active and if some poor sap is flying with a mouse he's basically a sitting duck when they are using it. Apart from that for now it seems to be a nice enough Privateer clone and for once it's a game that is recent enough to support high resolutions out of the box.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Decided to install Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds on a whim.  This game was my jam as a kid.  It's essentially a reskin of Age of Empires II, so you get the mechanics of one of the best RTS titles of all time overlaid with all kinds of Star Wars goodness.  Fun stuff.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I restarted Overload (PC) because I missed a lot of upgrade points and you don't want to lose any, believe me.
And some of the upgrade points are rather sadistically placed like basically right under the reactor you have to overload ina room full of respaning bots, often inaccessible until the countdown starts.
But boy is it satisfying when you finally clear the level and see you got all of them things plus a few additional ones from secret levels and survivor rescuing (the end screen only counts the ones that are physically in the level you've finished, not the bonus ones).
Though even now I'm questioning whether choosing the "hotshot" difficulty was wise, contrary to what I could surmise difficulty hasn't changed much since the first two Descent games, fortunately you can bind the quicksave button to you HOTAS or gamepad and believe me you'll need it (also there is the option to start the level from scratch and change difficulty level when you die).

I found the the difficulty fairly moderate on hotshot (was thinking I should have set it higher) until the alien levels, which are dramatically harder. The enemies are all upgraded and do much more damage, and at the same time there are very few shield powerups compared to before. I got around 80% of the upgrades throughout the game, and had upgraded all the stuff I cared about.

Has anyone played the DLC pack? I was thinking of trying it on my new monitor (4k TV) but heard it wasn't as good as the main campaign.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
AM2R 1.4 (PC)
Gameplay has been brought up to standards but the map while tweaked is still recognizably Metroid 2.

I found the the difficulty fairly moderate on hotshot (was thinking I should have set it higher) until the alien levels, which are dramatically harder. The enemies are all upgraded and do much more damage, and at the same time there are very few shield powerups compared to before. I got around 80% of the upgrades throughout the game, and had upgraded all the stuff I cared about.

Has anyone played the DLC pack? I was thinking of trying it on my new monitor (4k TV) but heard it wasn't as good as the main campaign.
I think I got most of the upgrade points but the game doesn't let you use the ones you still have when you finish the last normal level, and yes the alien levels are much harder, I've repeated the last one thre or four times because of that countdown that doesn't let you at least stop and pick at the auto-ops one at a time, I managed to get trough only because I've stumbled on a hidden cloaking power up.
I'm not very good at dodging because of terminal lack of reflexes, and since in Hotshot when you get hit in the second half of the campaign (let's just say from around the second boss onwards) you get hit hard it's a bit of a problem for me.   :nervous:

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
FreeSpace Blue
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Lost Alpha 1.4007
BroForce
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
It is the end of the year. So i have time for more than one or two games finally, that are in queue for a few years already.

Critical Depth - for my YouTube Channel (well, i am playing through this for at least half 2018 already)
Inferno: The Odyssey Continues - for my YouTube Channel
Anomaly: Warzone Earth
Way of the Samurai 3
Metro: Last Light
Darksiders III
Prey: Mooncrash
StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm

Im interested how many of them can i complete within the next week on their highest difficulty  :D. Have enough time i think, because my husband sticks in front of TV due to the 2019 World Darts Championship anyway :lol:
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I think star craft 2 might take up a lot of that time on highest.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Strygon

• So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    • Steam
Arma 3, messing around with Zeus mode and stuff

DCS World to tickle that air combat fancy
Makes missions sometimes.
Finished Projects: Operation: Cloak and Dagger

Current Projects: Scrolls Part 2 (FREDding), Dimensional Eclipse (Art),
The First Contact War, GTDr Amazon HTL

[23:22] strypolygon: andrew
[23:22] strypolygon: i have one favor to ask of you
[23:22] strypolygon: never try speaking german again
[23:23] Andrewofdoom: No.

[18:50] 島風改八百三: the duck has multipli
[18:50] 島風改八百三: many duck
[18:50] 島風改八百三: left side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: even side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: handle it

[21:34] MP-Ryan: Why on earth would you Google this
[21:34] The_E: why would you not

[06:46] Strigon: how big is a mini-campaign again?
[06:46] Asteroth: smaller than a campaign
[06:47 ]Strigon: thanks

[05:56] Strigon: If I had to take a shot for each time I randomly decided to change the UI sounds, I'd have died of alcohol poisoning by now

[17:36] qazwsxal: time to have some fun
[17:41] z64555: VC++5 is not my idea of fun

[EatThePath] do your missiles do anything absurd?
[Strigon] describe absurd
[Strigon] the entire mod is absurd

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I've been playing a lot of Pathfinder: Kingmaker recently, as I tore a muscle in my right shoulder last week (which limited painfree movement of the neck and right arm significantly; so no fast paced game for me)

It's a nice Baldur's Gate II epigone, does a better job at it than Pillars of Eternity 1* but doesn't rise to the hights of Tyranny.

*Pathfinder is less original in terms of scenario but the characters of the story are way more paletable.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic (PC)
Yes, I'm replaying it again.
This time as a magithief with defensive magic, max mana pool but using bows and knives for offense, I still have to unlock Sanctuary though probably because it would be a bit OP before the last levels.
God, I love this game, even the b-movie power fantasy plot with choose-your-romance subplot (not really a choice for me, Xana is a bit too much of an asshole and evil powers are kinda useless compared to blessed weapons) fits incredibly well with all the slicing and burning and freezing and stabbing. It's still a bit glitchy for a Source game, but that both this and Vampire are not made by Valve themselves might have something to do with it even if this wasn't as screwed over as Troika's effort.

Back into War Thunder again. Strangely enough, I haven't touched world of tanks in years (2015 I think??) and Warships lost its luster over this year (been playing seen beta). And yet, 6 years on, I'm still casually logging in for some realistic war thunder battles.

If there is one thing I have come to realize about these kinds of games it's that grinding is terrible and should never be the reason to play. Just need to have a selection of vehicles that you like and mechanics that are enjoyable.