Author Topic: What are you working on?  (Read 308940 times)

Re: What are you working on?
Amazing stuff you got there! :) Are they for a specific mod?

Thanks! :) I started off making them as a hobby and eventually put them together under a faction, it would be nice if I eventually got them into a mod so I can actually play with them instead of just looking at them, but I think I should finish the UVing first. Are there any tricks you use when you texture/UV to make it faster and simpler?

Personally I'm just good at admiring other peoples' work, I hope somebody knows some tricks (if there's no reply here, just try on Discord). :nod:

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
UV-ing is in my view without doubt the most annoying part of modelling.  I never got to complete grips with it because I got distracted by real life.  But I know there are a multitude of great tutorials out there.  Just focus on tutorials for your software of choice.

Also-  that Takov <3
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

UV Mapping is also my "Harbinger". I still cant get grips with it yet and I admit, not being able to have the required time to be patient and to successfully learn to make one like I want it. Maybe when I retire!
Got Shivans? The SOC Ezechiel is the schnitzel! Don't leave base without it.

I fought the the Harbinger, I didn't exactly win, but I think I got something out of the fight.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 03:02:14 pm by Autohummer »

Offline LionSGI

• My FreeSpace2 models
Great thread, keep posting!
Everytime someone posts his/her work it motivates me to do some work on my own models :D

Next in the line is:

74k of polygons + 10k of pimpgons :) uses one 4096x2048x32 and one 1024x1024x32 texture, they are 40M uncompressed.

You can view it in 3D on my site: http://www.lionsgi.com/blender/ (be patient, it has to download 23M before it does anything)

Sorry, no hangar this time either, but i promise, i will choose one with a hangar next time. ;)

And as always: If You would like to help me with this project, You are welcome!

My models: Slave One EP2 , C-70 , C-70 red , Radiant VII , Munificent , Recusant , Providence
If You would like to join this project (Clone Wars mod for FreeSpace2Open), then do not hesitate to contact me; ANY help is welcome

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
AHHHHHH IT'S TOO GLORIOUS!!! MY EYES CAN'T TAKE THE EXCELLENCE OF THE ANTWERP!!!!
HYPE!

. . .

what's an antwerp?
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
what's an antwerp?

A city in Flanders, Belgium.

Prior and during the age of Reformation it was a trading hub, following the Dutch Revolt (1585) its protestant citizens were forced to leave by their victorious catholic overlords; which in a roundabout way caused to the Dutch Golden Age as skilled workers and traders made their homes elsewhere, e.g. Amstedam.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/

74k of polygons + 10k of pimpgons :) uses one 4096x2048x32 and one 1024x1024x32 texture, they are 40M uncompressed.

I am quite out of the loop, is this model to be used ingame? Can FSO display it in that detail or do you make use of a LOD system?
What is the current polygone limite per "Scene" / Area of engagment currently?

PS: Models looks very nice. Is there a reason the brigde is bright green?
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

I am quite out of the loop, is this model to be used ingame? Can FSO display it in that detail or do you make use of a LOD system?

The  New EASD Nemesis has 205k poly for LOD0, and uses 5 4k maps while running fine in-game.

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
Oh okay. You got a picture of it and also are there other ships around it too?
I mean haveing one big ship running fine is okay but I back then there was a limit on how much polys you could run fine at onces. So what happens if you put the Nemesis and several other ships together? I mean is there still a limit or is FSO so good that you can go into the millions by now or is the limiting factor more in the textures used?

Also you got pictures or one of this nice 3D previews I see around here now.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
AHHHHHH IT'S TOO GLORIOUS!!! MY EYES CAN'T TAKE THE EXCELLENCE OF THE ANTWERP!!!!
HYPE!

. . .

what's an antwerp?

I often name things with historical references. Mefistifele, for example is an old Opera where the main character Faust strikes a deal with the devil (who is named Mefistifele).

0rph3u5 is correct on the source of the name, but not quite there in the reference. Antwerp was a key city near the end of WW2.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I'm getting serious starship troopers - rebel alliance hybrid vibes from that, and I love it 👍👍👍
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline LionSGI

• My FreeSpace2 models

thank You!
Lucas thought  (i agree with him at this) it would look cool to have a "glowing" bridge, i have gone a bit far wih that - maybe :) It has no reason, droids do not need lights anyway, nor hangars; but Star Wars is fantasy, no Sci-Fi :)
I love SW, because Lucas let design spacecraft from junkyard scrap and actual parts. if You look at (some) SW ships, You actually think they could work if You put them together. :)

i do not know of a polygon limit in FSO, but for sure there is one. Or maybe none (or memory limit of the machine that is running the game), i have not looked at the source code. I guess one might hit the FPS limit first :D
One can do wonders with detail boxes in FSO, but it must be a hell of a work. Unforunately i did not had any time to do LODs for my models or convert them for the game (i did it once just to try out); i hope some people will join this project and help me with the work...

And i thoght i was getting too far with 74k polygons, and it turns out it it just LOD3/LOD4 object for the  "New EASD Nemesis" - LOL :D
My models: Slave One EP2 , C-70 , C-70 red , Radiant VII , Munificent , Recusant , Providence
If You would like to join this project (Clone Wars mod for FreeSpace2Open), then do not hesitate to contact me; ANY help is welcome

Pic of new Nemesis: https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=36740.msg1884688#msg1884688
It's an in-game model so it's supposed to have stuff around ^^
I think the model is in Nyx P3D (link in his sig) too.

thank You!
Lucas thought  (i agree with him at this) it would look cool to have a "glowing" bridge, i have gone a bit far wih that - maybe :) It has no reason, droids do not need lights anyway, nor hangars; but Star Wars is fantasy, no Sci-Fi :)
I love SW, because Lucas let design spacecraft from junkyard scrap and actual parts. if You look at (some) SW ships, You actually think they could work if You put them together. :)

i do not know of a polygon limit in FSO, but for sure there is one. Or maybe none (or memory limit of the machine that is running the game), i have not looked at the source code. I guess one might hit the FPS limit first :D
One can do wonders with detail boxes in FSO, but it must be a hell of a work. Unforunately i did not had any time to do LODs for my models or convert them for the game (i did it once just to try out); i hope some people will join this project and help me with the work...

And i thoght i was getting too far with 74k polygons, and it turns out it it just LOD3/LOD4 object for the  "New EASD Nemesis" - LOL :D

Poly count isn't the only thing that counts, design and texture do too and that ship is such a beautiful thing. :) There is no polylimit in general but you might experience weird problems if you have more than 65536 vertices+normals per subobject.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
LOD0 of NuMesis is 56232[parent] + 149278[children] = 205510 tris in total. The polycount doesn't really matter as long as mesh is properly mapped. Nemesis uses 5 unique textures, but it's actually pretty high for UVed mesh. I made shivan corvette of about 70k tris and she still use single texture. You just need enough UV space to keep your maps sharp. Amount of unique materials depends fully on amount of surfaces and size of your ship.

You need to establish a compromise between quality and amount of unique materials your mesh use. Fewer materials [unique texture slots model uses] - the better, but also you risk quality of your texture.

Look at HTL Typhon, for example. It's textures are quite blurry because it uses only single texture slot. GalEmp prefers to UV his ships for maximum efficiency, sacrificing some quality. Scooby Doo's ships are the other end. His ships use many unique UV textures + shared textures of details etc. Scooby's ships looks very sharp and detailed at close distance even with 2048x2048px maps, but also his models are also quite resource consuming. My ships are between Scooby and GalEmp.

Now it's your time. Pick your poison. I picked both + I acquired skills of making "tight-as-****" packed UV maps :]

Also you don't need detailboxes. I like them, but it's not a neccesity. If your mesh is more than 65536 vertices+normals in total, you can just split the middle part and include it in hierarchy as child of LOD0. See HTL Hades for example.

Huh, and LOD1 of Nemesis is 61488, LOD2 is 18346 and LOD3 is 4902 :P
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 05:15:31 pm by Nyctaeus »
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
0rph3u5 is correct on the source of the name, but not quite there in the reference. Antwerp was a key city near the end of WW2.

Hehe... you were talking on Discord about making a certain type of mission and I just glued to the first "that-type-of-scenario" I could think of in the history of Antwerp - also the whole "a population is displaced only for them to go on and make great contributions to a society that is not the people doing the displacing" would have been a good fit for BtA's time period, with a Terran majority displacing a Vasudan minority somewhere.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."