Author Topic: Mike Kulas & Matt Toschlog working on a new Descent-inspired title  (Read 49719 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: Mike Kulas & Matt Toschlog working on a new Descent-inspired title
Honestly at this point I'm sick of puzzling out Poe's Law so I just assume the worst. :p

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

Thank you for letting us know, but why did death pee? :confused:

Offline MikeRoz

...if this isn't sarcasm, then you're being ridiculously misleading.  The demo is just that: a snapshot of content produced up to this point, and presumably won't be touched other than bugfixing.  Early Access is where actual new content will be pushed and iterated on, i.e. exactly how Early Access is meant to work, and obviously you then own the full game when it's complete.  The store page is pretty clear about what's coming in the future, and both Luke and Mike have commented on the distinction between the two in the forums.

Literally every gaming project in Kickstarter history has missed its initial projected release date.  It'd be far more of a shock if they'd managed to hit it.  If you can't accept that, then don't back games.
If some awesome new update is coming, why didn't they wait for that to start selling the game? Right now they're selling a rehash of the demo.

Missing the deadline on its own was just a cause for concern - maybe there were unforeseeable issues, or maybe it's a symptom of a deeper problem of feature creep or unrealistic goals. But on its own it's not cause for demanding a refund.

I backed the Kickstarter with the expectation that the game would arrive if the goal of $300,000 was met. The goal was met. There was nothing in there about needing to sell the demo for $25 and hoping enough suckers pick it up or we're all out of luck. We were pitched a game, not a perpetual crowd funding/early access campaign. This development undermines my confidence in their ability to deliver, and they have modified the destination - the product I purchased - from a single delivery to a continuous campaign of partial releases and expansions. I thought requesting a refund was what you're supposed to do in this situation?
Rave reviews of my previous posts:
"Wow.  Just wow.  Well, just about the whole post is devoid of reasonable technical merit and accuracy." -Enki
"Wow, he just wasted about an hour of his life." -MachManX
"There are 5 million things wrong with your post, of which many have already been pointed out..." -blackhole
"Grrr. Someone please monkey mike...He's causing more problems than he's solving" -terran_emperor
"You're not very bright, are you." - General Battuta

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Because they wanted to have a platform in place first to push the new content towards?  Getting software properly vetted and ready to go on the public Steam storefront takes time and effort, and you obviously want all your ducks in a row before you start regularly pushing significant new content to it.  There's also the fact that Revival had the updated demo ready to go, and so they'd want to have a place for people who are enthusiastic about the demo to go and purchase what will be the eventual finished product.  They'd be losing out on customers otherwise.

Whatever your opinions on early access are in general, it makes a lot of sense for a project like Overload.  One of the issues the devs have mentioned about limiting test builds to Kickstarter backers is that the vast majority aren't actively playing them (guilty as charged), so they're not getting much in the way of usable feedback.  Opening the test builds up to more public consumption allows for a much larger playerbase.  It's also nice in that they don't have to rely on putting out a bunch of disparate test builds anymore (seriously, I have 3 or 4 Overload versions in my Steam library at this point) and can push everything to the early access version.  (Apparently the main focus of the initial updates will be the game's endless survival mode, which was just a little bonus thing from the initial preview but got a ton of good reaction.  I'm assuming they're starting with that because it enables testing on pretty much all the gameplay fundamentals and balance in a relatively compact setting.)  So you get a bunch of new testers to aid the rest of development, plus you get some additional funding while enabling customers to pre-purchase the game and get an early feel for it.

And I get the impression that you don't have much experience with crowdfunding, or at the very least have unreasonably high expectations for it.  Gaming or otherwise, I've backed over a dozen projects, the majority of which have already delivered the product or are set to do so at some point this year, and not one of them hit their original projected release date.  Hell, I've never so much as heard of a gaming-related project that hit its initial date.  Delays happen, new obstacles appear, devs come up with new content that they didn't originally plan on adding.  It's pretty much SOP for this sort of thing.  Nothing at all suggests that Revival wouldn't be able to complete the game even without the additional early access funding, but a little extra income never hurt, and more importantly it gets them a much wider base of testers.  This isn't some sort of SC bull**** where a company is selling JPEGs in lieu of actually developing what was promised.  I simply don't see how you have any sort of realistic justification to seek out a refund here.

This is a completely insane overreaction to them missing one deadline. For all that Star Citizen has made a joke of it as an excuse, projects miss deadlines all the ****ing time.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
They're not selling a "demo" for $25, though demos are of course included included; they're selling the game when it is finished. That's what Early Access is. For all the reasons Mongoose already pointed out, EA makes sense for Overload, and your "concern" is unwarranted. This isn't Star Citizen, man.
I am a revolutionary.

Offline MikeRoz

Release has been pushed yet again, to Q1 2018.

No mention of this delay either on the Steam store, where they continue to SELL a DEMO version of the game.
Rave reviews of my previous posts:
"Wow.  Just wow.  Well, just about the whole post is devoid of reasonable technical merit and accuracy." -Enki
"Wow, he just wasted about an hour of his life." -MachManX
"There are 5 million things wrong with your post, of which many have already been pointed out..." -blackhole
"Grrr. Someone please monkey mike...He's causing more problems than he's solving" -terran_emperor
"You're not very bright, are you." - General Battuta

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
You're just a Poe bot aren't you?
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Release has been pushed yet again, to Q1 2018.

No mention of this delay either on the Steam store, where they continue to SELL a DEMO version of the game.

Except it is mentioned in the steam forums and the description on the store page mentions an expected release date of "early 2018".

Edit: Mike, I know that part of your persona here is pretending to be incredibly stupid and/or delusional. But whereas your theories about multithreaded processing are amusing, your ranting here (based as it is on you apparently not actually doing any research into what Kickstarter projects are like, or what the Overload folks are actually doing) is just baffling. If this is another attempt to troll, as your multithreading bull**** was or is, please cut it out. If this is you genuinely not understanding how Kickstarter and early access games are made, and what can be expected when buying into either, I recommend you reread the thread for the explanations other people have posted (and which you seem to have ignored).
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 04:41:05 pm by The E »
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Beta backers, 0.6 is out, and brings TrackIR support. Those of us without VR kits can now do 6DOF head pan-and-scan as well now.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Release date trailer!

Trailer itself is honestly a bit meh, but I'm excited for the game.

Offline Hunter

• Ross128, Freespace 2 Sector, Freespace Files
    • Sectorgame
Overload just went live on Steam, grab your copy now  :cool:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/448850/Overload/

GOG version soon..

A live stream will be happening also @ https://www.twitch.tv/revivalproductions
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 01:35:08 pm by Hunter »
FreeSpace Files | Overload | Sectorgame Forums - For those times when HLP is down (or because you want to keep me company)

Volition BB Survivor - Nov 1999 to April 2002 / Yes I know *some* folks in Hollywood, and no I can't get you on TV.

Offline Snarks

Been playing it on Insane. It's challenging but feels fair. Heard there's a hidden difficulty level as well, which is where I expect  :banghead: to start occurring.

As somebody who hasn't played Descent but has an obvious affection for Freespace, is it worth getting this or should i invest in Descent instead?

Offline Hunter

• Ross128, Freespace 2 Sector, Freespace Files
    • Sectorgame
Get Overload. If you enjoy it, you can always go back and try Descent later :)
FreeSpace Files | Overload | Sectorgame Forums - For those times when HLP is down (or because you want to keep me company)

Volition BB Survivor - Nov 1999 to April 2002 / Yes I know *some* folks in Hollywood, and no I can't get you on TV.

Offline CKid

Oh boy, Just waiting for my GOG key to arrive. Sure has been a long time coming.
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever
As somebody who hasn't played Descent but has an obvious affection for Freespace, is it worth getting this or should i invest in Descent instead?

Have you given the Overload playable teaser a try? That should tell you whether or not the game is for you
Stuff

Have you given the Overload playable teaser a try? That should tell you whether or not the game is for you

Aah. No, I haven't, thanks for the tip :)

It’s definitely worth it, yes.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Been playing the snot out of this. They nailed it, really excellent.