Author Topic: Mike Kulas & Matt Toschlog working on a new Descent-inspired title  (Read 49718 times)

Offline CKid

Re: Mike Kulas & Matt Toschlog working on a new Descent-inspired title
2 hours and under 3K to go!
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Passed 1500 to go

BELOW 1000 TO GO
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 07:08:32 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline MikeRoz

It made it!
Rave reviews of my previous posts:
"Wow.  Just wow.  Well, just about the whole post is devoid of reasonable technical merit and accuracy." -Enki
"Wow, he just wasted about an hour of his life." -MachManX
"There are 5 million things wrong with your post, of which many have already been pointed out..." -blackhole
"Grrr. Someone please monkey mike...He's causing more problems than he's solving" -terran_emperor
"You're not very bright, are you." - General Battuta

Watching a Kickstarter fail is like watching your home team lose the superbowl.  It sucks, you feel sad inside, but life goes on.  I went to bed last night feeling like this.  But I woke up this morning to a miracle.  Wow!  I am very happy they made it.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Exactly how I felt waking up (early) this morning to check on things:

https://youtu.be/-1BPx5Wsm7k?t=84

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
I'm so very stoked right now.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
They crossed the 300K mark with 2 hours and 8 minutes to spare.

Even after 16 years, they still know how to stick to a tight schedule. Truly remarkable.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Woo! Woke up to a pleasant surprise. Really looking forward to this!
I am a revolutionary.

A few weeks ago they released their first demo to backers of $90 and up. It's largely similar to the public teaser from the Kickstarter campaign but with more content and new weapons/enemies.

As a fan of Descent 1/2 (who also enjoys Descent 3) I love what they've shown so far and I'm thoroughly excited to play the finished game next year!

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
And what of Sol Contingency? Should it be distinguished from Overload, and by extension, Descent: Underground?
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
:wtf: I dunno, should WCS be distinguished FS Blue, and by extension, Blueplanet?  :confused:

Overload, Sol Contingency, and Descent: Underground are three separate 6dof games. It might be like comparing Halo, Call of Duty, and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. from the FPS genre.

Overload is made by the creators of Descent and so far it is very much a continuation of Descent 1/2 style gameplay and atmosphere. It is cube based and runs in the Unity engine. It's going to be singleplayer only with a separate multiplayer expansion created after the singleplayer game is released.

Sol Contingency started as a mod to recreate Descent in UE3. The team consists of 4 core members who work on it in their spare time. They were issued a Cease and Desist order by Interplay after 2 years of development and rather than give up they removed any Descent-related IP and continued development. Sol Contingency feels like a perfect hybrid of Descent 1/2's claustrophobic world and spatial tactics combined with the speed and brutality of Unreal Tournament 3. They have released a small but fun (completely free) multiplayer game that they call the Proving Grounds. Currently they are porting their game to UE4 and working on a singleplayer campaign.

Descent: Underground is being created by A small studio mostly made up of ex-Star Citizen developers. They licensed the Descent brand from Interplay but don't have the rights to any of the original assets or design. They are aiming to have a singleplayer campaign but so far their early access game is multiplayer only. This is unfortunately the least Descent-like of the three with 9 different ships, an overabundance of game modes, and a basic lack of understanding of core mechanics that made Descent 1/2 fun. It features tiny, spindly ships in huge environments and feels like a Micromachines playset.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I'll have to try out Proving Grounds. The Overload teaser was amazing and I'm definitely looking forward to the full release of that.

It's better for these types of games to be singleplayer-focused, as most multiplayer indie games tend to die after a few months due to a lack of players. For example, nobody plays Retrovirus or Strike Vector online anymore, but the former has a great SP campaign while the latter is MP-only and is not worth playing anymore.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
I tried Proving Grounds, but yet to try out the Overload teaser. SolC tends to move away from the cube-like geometry seen in Overload and Descent: Underground, as well as the earlier Descent games except Descent 3, which I'm trying to emulate it with this project.

Singleplayer-focused means keeping up the way modern singleplayer games does.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
So, Revival is here with Overload at PAX Prime and they are giving out Steam Keys for Overload.

Anybody interested? If so, I can swing by for a pickup on Monday (I already have a few that were already asked for ahead of time), but I don't want to just pick up a stack and have them be unused.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
So, Revival is here with Overload at PAX Prime and they are giving out Steam Keys for Overload.

Anybody interested? If so, I can swing by for a pickup on Monday (I already have a few that were already asked for ahead of time), but I don't want to just pick up a stack and have them be unused.
Ooooh, ooooh, me, me, me!
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft

I'd love one.
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Me too, if it wouldn't be too much trouble. Sounds like it could be a very fun game.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter

yes please
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns