Author Topic: SC Raguel WIP  (Read 27853 times)

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
I do not find the file Lilith_1.dds inside. And what about the AO bakes?
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
Since the a Lilith is a Freespace model you should probably look for its maps on the MediaVPS.
And you'll have to have a finished and UVmapped model in order to have AO bakes (since they are computed from the model's geometry). I don't want to be rude but you should take the time to look into our modelling tutorials to get the concepts right before trying to make your ship instead of asking everything to Betrayal. People around here are helpful but you have to do your part too. :)

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    • Twitter
I'm looking at the tutorials. In the meantime, I would like to say about its turrets. It has three frontal beam cannons. Anything I add?

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I see Bryan has some basic skills of modelling. I remember which polys are mine in case of Raguel, and details he added later suggests that he know what he do. More or less :P.

Bryan: Don't mind the textures right now. Finish the geometry, add details, and than You can think about mapping and texturing. Don't do anything with Bhaal or Lilith parts, because they are actually properly mapped and textured. Get the hammer... I mean insert faces or bevel, and finish the geometry first.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
I got it, Betrayal. Since the year 2000 I have a vast experience in modelling. I do not need to mind the textures, especially with the Bhaal or Lilith parts. I'm going to finish my geometry and adding my details.

I've updated the engines once more, this time, two hexagonal engines with spike-protruding nozzles that makes the cruiser not only stealthy (like Earthbound ships and aircraft), but also Shivan-like. The earlier iteration I felt, it's more Terran construction than Shivan.

As for the turrets, I've got three beam cannons on the Raguel's arms.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Pr0tip number 2: Don't change anything over and over again. Imagine a detail, rethink it, make it, and move along! I remember what happened to Sariel. I mean neverending process of making new incarnations. This way you will never finish your model. Finish detailing of the whole model, look at it again and if something looks like... Ehhh, bulls**t for you, remodel it.

Thinking - first. Modelling - next.

I actually liked previous engine tubes better, or shorten current ones.

As for turrets, you may copy them for some existing model if you don't have idea or you are too lazy [like me] for making yours, and later adjust them to textures. In case of beams, I know. I made them. Leave spinal beam cannons as they are now. Arms does not need any further changes.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
Are there any main body that I need to hammer out? I've made details on the bottom tail, the rear, and the frontmost rear.

EDIT: I'm so sorry about what happened to my Sariel. Don't worry, I'll get to work on it again after I finish my Raguel here.

I've updated my p3d again. Now I'm thinking about my engines for the Raguel before modelling it. The previous engines are merely a placeholder, and thus are not final.

EDIT #2: Any more ideas?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 01:20:16 pm by Bryan See »

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
Guess it's time for me to update my Raguel model. This time, the hexagonal engines make a direct comeback from what you've loved, albeit an improved one. Also, the fin, which is a unique addition originally present on the Sariel, has appeared as well. Both of them exhibit Shivan designs, as well as ones from the Ancients.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
I may be missing something here, is there's something special about my new thrusters and a underside fin? Are they spikey, conforming to Shivan looks?

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
Happy New Year, everyone! Today, I've made improvement changes to the Raguel mesh seen in the p3d view.

The changes included the aforementioned engines, the fin, and the spikes at the rear body's sides.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
That ship has a smiley face when viewed from the rear.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Meh... I planned to give it more than 2 engines to prevent that.

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
Indeed. I've made it more than 2 engines.

Man, it looks like a weirdly inconsistent trifocal symbol from the Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell series.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
In keeping with my nightmare-haunting creepy look, I've hammered out the bottom, the top-middle, the rear sides, and the front. The model is almost done. Now what's left is the bottom thrusters. Before I can get to UV-map it. Although I would like to reuse some of the maps from the SSD Bhaal, as there is one which is being used on the Bhaal as well.

What about the turrets? I think the turrets will be radically different than the 2011 model dump.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Little bug is getting filled with details. I like the direction it's heading into  :yes:

<and pssstt.. Check the normals on the arms ;)>

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Although I would like to reuse some of the maps from the SSD Bhaal, as there is one which is being used on the Bhaal as well.

I'd advise against that. UVmapping something to an existing texture made for something else very rarely looks good due to distortion/space inefficiency just to make the differeing geometry fit. It's much better to just UVmap it in a way that is space efficient and non-distored for the model itself, and then make it similar via texture...

Even if it is the exact same geometry (say, a turret), you should still copy the segment of the Bhaal's texture you want to use onto say, a corner the Raguel's own texture.

Don't make it reference the Bhaal's texture, because it'd force the game engine to load the Bhaal's texture AND the Raguel's texture every time the Raguel appers in a mission. The Bhaal's textures are high-resolution and large, and forcing the game to hold onto it in memory for only a small portion that will be used on the Raguel is just horribly wasteful of system resources, since over 90% of the texture held in memory would be wasted.

It'd also force any mod that wants to use the Raguel to also include the Bhaal's texture regardless of whether the Bhaal itself is used, which cause modpack bloat. The only way in which this cross-mapping would be acceptable (and actually more efficient) is if the Raguel always and only appears with the Bhaal in every mission, but even then it's horrible since you're limiting your design space, and that of everyone else that may wish to use your model.

Just don't do it.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Unless he bake new texture from Bhaal maps.

I used this method with Gania and she looks cool. I found this method better and time-saving rather than painting texture yourself... Unless you are FreeSpaceKing :P.
That's what I wanted to do with Raguel.

Unless he bake new texture from Bhaal maps.
(snip)
I used this method with Gania and she looks cool. I found this method better and time-saving rather than painting texture yourself... Unless you are FreeSpaceKing :P.
That's what I wanted to do with Raguel.

The Gania looks great. I can also see quite a few new Shivan models you've been keeping from us there! Here I am digging through old Inferno R1 models and seeing what can be salvaged..

As for the Raguel, it looks good though I would like to see the forward 'tentacles' be significantly larger, more imposing, more sturdy.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Gania is not mine. For now she belongs to my Inferno masters and unless they decide to release her, I have my hands tied up :P

As for the rest... I really don't. One cruiser and one destroyer - both tilemapped and low poly. I need to spend some time on them. I have one destroyer on workbench, but it's quite on early stage of development. I quess I will also take care of texturing the Raguel when I need it.

If you are looking for high quality shivan warships, check my Scylla :)

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
I've checked my Scylla, and looks great. The Gania is being made for Inferno, and replaces the Raguel. I think I should include this Scylla into the Shattered Stars mod, as with my Raguel, in addition to a standard Shivan vessel.

As for my Raguel, though, I've fixed the missing polys, and add details on the arms.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template