Author Topic: Forum game: Rules/Discussion  (Read 165342 times)

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Re: Forum game: Rules/Discussion
My preference would be to end now and skip to the big victory video (to me the fun is overcoming the odds, not micro'ing my way through stomping the opponent into the ground :))  (and plz2request seeing the 2nd UGCR assist with finishing off the Flag Fleet)

And Spoon - thank you very much for running this game and devoting countless hours over the last 8-9 months on it. It's been a helluva lotta fun  :nod: :yes:
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Vid up, though the first upload attempt went poorly because of youtube blocking the video because of an automated bandai copyright claim on the music.
Copyright nonsense is one of the worse things!

My preference would be to end now and skip to the big victory video (to me the fun is overcoming the odds, not micro'ing my way through stomping the opponent into the ground :))  (and plz2request seeing the 2nd UGCR assist with finishing off the Flag Fleet)
Yeah that's what I was thinking. It's like the end of a 4x game, when you've already won but its just a matter of mudane system capturing to end the game. Never too much fun.
And unless requested otherwise, I'll get every fleet in the video fighting the Flag fleet!

Unless Spoon is willing to continue the game into new territory, since that our victory's a foregone conclusion now, I'd rather just wrap things up right here with a big video finale.  :cool:

Can the 4th CRF at least share in the final destruction of the Special Fleet, hammering away with all its firepower despite its ships coming apart at the seams under the wrath of enemy subspace weapons, and maybe take part in a victory cruise over Earth?
Absolutely.

I'm in two minds over this. On the one hand I do want a really cool final victory video, but on the other hand I want to explore beyond the edges of the map! Can we have both? :P
Maybe we can! But I'll need a bit of time to work the edge exploring thing out.

And Spoon - thank you very much for running this game and devoting countless hours over the last 8-9 months on it. It's been a helluva lotta fun  :nod: :yes:
And, yeah, major props to Spoon for setting this all up! It's been fun. :D
ADDENDUM: I think it's also appropriate at this point to say a massive thanks to Spoon for setting all this up! It's been a blast! :D
Your forum game has made me very, very happy. I love it. I wouldn't put so much into it if I didn't.
D'aaaw you guys spoil me  :D
I'm glad you guys had fun with this! (Even with my repeated failure of meeting deadlines and the pace crawling down from once a week to like 2-3 weeks a turn!)
It has been super cool reading all the neat RP posts and seeing you guys being so involved with this!

It has been my desire since a very few turns into the game.

*vid*
I fully expected him to say "Put the guns on!"
But man, as much as I like Date for being a crazy badass, the Date clan have been big meanies to me in the last shogun 2 campaign I played   :p
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Lorric

Spoon, you could always create the missing turn videos in the meanwhile while you think of how to set things up.

How about this for a turn end video:

First we see the battered remnants of the special fleet surrendering, surrounded by our forces.

Then we see Aldebaran, every fleet, including the 1st Fura'ngle, who turn on their former masters, destroy the Hertak Fleet. Or maybe we could even capture the Flagship! I quite like that idea, the 1st Fura'ngle showed up VERY early in the game. And they get to survive. There'd be some potential storyline basis there, maybe they could have a roll in setting us on our path into Hierarchy space. They wouldn't actually have to fight in the new campaign.

I'm sure you wouldn't want us to have the Hertak Flagship for the campaign, so you could say it would take years for it to be ready to fight. Or simply destroy the Flagship for the immense explosion. I think I'd prefer the explosion.

Put Lorric right in the thickest fighting please. I was looking forward to engaging the Hertak.

The rest of us can probably create some RP work in the interim as well.

Bask in the glow, Spoon. You've earned it. And I am very much looking forward to what's coming next. Shall we go and save those smug Cyrvans? Or is it on to Hierarchy space?

Now, to see what you've cooked up in the turn vid...

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
Thank you Spoon!

I would definitely not mind continuing the game in Hierarchy Space and actually being the aggressor for once, but this is your show. Relax, let the revs drop, do something else, have some time to see if you are still up to babysitting us through our admiral fantasies and then, if you still wish to, we can go for forum game mk. 2 (perhaps with slightly modified / rebalanced rules, even?)

Until then, rock on. :yes:
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
This was indeed a fantastic little experience; it makes me feel like someone should create a WoD turn-based 4X game. ;)
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Lorric

Not too sure what's going on, but I've taken my turn too. If there's to be a turn, we should capture the Special Fleet and deal with the 1st Fura'ngle.

Run away, Enioch! :D

Offline Flak

ATATATATATATATATATA

Did I just solo killed the Nordera? I am glad they just tried to kamikaze at empty space.

If you capture the Special Fleet, I guess they will be singing All Hail Britannia down there.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 01:20:46 am by Flak »

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ

Thank you Spoon!

I would definitely not mind continuing the game in Hierarchy Space and actually being the aggressor for once, but this is your show. Relax, let the revs drop, do something else, have some time to see if you are still up to babysitting us through our admiral fantasies and then, if you still wish to, we can go for forum game mk. 2 (perhaps with slightly modified / rebalanced rules, even?)

Until then, rock on. :yes:
Yeah, definitely a good opportunity to do some revising on the rules.
Did I ever mention that your line in the spreadsheet "C) Check the results and feel thankful." never failed to make me smile?  :p
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Lorric

Funnily enough I find it much faster to use a calculator to calculate the values than Enioch's spreadsheet, even the improved one he provided. Though perhaps if we have a reboot of the game, a simpler combat system can be used to help you (and me! :) ) move along the combat calculations faster.

I have a quick question: If Droid's fleet had been destroyed, would he have respawned at Sol, his initial spawn point, or not at all?

Offline Lorric

Fleet: 1st CRF
First Action: Major, Attack Special Fleet
Second Action: Minor, Demoralise Special Fleet into surrender/Capture Special Fleet
Fleet: third CRF.
major action: attack specal fleet, allowing no surrender or survivors(firing on escape pods/surrendered ships)
Minor action: none.
I think we've got a problem...

What happened to honour and chivalry and all that, the hallmarks of the CRF?

While I would like the Special Fleet to be captured, it does present some intriguing RP and turn video possibilities if this savagery goes ahead...

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Nyahaha. Well, the way that's set up, I think they could surrender/be captured if they survive to the second action!
That's an if.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Flak

I think it will become like the Hesperia incident in Blue Planet (spoilers, sorry)

Offline Veers

Don't make me pull rank...  :lol:
Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline Lorric

Don't make me pull rank...  :lol:
:lol:

The plot thickens... I forgot he missed a promotion! :D

Show your underling his place. ;)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I've decided to go with the victory video ending, so there won't be a next turn.
I'm still playing with a bunch of different ideas in my head for a second game, invading hierarchy space, so stay tuned.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
Oh my! Will we see new technologies and ships for both sides?
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline Lorric

I've decided to go with the victory video ending, so there won't be a next turn.
I'm still playing with a bunch of different ideas in my head for a second game, invading hierarchy space, so stay tuned.
Oooooh. Most exciting!

If you get stuck on more than one potential scenario, you could have us vote on one.

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
If you're so willing, I'd really like it if you'd at least reference the forum game's characters and events in the WoD remake. Even if you're not inclined to draw characters who aren't cute girls (though I'd personally be fine with seeing a Carla Santiago  :) ), you could at least namedrop, say, the 2nd CRF fighting in the Aldebaran Meat Grinder, or the  3rd DD's political brouhaha with the Home Guard fleet's commander. Just a suggestion, but I think it'd be a cool tribute to the forum game and our brave admirals. :)
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
Seconded. I'd love to see some recognition for the people who fought in the meat grinders. And for Kalazonitov, but he's my character, so I'm biased.
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Offline Lorric

The Legendary Bug Busters of the 2nd CRF...

There was even a parade in their honour...