Author Topic: Doom is back with gory mayhem  (Read 5345 times)

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Doom is back with gory mayhem

Re: Doom is back with gory mayhem
It wouldn't be Doom if there was no ludicrous gibbing going on :)

Offline Luis Dias

Was that gore really all that necessary? I mean, why can't Doom play more like Farmville or something? Damned these games with all their ultraviolence, all fun and no chores to do...

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!

**** YEAH \m/

On to the criticism:

I'm not so sure enemies dropping health is a good idea. It could lead to more frenetic action since going after a larger enemy will provide an immediate reward, but it may detract from a level's long-term strategic puzzle. I also liked that many enemies in older Doom games, including (especially) some tougher demons, provided no health or ammo reward for killing them - only the fact that they were no longer a threat.

The aesthetics are dull. People can quibble over realism but ultimately, a color palette consisting of brown, orange and more brown is uninspiring to look at. The Hell level has this problem much more than the others do. https://twitter.com/RatCasket/status/610478646499766273

Some criticism people have been raising that IMO doesn't hold weight:

The pacing is slow. I've seen this video making the rounds comparing it to Brutal Doom, which I don't think is necessarily a fair comparison. A better comparison would be to the original Doom/Doom II which is not significantly faster than what we've seen of the new game unless you're rushing through or speedrunning, especially considering that the E3 footage is a reveal trailer and is taking the time to admire the brown graphics. Ultimately, we'll need to actually play it to know more about how fun the pacing is. And it's Doom, I'm sure there are gonna be mods!

Similarly, people have been worried about the weapon switching interface. It's confirmed to be optional (at least on PC). There was a short video of switching weapons without the interface, but I can't seem to find it now. It was fast enough for decent pacing, certainly less than half a second IIRC.

Also, naturally, the usual suspects have been chiming in that it's too violent. It's ****ing DOOM. Get over yourselves. \m/

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Indeed, everything is very brown/yellow/orange which is meh. The Doom SnapMap tool does look pretty cool though.
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Hopefully they let you duct tape the damn flashlight onto your guns this time.

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
The pacing is actually still too fast IMHO - would induce nausea in virtual reality (it IS doing to support VR, I hope...). I understand that they are trying to get back to the roots, but one thing should be left in the non-VR gaming past, and that is ridiculously fast player movement speeds.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
Ulala: Indeed, I do like what little was shown of the tool - I wonder how powerful it is in terms of defining gameplay modes!

Mongoose: from the looks of things you may not need one, they seem to be dialing back the dark aesthetic (Also, Doom 3 BFG Edition changes the flashlight to a toggle you can use while any other weapon is active, so they've definitely realized it was an inconvenience).

left in the non-VR gaming past

Are you trolling? I can't tell.

Offline Luis Dias

Curiously, my first ever experiment with VR was 20 years ago in a science show in Lisbon where I got to play DOOM with a occulus-type headset. Terrible eye experience, but the idea was so cool that I was just amazed by it.

Is there even any game currently in the tubes that explicitly intends to use VR ?

Is there even any game currently in the tubes that explicitly intends to use VR ?

Besides EVE: Valkyrie? Not that I know of, specifically. I imagine many of them will be compatible though.

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
Curiously, my first ever experiment with VR was 20 years ago in a science show in Lisbon where I got to play DOOM with a occulus-type headset. Terrible eye experience, but the idea was so cool that I was just amazed by it.

I have just received the DK2 and played Doom 3 with it. Pretty awesome, and a big boost in immersion IMHO. There are still some problems (timewarp does not work with Doom 3 so latency is pretty high, positional tracking does not work in all directions due to only one camera, resolution could be higher, default player movement speed is too high - nauseating when you move a lot, significantly improves when you cut it in half), but overall I was very impressed.

Adjustable movement speed is of course a solution for VR, I am just worried if setting lower speed wont cause gameplay problems if the whole game is balanced for the high speed seen in the video (I doubt you could jump like that if not running fast). This is not a problem with Doom 3 due to the less fast paced nature of its gameplay, but could be for the new Doom.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
Yeah, if a game is going to cater its whole gameplay experience towards VR it's not gonna be Doom, if it gets in the way of frenetic, fast gameplay. The direction they're going is pretty clear at this point.

Offline Luis Dias

"frenetic fast gameplay" "Doom"

Wat.

Listen guys, your rose colored glasses are showing. DOOM was played BEFORE mouselook was introduced! Many people didn't even play it with strafe! (Did it even exist in the originals?!?) I played the hell out of it, but with JUST the keyboard! There was not this fast-paced anything in it! You could waste a lot of time just trying to get the center of the screen pointed at the monsters.

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
I didn't make any statement about the original games in my last post. Fast and frenetic is the direction the new game seems to be going compared to Doom 3 and, apparently, compared to the kind of speed that would be usable in VR. (I admit I have no experience with VR so I have no idea of 666maslo666's point is even valid).

Offline Vrets

This game is...DOOMed.

YEEEEAAAAAAAH.

/throws self off CN tower

Hopefully they let you duct tape the damn flashlight onto your guns this time.

A flashlight doesn't even seem necessary. The game environment appears to be quite bright.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon

Besides EVE: Valkyrie? Not that I know of, specifically. I imagine many of them will be compatible though.

And Battlezone. :sigh:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-16-rebellion-revives-battlezone-for-virtual-reality-headsets

Offline potterman28wxcv

• Just a fan player
They said that they wanted fast movements like Doom, but what they show in the video, it's not that fast paced.. I mean, Doom is a lot faster than that.

I'm not impressed of the gameplay right now.. I had the weird feeling that they wanted to seduce the player by the graphics. I just hope that the gameplay will be there too.

You can't really "show" Doom-like gameplay. I mean, just look at how simple the first 2 games were, the greatness was in the level design and challenge curve, not something you can show off without getting your hands on the game.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded