Author Topic: Mike Kulas & Matt Toschlog working on a new Descent-inspired title  (Read 49727 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re: Mike Kulas & Matt Toschlog working on a new Descent-inspired title
So, Revival is here with Overload at PAX Prime and they are giving out Steam Keys for Overload.

Anybody interested? If so, I can swing by for a pickup on Monday (I already have a few that were already asked for ahead of time), but I don't want to just pick up a stack and have them be unused.
Ooooh, ooooh, me, me, me!

I could definitely give some away to say, three or four friends if there's that many to go around (ofc everyone else go first!).  I've already got mine through Kickstarter.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
I tried Overload, and to what all of you were saying before, it's much akin to that of the original Descent. And what of voices?
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Okay, well, the downside is, I only managed to score two and one is already pre-claimed, so I have one to give away. They did a limited printing of these and ended up with a lot more attention than I think they expected to actually get, especially given that they only got a tiny booth in Indie land.

I'll have to think of some fair way to give the key away. I was thinking about some sort of Descent-themed artwork contest, but I don't know if that would be possible for all the potential participants.

If this seems like it would be a good deal though, sound off and I'll draft up some actual "Rules" for it.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    • Twitter
Yeah. What of the story of Overload? Should it be much more similar to Descent? I do not wish to spoil it.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
The story is: Bots are trying to kill you, survive as best you can. OR see who can score the highest frags when Multi rolls out.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I'll have to think of some fair way to give the key away. I was thinking about some sort of Descent-themed artwork contest, but I don't know if that would be possible for all the potential participants.

If this seems like it would be a good deal though, sound off and I'll draft up some actual "Rules" for it.

How about something with the theme "FreeSpace Meets Descent"? :nervous:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
Considering this idea, yes. In the form of my next game after Shattered Stars/Sol Contingency.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline FlamingCobra

• An Experiment In Weaponised Annoyance
I'm sorry to drag up an old topic like this, but has anyone gotten Descent 3 to successfully run on a modern machine? My machine runs it but the colors are all ****ed up. Shadows and dark places all appear as a sickening shade of dark green.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I'm sorry to drag up an old topic like this, but has anyone gotten Descent 3 to successfully run on a modern machine?
Never had a problem with the GOG version.

My machine runs it but the colors are all ****ed up. Shadows and dark places all appear as a sickening shade of dark green.
I think you can find some improved rendering plugins for D3 out there, somewhere... it's been a while since I've installed it, though.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

For a second there i thought we'd see something like FS :'(
Imma go cry in a corner now

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam

Maybe this will restore some of your hope.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I'm sorry to drag up an old topic like this, but has anyone gotten Descent 3 to successfully run on a modern machine? My machine runs it but the colors are all ****ed up. Shadows and dark places all appear as a sickening shade of dark green.

http://www.descentbb.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16700

Bookmark the forum, it's basically HLP to Descent (or maybe VBB still alive or Sectorgame or something).   Speaking of Sectorgame..  here's their Descent subforum:

http://www.sectorgame.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=18

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Have you tried installing nGlide, then running Descent 3? I've been able to get a disc install of D3 (patched to the NOCD version) with Mercenary and Pyromania running this way on a PC that ran Windows 8, 8.1 and 10.

The GOG releases of most games that support 3dfx Glide all come with an older version of nGlide, which is why the GOG release of D3 runs fine.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 07:23:47 am by Androgeos Exeunt »
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
I've never played Descent 3 since 1999, but I'm thinking about recent 6DOF games, both of which are powered by the Unreal Engine. Descent Underground and Sol Contingency.

And what of D2X-XL?

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Maybe this will restore some of your hope.

Thank you,i didn't know FreeSpace was this well known.
Who knows,maybe we will see a successor to the series one day

Offline MikeRoz

Revival is already saying that they won't make their March release date. Clearly they've bitten off more than they can chew. Who is going to take them to task for this never-ending feature creep and misuse of backer funds?
Rave reviews of my previous posts:
"Wow.  Just wow.  Well, just about the whole post is devoid of reasonable technical merit and accuracy." -Enki
"Wow, he just wasted about an hour of his life." -MachManX
"There are 5 million things wrong with your post, of which many have already been pointed out..." -blackhole
"Grrr. Someone please monkey mike...He's causing more problems than he's solving" -terran_emperor
"You're not very bright, are you." - General Battuta

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
Revival is already saying that they won't make their March release date. Clearly they've bitten off more than they can chew. Who is going to take them to task for this never-ending feature creep and misuse of backer funds?
Players. Be transparent and hold themselves accountable. That's all.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline MikeRoz

And now they're hitting up unwary Steam users for more money: http://store.steampowered.com/app/448850/

NO mention of the missed deadline to warn unwary customers about what they're getting into. And apparently all they are doing is repackaging the free demo and selling it to people! http://steamcommunity.com/id/sponticore/recommended/448850/

So basically, all they've done all this time is iterate on the demo that got us to back in the first place, so that they can then SELL that demo and make even more money!

I'm demanding a refund on April 1st if this game isn't out in March as promised. I refuse to be a part of this ridiculous campaign to divest unwary gamers of their cash.
Rave reviews of my previous posts:
"Wow.  Just wow.  Well, just about the whole post is devoid of reasonable technical merit and accuracy." -Enki
"Wow, he just wasted about an hour of his life." -MachManX
"There are 5 million things wrong with your post, of which many have already been pointed out..." -blackhole
"Grrr. Someone please monkey mike...He's causing more problems than he's solving" -terran_emperor
"You're not very bright, are you." - General Battuta

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
...if this isn't sarcasm, then you're being ridiculously misleading.  The demo is just that: a snapshot of content produced up to this point, and presumably won't be touched other than bugfixing.  Early Access is where actual new content will be pushed and iterated on, i.e. exactly how Early Access is meant to work, and obviously you then own the full game when it's complete.  The store page is pretty clear about what's coming in the future, and both Luke and Mike have commented on the distinction between the two in the forums.

Literally every gaming project in Kickstarter history has missed its initial projected release date.  It'd be far more of a shock if they'd managed to hit it.  If you can't accept that, then don't back games.

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
I was trying to determine whether this was sarcasm, or if he was getting this mixed up with star citizen.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.