Author Topic: Homeworld Remastered Collection pre-order up on Steam release 25 feb  (Read 35495 times)

Offline Aesaar

Re: Homeworld Remastered Collection pre-order up on Steam release 25 feb
What I mean is that most of Cata's ship designs suck on such a basic level that more polygons won't make them look good.  They'd need a total redesign.

The Somtaaw carrier is a really good example of this.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 05:22:57 pm by Aesaar »

Offline Luis Dias

Aesaar, tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
What I mean is that most of Cata's ship designs suck at such a basic level that more polygons won't make them look good.  They'd need a total redesign.

The Somtaaw carrier is a really good example of this.
At first I was like "Well, it wasn't that bad... was it?"
And then I looked up some screenshots from the homeworld wiki and was like "Oh. Yeah, no. These are basically blocks with little to no actual design to them. Aesaar is completely right."
The Somtaaw ships are quite frankly, really really bad looking. If they are going to remaster Catalysm at some point, they should just redo the whole Somtaaw fleet.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
I liked the Kuun Laan and...
um...
er...

yeah
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
What I mean is that most of Cata's ship designs suck at such a basic level that more polygons won't make them look good. 

What you mean is that you have a broad opinion in all its relative value rather than nuanced commentary on the subject.

I was one of the guys annoyed when they deblocked the Orion, because I preferred the solidity and implied resilience and power of it. So yeah, you're going to need more.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Aesaar

Spoon basically explained it.  Somtaaw capships are bricks, with no more design or visual appeal than a Soviet apartment building.  They don't look like repurposed civilian designs (since that could actually be really interesting), they just look like bricks.

This isn't a condemnation of blocky ships, because Homeworld has a lot of good-looking blocky ships.   So does FS.  But Cataclysm is an example of how not to do it.

The Kuun-Lan looks ok, the hive frigate isn't horrible, and a case could be made for the dreadnought if it was lengthened.

And Somtaaw corvettes are just downright lazy.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 08:49:59 pm by Aesaar »

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
I happened to like the carrier design, but I think I'm alone in that.  It may be because it felt like something I could easily construct with an erector set or legos or k'nex or something. (I had Cataclysm when I was pretty young.)  Looking at it today, it is not as good as I remember.  So I agree on most counts, especially the destroyer, ore processor , multi-beam frigate and corvettes.   

They were probably under heavy time restraints.  I do love the sentinel and the leech craft, however.

Honestly, I couldn't get into the game for a while because the default resolution make everything look.... even worse, and I didn't realize that changing the resolution would make it look any better.  I finally played through it two years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
They clearly focused on the sound in cata :yes:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
To be fair, the Kuun Lan had some interesting design cues hidden within the mess of blocks; it's probably the most visually interesting and best design of the Somtaaw designs but it's still not amazing by any means of the word.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 08:54:57 pm by Hades »
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline crizza

Whenever I draw a puny little concept for large mining or fabrication ships I end up getting a Kuun-Lan style ship...

homeworld cataclysm is one of the most daring and innovative portfolios of toaster design in recent history
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Nothing is worse than the Kushan heavy cruiser.

I'm trying really hard to remember what it looks like (without having to look it up)... That means it's pretty forgettable, but I get a very strong feeling that whatever it looked like, you're absolutely right about it.

I do actually like the design of the Somtaaw Destroyer though. Even the Heavy Cruiser looked all right.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter

I'm trying really hard to remember what it looks like (without having to look it up)... That means it's pretty forgettable, but I get a very strong feeling that whatever it looked like, you're absolutely right about it.

I do actually like the design of the Somtaaw Destroyer though. Even the Heavy Cruiser looked all right.
Kushan heavy cruiser: http://homeworld.wikia.com/wiki/Avatar-class_Heavy_Cruiser
Somtaaw destroyer: http://homeworld.wikia.com/wiki/Deacon-class_Destroyer
Somtaaw dreadnought: http://homeworld.wikia.com/wiki/Archangel-class_Dreadnought

Quite frankly, I don't really like the design of any of them.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
I actually think the Archangel is the worst design in the game. I know exactly what it's trying to do, and it does kind of accomplish it, it's just the Bentusi should have been unique. (Relatively poor combat performance also plays a role.)

A Feddie Story

I quite like the Avatar, though it does suffer from an indistinctness of shape. It has a muscly, brutish quality and it inherits enough from the carrier (which TBH I quite dislike because of how much of it is empty space) that it fits with the rest of the fleet. Though I like the Boanerges for similar reasons, so I might be going against the grain here too.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
If {a couple of familiar cruisers and corvettes known primarily from a very big and well-known mod} had potential, Somtaaw blocks have it too. The main issue with Somtaaw fleet is that it needs to be very compact, which was translated to being square. Each of them has some kind of shape so I can't really see the issue, especially since no one is complaining about Bentusi :P
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline Luis Dias

I actually think the Archangel is the worst design in the game. I know exactly what it's trying to do, and it does kind of accomplish it, it's just the Bentusi should have been unique. (Relatively poor combat performance also plays a role.)

I like it but I get your point 100%. And yes, I generally agree that Cata ships are not the feminine sleek and slim gorgeous ships of HW1 or HW2, but then again they are not feminine. They are masculine, brute-like, mining people like. It's like the ugly marginal big muscled guy who gets to save the day for once. Hey, it can't always be the sleeky super marvel-like heroes doing the job. Sometimes it's the janitor doing the ****. And that's the kind of story that Cata is.

So please y'all, stop fatshaming Cataclysm. The worst that could ever happen to Cataclysm is a sort of Hyperionization in the way of BP!

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
*has not played cataclysm*

People tell me I should.
I loved homeworld, but the flood/borg/zerg bio-thing infesting everything is a meh trope/concept.

That said, Homeworld in HD, remastered. So much YES.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
I like it but I get your point 100%. And yes, I generally agree that Cata ships are not the feminine sleek and slim gorgeous ships of HW1 or HW2, but then again they are not feminine. They are masculine, brute-like, mining people like. It's like the ugly marginal big muscled guy who gets to save the day for once. Hey, it can't always be the sleeky super marvel-like heroes doing the job. Sometimes it's the janitor doing the ****. And that's the kind of story that Cata is.

So please y'all, stop fatshaming Cataclysm. The worst that could ever happen to Cataclysm is a sort of Hyperionization in the way of BP!

Yeah, pretty much this. With only like four or five exceptions, literally every ship you saw in Cataclysm was a combat vessel designed in a couple days by a half-dozen guys locked in a room until they made a spaceship and they only had a three-day-old cheese pizza to eat.  The design was then sent straight to the factory where it was deployed within hours of arrival, if not sooner.

They're not pretty. They're not efficient. They're not refined. These ships were designed under the motto "Second Best Tomorrow". They are the product of an extraordinary emergency. They look the part.

A Feddie Story