Author Topic: Homeworld Remastered Collection pre-order up on Steam release 25 feb  (Read 35491 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re: Homeworld Remastered Collection pre-order up on Steam release 25 feb
Any support articles on that?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Wow, Homeworld Complex mod is ALREADY up on the steam workshop
Inside help?
...Uh, yes. You know that the creator of Complex got hired by Gearbox, right?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
Yes I do
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Emperor R42 sounds badass.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
This had to be done.

Wow, Homeworld Complex mod is ALREADY up on the steam workshop
It's fine, HWBP is ALREADY up on the steam workshop too.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Man it is purdy

“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Confirming from multi experience that in a one hull to one hull matchup the majority of Kushan ships will flatten their Hiigarran descendants. The respective destroyers make for a particularly painful case, as the Hiigarran model frequently loses when outnumbering Kushan types two to one. Similarly, twenty Blade interceptors will beat four squadrons of Hiigarran interceptors with minimal losses. Firelance ion frigates will slaughter their opposite numbers in an even matchup without even breaking a sweat. The Hiigarran battlecruiser appears to be the only real exception to this as it does reasonably well against Kushan Avatar heavy cruisers. (Though I did have that one time where my pair of Avatars ate four destroyers and a battlecruiser alive, because why not.)

So if you felt your fleet wasn't as powerful in HW2 as it was in HW1, you were right.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Vaygr seem to be doing better; their bombers and fighters are no match for Kushan Blades, but their laser corvettes are hilariously destructive against Kushan frigates and capitals. Vaygr destroyers are once again no match for ion cannon-armed Kushan destroyers. Their Missile Frigates are a fair match against Kushan Vengeance assault frigates or Firelance ion cannon frigates, though, and their carriers seem more durable.

Vaygr assault frigates and Hiigarran flak frigates seem almost totally ineffective against HW1 strike craft. HW1 ships which can hyperspace around like mad in the frigate and destroyer categories have a huge mobility advantage if you can find the resources to exploit it.

A Feddie Story

Offline Aesaar

There's a reason the combined MP is still called a beta.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
There's also a reason why I made the observation I did about the feeling that your Homeworld 1 fleet was more powerful than your Homeworld 2 fleet. The ingame stats, directly converted from their original sources, pretty much prove it. Everyone who thought 2's ship setups and tactical ideas were weird and ill-considered in comparison to 1 has had their case more or less made for them.

The disparity between the effectiveness of Vaygr and Hiigarran ships trying to cope with Homeworld 1 ships also suggests some awkward things about the second game in general, though it doesn't quite prove them.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 02:28:38 am by NGTM-1R »

A Feddie Story

Offline BirdofPrey

Well to be fair, previously there was no reason for the stats of HW2 ships to follow HW1 stats as long as each race in the game was balanced against the other.

So I figured I'd try a bit of Complex.  I had forgotten how annoying it is.  It has some good ideas (more ships and modules, modular weapons, etc.) but it is hinder TERRIBLY by the other crap they added (power and crew requirements, at least having to come up with the crew makes SOME sense if you ignore the fact the mothership is supposed to have extra crew in cryosleep, but seriously ships can't power themselves?   Also the rank system is stupid, you already have to tech up anyways, why add ANOTHER barrier?)
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
I did it

I saved them

I saved all the Cryo Trays against a ridiculously massive force of 12 frigates

Offline BirdofPrey

WOOT

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
12?
Did I miss a difficulty setting somewhere somehow? I've never seen more than 5 (and those always manage to blow up at least one cryo tray with focused fire before my **** can even get close to it). Btw, it bugged me tremedously that if you capture those assault frigates, they seem to turn into RU. Didn't get a single one in ship form, and I took all 5 of them. That's not what happened in the old classic homeworld.

I don't know if its some kind of deliberate change done in the name of 'balance' so you don't get 5 free frigates, but if it is, it is a silly one. Because two missions after that I already added this to my fleet:

Confirming from multi experience that in a one hull to one hull matchup the majority of Kushan ships will flatten their Hiigarran descendants. The respective destroyers make for a particularly painful case, as the Hiigarran model frequently loses when outnumbering Kushan types two to one. Similarly, twenty Blade interceptors will beat four squadrons of Hiigarran interceptors with minimal losses. Firelance ion frigates will slaughter their opposite numbers in an even matchup without even breaking a sweat. The Hiigarran battlecruiser appears to be the only real exception to this as it does reasonably well against Kushan Avatar heavy cruisers. (Though I did have that one time where my pair of Avatars ate four destroyers and a battlecruiser alive, because why not.)

So if you felt your fleet wasn't as powerful in HW2 as it was in HW1, you were right.
Blah, ships felt so flimsy in HW2. Frigates especially. Never was much of a fan of it. These testing results don't suprise me one bit.

Now allow me to be that guy for a bit:

HD remaster amirite?
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
They apparently randomized the difficulty based upon the number of ships in your fleet. It was like that in HW1, but there was a cap, I think. It was set to not go above 5-6 frigates max.

But in Remastered...  :shaking:

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I left mission 2 with like 10 captured corvettes and a handful of interceptors. I guess it doesn't count turanic raider ships as anything.

Also, I just have to complain loudly about this.
They changed it and now it SUCKS.

Multibeam frigates do not SPIN in the remastered version and their beams only last a fraction of what they used to do :mad: :hopping:
Whats the point of these now if they are no longer cool!

Edit: I'm seeing the difficulty increase thing. The fleet around the ghost ship is ****ing huge now, holy ****.

It's fine, HWBP is ALREADY up on the steam workshop too.
Nice  :yes:
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 06:28:36 am by Spoon »
Urutorahappī!!

Offline crizza

What have they done to the formation thing?
Everytime I order my strikecraft to form a formation, these buggers actually form it, but as soon as they are attacking, every single crackhead breaks away and does whatever the **** they want!
And no fuel? Next mission is Kadesh... I'm a litle worried that it won't be possobble to simple kill the fuel pods and watch the swarmer run dry...
And was there a unit limit in the original and did the number of captured ship fit in?
Right now if captured a whole lot of enemy firgates and two destroyers, but the missile destroyers were nowhere to be found when I beat the crap out of the exterminatus fleet...

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
What have they done to the formation thing?

Everytime I order my strikecraft to form a formation, these buggers actually form it, but as soon as they are attacking, every single crackhead breaks away and does whatever the **** they want!
Yeah I have no ****ing clue why they ****ed that up so bad. I send 70 bombers in claw formation to the ghost ship and instead of delivering a massive strike they just flew up to it, didn't fire much, then broke formation and just kind of durdled around. I remember in classic I disabled the ghost ship in nearly one attack run with a big bomber claw formation like that.

And no fuel? Next mission is Kadesh... I'm a litle worried that it won't be possobble to simple kill the fuel pods and watch the swarmer run dry...
The fuel pods literally serve no purpose in remastered.

And was there a unit limit in the original and did the number of captured ship fit in?
Right now if captured a whole lot of enemy firgates and two destroyers, but the missile destroyers were nowhere to be found when I beat the crap out of the exterminatus fleet...
You can go over the limit with captured ships. Right now im at double the population cap of frigates because I captured 25 something of them when the ghost ship shut down.
Also I think you misremember, the missile destroyer is first encountered at the ghost ship, never before that.

Having such a huge amount of ships is killing me in this super nova mission. The line of captured taiidan frigates extends for such length that they start in the radiation zone. After watching the cutscene they were already at 80% health.
And I just lost half my bombers trying to load them up into my (captured taiidan) carrier, as they formed such a long line that the radiation killed them.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline crizza

It is sometimes possible to assign groups and order them befor starting cutscenes fire.
At Kharak I was able to order my strikecraft and corvettes to attack the taiidan frigates even before Fleetcommand told my the cryothingies were under attack.
By assigning numbers to the captured Taiidan, maybe they can be ordered into guard formation of the mothership at mission start?
At after which point can you capture a taiidan carrier? tried that befor the diamond mission(destroying asteroids), but my salvage corvettes were all about "No way, we'll just sit next to it an let us cut to pieces"

But this formation crap really bugs me... they don't even form a simple sphere after getting a guard order! :hopping:
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 07:51:03 am by crizza »

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Mission 5 is where you can get destroyers and the first taiidan carrier.
It's not actually very useful to have the carrier, it can't build, its just a mobile repair point for fighters I guess.

My captured ships change colors randomly with each mission. My carrier has switched from kushan to taiidan colors like 5 times already, same with the destroyers. Now its even colored black, and I haven't even gotten to that point in the campaign yet.

I didn't build half this ****, im sitting at 40k resources right now.
Urutorahappī!!