Author Topic: Descent on Steam!  (Read 29242 times)

Offline Nakura

• Zombie Heinlein
    • Rebecca Chambers Fan Club
Descent is now on Steam!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/273570/

Now it's only a matter of time before Descent 3 and FreeSpace 1 & 2 come to Steam!

And?

You can already get this stuff DRM-free off GOG, why would you want it in a steam client?

It's cheaper on GOG as well. 9.99 for two games instead of 6.99 for one.

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
Steam fails.
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
That said, Steam seems to have a chance of reaching much broader audience than GOG. If D3 was released on Steam, it would probably liven up it's modding scene somewhat (last time I checked, it wasn't very active).

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Awesome. Fingers crossed for a FreeSpace release on Steam...assuming we can get rid of our long filepath problem...

Offline Lorric

Also, if these games came to Steam, it's another thing that could hit the sales and generate some buys.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
You can already get this stuff DRM-free off GOG, why would you want it in a steam client?

Assuming tge "you" in this equation can be applied to HLP instead of just the end user, then the answer is simple: the vastly, incomparably greater user base associated with Steam vs GoG, that's why.

Imagine the sheer number of people that must download a given game (especially an old (i.e. Cheap) game with the kind if reputation FS2 has) off Steam, especially when there's a decent sale on. It's not unrealistic to expect Steam sales could overtake all other types of FS2 since launched combined, given the likely price and reach Steam offers. If half of those downloaders install FSO, and even a few percent of them decide to join HLP as modders, imagine the boost that would give the community! Getting on Steam is the best possible thing that could,happen to FS2 at this point, and given that Interplay now own the exclusive rights, any indication of Interplay working with Steam is a good sign for exactly that happening.

Descent was always a much bigger franchise than Freespace, so it makes sense that they would start there. Lets just hope they don't also decide to stop there.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Much as I personally hate Steam, I think it would be good for the community to have the game available on there. I'd still want to push GOG as the best place to get it though.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Why have the game available in two places when we could just have it available one place and act smug about it?
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Nakura

• Zombie Heinlein
Why have the game available in two places when we could just have it available one place and act smug about it?

It's silly, since it's not as though it was removed from GOG or anything. I use both GOG and Steam on a regular basis, but I don't think anyone can kid themselves into thinking that GOG has a vastly larger base than Steam.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 09:28:51 am by Nakura »

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
If FreeSpace lands on Steam, most of the projects run through HLP could be added to Steamworks as well, further promoting them as people will be likely to grab at least the graphical updates immediately after buying the base game.

That's nothing but good for this community.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Nakura

• Zombie Heinlein
If FreeSpace lands on Steam, most of the projects run through HLP could be added to Steamworks as well, further promoting them as people will be likely to grab at least the graphical updates immediately after buying the base game.

That's nothing but good for this community.

Looks like it's going to happen, as they have an official community page set-up: http://steamcommunity.com/app/41610

Given that they are taking a while to release it (just like they did with D1), that hopefully means we can see some great Steam features (Steamworks, Steam in-game, achievements, trading cards, etc.) and possibly better optimization and/or multiplayer

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Given that they are taking a while to release it (just like they did with D1), that hopefully means we can see some great Steam features (Steamworks, Steam in-game, achievements, trading cards, etc.) and possibly better optimization and/or multiplayer

That is highly unlikely.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam

That is highly unlikely.

The bold part is especially unlikely.

Though they wouldn't have to do anything at all to get the overlay working, IIRC.

Steamworks might get added, and that's the most beneficial addition we could get to it.

Offline Lorric

Much as I personally hate Steam
Well, aren't you the unusual one.

May I ask why? I don't use Steam, but I may one day, and I've heard nothing but good things about it, people seem to love it. It would be interesting to hear some critique too.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Steam is great and having freespace on it would be fantastic
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I don't use Steam
Whoa. Hard to find people who don't use Steam these days. I've currently got 107 games on Steam, which consists by far most of my games.

It's not about quantity it's about quality. I consider GOG the superior service to steam because there's no DRM and no client. So to have a game put on Steam or Origin or wherever when it's already available on GOG to me is not much to celebrate whereas I would find the opposite more true.

But if Freespace being released on Steam would benefit the community here then I'd be all for it.

Much as I personally hate Steam
Well, aren't you the unusual one.

May I ask why? I don't use Steam, but I may one day, and I've heard nothing but good things about it, people seem to love it. It would be interesting to hear some critique too.

He's not the only one.
I hate Steam for one reason, because it's mandatory. Bought Half Life 2 back in the day and discovered it wasn't a full game but only a partially working game that I needed to download the rest from Steam to actually play. Then whenever I played I needed some Steam Client to be running to babysit me and make sure I wasn't a thief. Not only that but I couldn't resell the Half Life game on ebay or whatnot if I had wanted to.

PC's claim to fame over the consoles was that it was an open system. Steam is changing that, making it a closed system where an increasing number of games needs to be played through that platform instead of independent of it.

Not only that but Valve's focus on steam (and multiplayer games) has left their single-player games by the wayside.

I have Steam but avoid it unless it's the only place I can play a game (like the Civ 5 Humble Bundle I just bought)

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Personally I don't use Steam, but I've got no gripes against it. If FS was released on Steam it'd be a massive boost to us.

The link Nakura posted isn't working for me, is FreeSpace on Steam confirmed officially or is it just speculation?
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

InsaneBaron's Fun-to-Read Reviews!
Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon

Steam is very much one of the few reasons why PC gaming is still alive and well today. It is a closed and proprietary platform for sure, makes Valve a lot of cash. So much in fact that they have no need to keep developing games. We live in capitalistic world, but if you can get past that you have a central platform from which you can manage your games, their addons, DLC's and even mods. Steam keeps your games up-to-date and provides many services to help you connect with people, like multiplayer games or sharing stuff. It syncs saves to cloud, keeping them safe in case your HDD crashes or something.

Without Steam developers and publishers would need to design, develop and maintain their own solutions to provide these same services. With multitude of different solutions, your computer would be cluttered with them and their quality would be nowhere near Steam. Just look at UPlay, all of those solutions would be even worse than UPlay is. Origin is actually pretty decent and it even has money-back guarantee, something that Steam doesn't have (yet at least).

Basically PC gaming would still be in the ages where managing your games, their addons, DLC's, mods and even updates would still require a lot of manual labor, like FSO does (or used to depending on how you view the situation today). Compared to the consoles, the situation would be so bad PC gaming would have probably died off. So you can thank Valve and Steam for being one of the few reasons why PC gaming is still kicking today. Heck, Steam might even be the most important reason.

And last but not least, as far as I know Steam has been very friendly to indie developers. Steam provides the necessary support and publicity to indie developers to get noticed. PC indie game scene has definitely improved the same rate as Steam's indie support has.

I don't know about you, but I love how easy Steam makes managing my games. Sure Steam itself is DRM, but as far as DRM goes its really good at staying out of user's way. At least if your games are legit and you have solid internet connection.

As far as GOG goes, most of their games are old (well duh?) and thus have no need to stay up-to-date, support multiplayer services, manage addons, DLC's and mods. But assuming they did, then GOG would be out of luck without something like Steam. It would be unreasonable to expect people to visit their website, download game installer, install the game and then left to their own devices as to how to keep their games up-to-date, set up multiplayer games and manage all other relevant ****.

Comparing Steam to GOG is like comparing apples to oranges. It really is.

is FreeSpace on Steam confirmed officially or is it just speculation?
Complete speculation.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 01:30:09 pm by Fury »