Author Topic: Mike Kulas & Matt Toschlog working on a new Descent-inspired title  (Read 49726 times)

Offline Hunter

• Ross128, Freespace 2 Sector, Freespace Files
    • Sectorgame
Mike Kulas & Matt Toschlog working on a new Descent-inspired title
In what is probably one of the bigest announcements of recent years, the original founders of Parallax Software, Volition and Outrage have come back together and launched a new studio. They are setting up their first title to be 'OVERLOAD' - Which is pretty much DESCENT with a different name. If this takes off and works, FreeSpace may just have a future too. Their website hasn't officially launched yet, but you can take a sneek peak.

http://www.playoverload.com/

Password: overload

There is also a teaser-trailer up @ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjpf5ztwTRw

:nod:

Another sticky topic from me - but I really didn't see this one coming - ANOTHER 6DOF game by some of the original Descent creators? Get involved and get backing people! Stat!  :p - Fineus
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 12:57:31 pm by Fineus »
FreeSpace Files | Overload | Sectorgame Forums - For those times when HLP is down (or because you want to keep me company)

Volition BB Survivor - Nov 1999 to April 2002 / Yes I know *some* folks in Hollywood, and no I can't get you on TV.

Offline MikeRoz

Re: Mike Kulas & Matt Toschlog working on a new Descent-inspired title
I'm going to keep clicking that Kickstarter link until it works.

EDIT: NVM, found it: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2010925172/overload-the-ultimate-six-degree-of-freedom-shoote?ref=nav_search
Rave reviews of my previous posts:
"Wow.  Just wow.  Well, just about the whole post is devoid of reasonable technical merit and accuracy." -Enki
"Wow, he just wasted about an hour of his life." -MachManX
"There are 5 million things wrong with your post, of which many have already been pointed out..." -blackhole
"Grrr. Someone please monkey mike...He's causing more problems than he's solving" -terran_emperor
"You're not very bright, are you." - General Battuta

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
I've checked out the Overload website today. Kinda reminds me of Sol: Contigency and Descent Underground.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Looks a lot closer to what I was hoping Descent: Underground would turn out to be. Their ask is also refreshingly modest. Color me interested.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Aww, sweet.  <3

Offline Hunter

• Ross128, Freespace 2 Sector, Freespace Files
    • Sectorgame
I've checked out the Overload website today. Kinda reminds me of Sol: Contigency and Descent Underground.

It reminds me of Descent 1  :pimp:
FreeSpace Files | Overload | Sectorgame Forums - For those times when HLP is down (or because you want to keep me company)

Volition BB Survivor - Nov 1999 to April 2002 / Yes I know *some* folks in Hollywood, and no I can't get you on TV.

Offline MikeRoz

Their ask is also refreshingly modest.
I love that, while I am sure they have stretch goals for larger amounts in mind, they have not bothered posting them, and likely won't until and unless they are in reach. Like one project which had a $17m stretch goal and ended up with $23k short of their $250k goal.
Rave reviews of my previous posts:
"Wow.  Just wow.  Well, just about the whole post is devoid of reasonable technical merit and accuracy." -Enki
"Wow, he just wasted about an hour of his life." -MachManX
"There are 5 million things wrong with your post, of which many have already been pointed out..." -blackhole
"Grrr. Someone please monkey mike...He's causing more problems than he's solving" -terran_emperor
"You're not very bright, are you." - General Battuta

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Urgh, I'm already backing Descent Underground. So one group has the IP and the other has the original developers. Why do they have to be going head-to-head like this, couldn't they have been staggered by a few years? :sigh:
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
As much as I loved Descent as a kid, do we REALLY need two new Descent style games at the same time?
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
As much as I loved Descent as a kid, do we REALLY need two new Descent style games at the same time?

Yes.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Three, if you count Sol Contingency. :)  That was the first of these that i started keeping an eye on.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline BirdofPrey

I thought that was killed off when Descent Underground was announced.

Regardless, I think it's problematic to have multiple games that do little to differentiate themselves from each other.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

Or to differentiate themselves from Descent. I didn't play Descent when I was a child. I have no nostalgic attachment to the series. The unadorned premise of "shoot stuff in corridors" is not very interesting in 2016 and they make no effort to go beyond that.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
I thought that was killed off when Descent Underground was announced.

Nah, they just had to drop "Descent" from the name and change the assets that referenced Descent.  It slowed them down, but hasn't stopped them. 

Oh, and I forgot about Sublevel Zero.  :)  So, yeah, 6DOF fans suddenly have a lot of new choices available or on the horizon. 
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever
hyped! Just backed for 130$! I'm liking this more than Descent Underground, I hope it reaches its goal
Stuff

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Guess Mike is back out of retirement lol.
And a decent type game actively lead by the original guys, count me as interested
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline BirdofPrey

It does look gorgeous, moreso than Underground, though that could be that, judging by the funding goals and what they've said, they are mostly done.
They're funding a beta product rather than the usual alpha or preproduction.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Urgh, I'm already backing Descent Underground. So one group has the IP and the other has the original developers. Why do they have to be going head-to-head like this, couldn't they have been staggered by a few years? :sigh:

They seem to be emphasizing very different things, though: DU is all about the twitchy multiplayer and trying to make a competitive game, Overload is clearly focusing on the single player experience.

Given that those goals will tend to pull the game in different directions, I'm not sad that they're split.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 07:34:48 pm by Sushi »

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
This looks nice, but I don't think I like the fact that they're basing themselves off D1 and D2. Descent 3 (with expansion) was, IMO, the superior game. Granted, the earlier two were definitely addictive, but D3 had much more variety, both in level design and in objectives. Not to mention it actually had a story. Some of the missions were very atmospheric, too.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
This looks nice, but I don't think I like the fact that they're basing themselves off D1 and D2. Descent 3 (with expansion) was, IMO, the superior game. Granted, the earlier two were definitely addictive, but D3 had much more variety, both in level design and in objectives. Not to mention it actually had a story. Some of the missions were very atmospheric, too.

Hmm. I wonder what the KS page says about that.

Oh, yes, this:
Intense single-player action in 6-degrees-of-freedom
15 level campaign filled with explosive combat and exploration
Story by the writer of Freespace 2
Breath-taking graphics and spectacular sound, with a soundtrack by Dan Wentz & Allister Brimble

So I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that story and atmosphere are covered :P

Also, this is probably the most HLP-baity Kickstarter ever....
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns