Author Topic: [Release] GVF Corybant  (Read 11810 times)

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
[Release] GVF Corybant
Thought i start a new thread for this one
to get some practice with quixel 2.0 i reworked this ship originally from the ASW3 dump to be more vasudan and textured it with some PBR textures:

It's an intercepter
download:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ak5jscq9iytqccy/corybant_1.0.zip

« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 03:04:52 pm by fightermedic »
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Try to add some vasudan-styled plating. Awesome work :yes:. I love this model.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
You could add some blue stripes/lights here and there on the wings. Might help with the vasudan feel.
It looks quite good as it stands right now though, just feels a bit empty on details on the wings IMO.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Those wings are gigantic, and don't seem to do anything for the model. I feel like the entire wing assembly could be squashed to 50% on the Y axis, and it would feel a bit more Vasudan. Observe:

[attachment DELETED!! by Strong Bad]
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Wings are fine for me. But indeed they need some more details painted on them (normalmap can do miracles as well :)). I'm more confused about simple, circular engine nozzles. That's not a common thing in vasudan designs. But it's not a tragedy as they are hidden behind the exhaust flames for the 99% of gameplay.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I love Galemp's squashed look a lot but I'm cool either way.

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
You should remember this model was intended to be an Ancient interceptor for ASW. fightermedic is doing a good texturing job so far (though it needs some panneling but it's still WIP I guess), and he did change the principal engine nozzle that had some strange tentacles. Also, the long wings give it a slim profile, whichsells it as a fast fighter, I say keep it.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Works nicely for me
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Galemp's version makes it look more like it was based on the Ulysses's design, to me.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
The original looks fine to me.
If any size changes were made, though, I'd say shortening the forward section is more effective than shortening the rear.  Shortening the rear of the wings past the rear of the main hull somehow makes the craft seem stubby.

As far as texturing goes. it looks nice, but it just isn't a vasudan craft without the vaguely scaly looking hull plating.
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

Offline fightermedic

updated the p3d with new version, i call this more or less final
>>Ships created by me<<
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline Luis Dias

Glorious! The emperor will be pleased!! :yes: :yes: :yes:

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I think there's a lot more that could be done with that wing geometry other than applying a tile-texture. Just look at the Serapis wings, or the high-poly Hatshepsut. This, it just doesn't feel right for the scale.

Ah well, that's what post-release reskins are for...
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

I could do some basic texturing like the Shu Mk II if there is a good UV map. One thing I'd love to see is the cockpit canopy going down over the front about 10 to 20 degrees from horizontal in the front. I did that in my Advance Vasudan Interceptor shown in the Vasudan Interceptor thread.

My 2 GTVA credits worth :D

Jadehawk
Got Shivans? The SOC Ezechiel is the schnitzel! Don't leave base without it.

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

Offline PeterX

• Peter
Wow,very detailed.  :) :bump:
If i can´t model any ship then i use "flying trains" :-)

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
I have to say those panels look off. A voronoi is not great for a fighter. Take your time and draw the panel lines, it'll be a lot better.
I know it, I also used a voronoi on fhe Seth (my first texture) and people insisted on changing it and now I'm proud of what came out.
So, it's not bad but I think you can do better.

Offline fightermedic

yea, i guess you are right
funny enough i just now before reading your post looked at some of your models for inspiration :P
the result will probably still suck, but maybe a bit less
>>Ships created by me<<

Offline fightermedic

another update, i hope it's better now
>>Ships created by me<<