Author Topic: Descent Freespace on Steam - today (merged from Gaming)  (Read 21479 times)

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
Re: Descent Freespace on Steam - today (merged from Gaming)
all hail the tutta
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
He has the patience of an angel.
Cause as far as I can see it, the steam forum is a cesspool of idiots.

"I bought a game and it won't work, I'm being spoonfed an easy solution to get the game working but instead im going to be very angry, make a string of dumb posts and complain about 'needing third party tools' to get it working." and "Reading is for dorks, so I'm going to ignore all the topics already posted that may contain solutions to my problems and instead make yet an other topic about exactly the same **** that 20 people before me posted about." to "I want muh 5 dollar/euro refund"
How do these people even operate pc's I do not understand. If it takes more than a single press of the install button to make something work half of these dumbasses give up.

Point them here:  http://steamcommunity.com/app/273620/discussions/0/540742667961130598/

And/or here:  http://steamcommunity.com/app/273620/discussions/0/540743757475437859/
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Reading the Steam forum makes me want to nuke the place from orbit... it's the only way to be sure.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Reading the Steam forum makes me want to nuke the place from orbit... it's the only way to be sure.
I detected more than a hint of frustration in your posts; while I certainly understand your frustration, calling potential new users idiots is hardly going to endear them towards HLP.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Lorric

I was thinking the same thing. We can read the Steam forum. And they can and will read this one, since they're being directed to it, and since this thread is the Steam thread, I expect they'll read this thread...

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
I detected more than a hint of frustration in your posts; while I certainly understand your frustration, calling potential new users idiots is hardly going to endear them towards HLP.

I think you may have me confused with someone who did literally call them idiots...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
If it takes more than a single press of the install button to make something work half of these dumbasses give up.

I blame consoles, the anonymity of the internet and smartphones.

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Battuta's patience and ability to keep a positive light on things in the steam forum is remarkable.  He deserves a medal.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter

I think you may have me confused with someone who did literally call them idiots...
You didn't literally call them idiots, but "If you want to play the original in all its pixelated, antiquated glory, then by all means, decline FSO" is coming very close.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter

You didn't literally call them idiots, but "If you want to play the original in all its pixelated, antiquated glory, then by all means, decline FSO" is coming very close.

Errr... that was a genuine statement, no sarcasm implied.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Okay, clearly I'm just projecting my own frustration with the userbase there onto other people's statements. Sorry.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
In any case, the absolute last thing we as a community need is to be viewed as elitist assholes by the general Steam population.  I know there are frustrations here, and I feel them too, but if you must vent, do it somewhere like IRC.  Just...not in public.  Please.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Please, please, please keep the combativeness off the Steam forum. This is an outreach project. Follow my lead - don't engage in debate, just help and extol.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The sad part about all this is that the Steam release actually runs just fine for me personally (albeit with that text distortion issue that I think FSO fixed like eight years ago).  I'd gladly trade my experience with those who are having so much trouble, if that were possible.

Acknowledged General!
All beams, fire a supportive barrage at the General's ship! :)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Personally I don't care one bit to welcome people that are activately trying to slap away a helping hand. Or don't bother to read anything that might help them. That's why I'm steering around those forums with a very wide arc.
Because me snapping at them isn't going to help anyone  :p

Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
How could steam sell a broken game that's crazy. They couldn't get one person to test it first?

If it were only legal to sell FSO with that steam download it would solve so many problems.

I'll bet maybe 25% of the users having issues will actually get it to work.
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Battuta's patience and ability to keep a positive light on things in the steam forum is remarkable.  He deserves a medal.

Or at least a gold star.  Added.

Offline Lorric

It's nice to see fine work like that getting acknowledged. The star is deserved, and I like how they've been being handed out here and there in recent months, a few people are sporting the stars now for doing good work around here. It's such a small thing to give someone a gold star, and yet it must feel so good to get one.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I just installed Steam version of FS2 and it ran without any issues under Win 8.1 and retail executable. Then again, my Steam libraries are located at C:\Games\Steam and D:\Games\Steam so there weren't any path issues.