Author Topic: Looking for a D&D game  (Read 2431 times)

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Looking for a D&D game
I'm looking for a turn-based D&D game similar to Temple of Elemental Evil. Any recommendations?
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Looking for a D&D game
What about the old Neverwinter Nights games? (They're not, strictly speaking, turn based though)
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Icewind Dale and its sequel are pretty good ones, too.  Though, once again, not strictly speaking turn-based.

Offline Sarkoth

• Ser Campaign-listador
If you're saying Icewind Dale, you also must say Baldur's Gate. (both can be enhanced with a widescreenmod and ui mods that make these games look really nice even nowadays).

But if I'm saying Baldur's Gate, I would also have to say Planescape Torment. Especially, to be precise. Though not D&D itself, it is D&D derided and shares a huge amount of similarities. And it's also debatedly one of the best role playing games ever made. Period.
Only the one passed trough darkness obtains the right to ask for light

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
it is D&D derived
Fixed that for you.

And technically, those Infinity Engine games are turn-based; the turns just proceed automatically. ;)

IIRC, you can actually tell the game to pause at the end of every turn, making it effectively turn-based.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
It might not be what you're looking for but you might want to check out roguelike games (classic roguelikes, I mean - a lot of games like FTL, Rogue Legacy etc have blurred the distinctions somewhat).

Brogue, a fairly learnable roguelike compared to some others, but it retains the ASCII graphics and complexity that are a common staple of roguelikes.

ADOM/Ancient Domains of Mystery, I haven't played this one but I've heard it's good! (IronBeer's let's play)

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, a very deep and complex but fair roguelike with TONS of starting classes. Haven't really gotten into it, but it's good!

NetHack, my favorite roguelike and a direct descendant of Rogue, the original game that started it all. It's one of the most popular roguelikes but it can be fairly criticized for being somewhat luck-based in ways that are hard for players to mitigate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roguelike

if you get really into them, prepare for a MASSIVE time sink... ;7

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Thanks for the replies.

What I was looking for exactly was something that approached the D&D experience as closely as possible on a computer, since it's basically impossible for me to find people interested in actually playing D&D in real life.

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

but the human interaction is an absolutely vital component to 'the d&d experience', you're not going to recreate it with a computer
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Hence as closely as possible.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I think PhantomHoover's point is that without other humans the "as closely is possible" is still the difference between playing a game of football in real life and telling a person on the sofa next to you how to play FIFA 2014. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Cuz the mechanics and the story don't matter at all, right?  Clearly, Planescape: Torment is an awful example of a D&D game because it's single player.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
No, cause in terms of player agency the comparison is valid.

I really loved Baldur's Gate (I hated the sequel but that's a whole different issue). I loved Icewind Dale too. And Planescape Torment is probably the next game I'll get from GOG. But none of that changes the fact that until such a time as we get AI, no computer game can't possibly compare with a human run role playing game. A computer can only have your character do whatever the programmer thought they might do. A pen and paper RPG can have your character do anything you can think of.

Taken as computer games, the games mentioned are great. Taken as an attempt to satisfy a desire to play D&D though, the comparison I made is quite fair.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 01:30:50 am by karajorma »

No kidding. No cRPG can make actions have consequences in the manner a P&P RPG with a smart DM can.
That being said, I am quite sure that there's quite a few people here that would be interested in D&D sessions. Heck, I have only just learned that a website like roll20.net exists, it shouldn't be that hard to find a group.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
I think PhantomHoover's point is that without other humans the "as closely is possible" is still the difference between playing a game of football in real life and telling a person on the sofa next to you how to play FIFA 2014. :p

And if I really liked football and couldn't find other people to play football with, I might as well play FIFA 2014.

I realize the storyline will be heavily scripted when compared to a human DM and there are a bunch of decisions that are not possible without NetHack's dev team level of paranoia, but I still want to play the FIFA 2014 equivalent of D&D.

Basically anything with the Bioware logo slapped on it.

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
When I saw your thread title it sounded like you were petitioning Hard Light for an online D&D group.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
And if I really liked football and couldn't find other people to play football with, I might as well play FIFA 2014.

I realize the storyline will be heavily scripted when compared to a human DM and there are a bunch of decisions that are not possible without NetHack's dev team level of paranoia, but I still want to play the FIFA 2014 equivalent of D&D.

Oh I understand that. But maybe you can also try to find some people to play online with you instead/as well. :)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Until a computer can argue over whether you had to roll under or over the value to pass a test, gets gradually pissed as the game progresses and can sell me cheap imported tobacco, it won't come close to my D&D experiences ;)