Author Topic: Descent Freespace on Steam - today (merged from Gaming)  (Read 21570 times)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: Descent Freespace on Steam - today (merged from Gaming)
I just installed Steam version of FS2 and it ran without any issues under Win 8.1 and retail executable. Then again, my Steam libraries are located at C:\Games\Steam and D:\Games\Steam so there weren't any path issues.
Did you have FS2 already installed? There are rumors going around that it's a registry problem, so if you already had a working FS2 install, you'd have registry entries from it.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
So it would appear. After I cleaned relevant registry entries and re-installed Steam version, I got same errors as had been reported by other users. Then I attempted to run Steam's freespace2.exe as an administrator, this didn't work either.

Again I deleted relevant registry entries and ran original retail freespace2.exe as an administrator to run setup. Then I launched Steam version of FS2, which said I had yet to run setup, I did and afterwards it launched fine. So it appears there is a difference in how original retail's and Steam's freespace2.exe's setup writes to registry.  And there are in fact some very slight visual and user interaction differences between the two.

Then I checked whether Launcher 5.5g or wxLauncher creates whatever is missing, and they do not.

So it appears fs2_open is the only way to get FS2 working in the Steam version, since I doubt these people have access to the original retail freespace2.exe. Cross-referencing the registry entries created by the two freespace2.exe's should find what is botching Steam install, but I doubt it is worth the trouble since fs2_open works anyway.

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
interesting, well at least this way everyone who wants to play the game has to know about fso, and a lot of people will get the installer and have all those mods presented to them, so there's that
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
I didn't want to necro by commenting on it directly, but since we have the new installer, should this thread be updated?  http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=61606.0 
I found a link to it from http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/12/22/reinstall-freespace-2/, so others may find it also.
Just a thought.   
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
So uh, for those of you who might not know.

Traffic for installer files is pretty insane right now (like 1-2TB a day), expect an influx of new users at some point in the future.

I am working fervently with the help of others to keep files available.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I didn't want to necro by commenting on it directly, but since we have the new installer, should this thread be updated?  http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=61606.0 
I found a link to it from http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/12/22/reinstall-freespace-2/, so others may find it also.
Just a thought.

Good catch.  Post edited.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class

Traffic for installer files is pretty insane right now (like 1-2TB a day), expect an influx of new users at some point in the future.

:eek2:

You sir, are awesome, thank you very much for your efforts!
(ps, where's the donate button?)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline achtung

• ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net

:eek2:

You sir, are awesome, thank you very much for your efforts!
(ps, where's the donate button?)

There isn't one because I don't typically accept them, but if you feel you want to:

paypal: [email protected]

BTC: 1PyDPQFvT8yijcTp2h3n3gZ87ZRYE5xgS6

LTC: LbV9YvmEHBj17aG1YtCfmdj716NGqMyhwd

And no, I'm not tax deductible. :>
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 02:08:45 am by achtung »
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Kolgena

So steam lists this as having working MP. Does it still work after FSO/MVPs?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Yes

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
There's some re-configuration that needs to be done though, isn't there?
Since the original servers the game looks for are long-dead.

Maybe we will have a multiplayer scene again? ...
Maybe not... /dreams
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Kolgena

Jesus I'm so excited for MP I seriously can't wait

Will BP WiH multiplayer somehow be able to access the same MP servers or no?

@Droid: I've read that the game now uses different MP servers that don't lag nearly as bad as the old ones the game used to have to use.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Yes, I recall having to edit a file to make the game point in to the correct (new) servers.
Which, judging by how a cursory glance of the steam forums seems to suggest, is far more work than your average new player is going to be physically capable of mentally comprehending.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The primary obstacles to fun play are unreliable hosts and laggy netcode. Players seem to make it work to some extent.

Offline achtung

• ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
The primary obstacles to fun play are unreliable hosts and laggy netcode. Players seem to make it work to some extent.
I'm sure there's no dedicated server in sight, right?

I'd love to put a dedicated server or two up.

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Kolgena

Yes, I recall having to edit a file to make the game point in to the correct (new) servers.
Which, judging by how a cursory glance of the steam forums seems to suggest, is far more work than your average new player is going to be physically capable of mentally comprehending.

I couldn't find any instructions on what I'm supposed to do. Looked briefly on steam forums for it.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Don't the multi forums here have a guide? People have been playing multi for years, I doubt the steps have changed drastically.

Offline Kolgena

Oh my bad, I misunderstood. I thought with the rerelease of FS2 they're now using a different MP system. Gotcha.

Oh well, can always hope that enough new people hop on to eventually get more of a MP scene up.

Offline bfobar

Hi!

Not to be a pest, and I'm using the search right now, but do we have any info on how to get all the good mods like 3.7.1 open, the mediavps, blue planet, etc into the steam install and get the mp working? Is there a wiki on it? I have a few friends on steam and I want to get them onto freespace 2 and have been trying to sell them on the game for a while now and I finally have takers now that its on steam.