Author Topic: Star Trek Discovery -- This is the good ****  (Read 46028 times)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: Star Trek Discovery -- This is the good ****
Designed to be awkward and executed poorly aren't the same  :yes:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Honestly I can't even remember what scene it was, all I can remember from watching that episode was just that feeling of frustration and asking myself why I'm still watching. Point being that bad dialogue is bad dialogue. It doesn't have to be amazing, but when it gets to levels of Science, **** yeahhh it just takes me out of the thing and very roughly molests my suspension of disbelief.

I can get through bad tv, I still watch the Walking Dead for instance (and Lexx), but Discovery is just too annoying.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I still maintain that Discovery fails because it uses science fiction as a bag of clichés to draw from rather than doing really interesting stuff. They have potentially great characters and do nothing really interesting with them, you have a human adopted by a Vulcan family yet we only get some rather trite family drama. They could have explored better the culture shock with the wider Vulcan society, but they didn't because for all the blabbing by internet ****wits about this being "SJW" the authors are either superficial, cowards of both because real Star Trek IS "SJW" and this ain't it. They couldn't make something like Balance of Terror or The Conscience of The King if someone paid their weight in uncut diamonds or kicked their arse to the Moon and back, there are a few glimpses here and there but other than that nothing.
The problem in the end it's not that is soft sci-fi, Doctor Who treats science like magic siince forever but they usually manage to do something interesting with it, it's that they just re-use sci-fi tropes without really doing anything interesting apart filling some dialogues with science lingo (and no, you don't get to lampshade it especially using a bit that wasn't especially technobabble-y).
In general there is little thought into anything that has to do with the bigger picture since the first season, the first seasonstarted promising but then threw it all away and he secondo season gave us basically Skynet.
Remember, the bad AI in the first Trek movie that was a child looking for answers? Here is just a bad AI, nothing more, nobody even thinks that perhaps giving it sentience might possibly be a good thing because Trek Sarah Connor is here telling us about not-skynet creating the terminators or something.

EDIT
And now I'm just ranting. I trust you get my point.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 03:19:11 pm by Det. Bullock »
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I tend to agree with the sentiment in that video that the only reason it wasn't cancelled was because of the chilling effect that would have on Picard and Lower Decks, etc.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I just finished watching one of the new Star Trek Shorts, and they finally give Enterprise's 1st officer, until now known only as "Number One"... a name.  Both mentioned briefly during the discord, and listed on the text of a pad she's dictating to, her name is Una... which of course is the feminine form of One in Spanish.  :lol:
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
So having mined as much fanservice as possible from Star Trek, it appears the plot for Season 3 is to start ripping off Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda instead.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/09/star-trek-discovery-s3-goes-back-to-the-future-in-first-trailer/
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
Man what does this show even want to be
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
It's a vehicle for the writers to do whatever they want as long as they slap a tenuous Trek connection onto it somehow.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline Luis Dias

yeah, if only they had good ideas to run the star trek template with.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Yeah,  I'm going to give S3 ep 2 a half hearted watch and then probably not watch any more.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I stopped watching Discovery as Star Trek and just enjoy it as a sci-fi adventure. I rather liked Season 2. So I'll probably give all of Season 3 a watch.

Picard, however, is horrible horrible trash. They missed literally everything about Picard that made him Picard except TEA, EARL GREY. HOT which was in every episode multiple times in focus because do you remember Picard? TEA. EARL GREY. HOT. Picard!
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I stopped watching Discovery as Star Trek and just enjoy it as a sci-fi adventure. I rather liked Season 2. So I'll probably give all of Season 3 a watch.

Picard, however, is horrible horrible trash. They missed literally everything about Picard that made him Picard except TEA, EARL GREY. HOT which was in every episode multiple times in focus because do you remember Picard? TEA. EARL GREY. HOT. Picard!

Agreed, Picklard had too much discovery flavour to it.   
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Luis Dias

The only characters I like in this show are Saru and Reno. Episode 2 is like, "let's make a western!" The bad dude even has spurs in his boots ffs.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
It be great if Discovery even put half the effort of its slick visuals into its writing.

I mean, I like quite a few of the characters.  Pike in season 2 was great.  Saru is excellent.  Tilley is fun.  Bernam is.... meh.

I've been wanting a Star Trek that actually goes FORWARD in time for quite some time, so while I like the direction of getting out of prequels, the rip-off of Andromeda is glaringly obvious.  That said, Andromeda was a pretty 'meh' show so maybe, just maybe, Discovery S3 can execute the concept a little better.  That's probably giving the writing team too much credit.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
It still feels like discovery is riding on its predecessors. The end of S3E1 was meant to give me warm fuzzies about the federation, but nothing I've seen in DIS actually makes me feel like the federation is anywhere close to the ideal that DIS wants me to think it is?
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yeah, kinda agree. Doing a "rebuild the federation" arc is a cool idea, but starting off the season with another completely Burnham-centric episode was the wrong step. Martin-Green has improved in the role, but the character itself isn't interesting enough to anchor an entire episode, especially not one that sets up the entire status quo for the show.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
This weird experiment Discovery has been doing of inserting the audience via a surrogate character - and making that character Michael Burnham - has been a complete failure.  It doesn't work for Trek, and it screws up the whole feel.  It's telling that they intentionally got rid of that style with Picard (thank god) and they should ditch it here too.  Having character-centric episodes is fine, but the surrogacy writing is genuinely terrible.

The other really tonally odd issue - as qazwsx pointed out to an extent - is this notion that Burnham is complete crushed by the demolition of the Federation and all the greatness it brought as some long-standing institution.  While the audience may feel this, having Next Gen, DS9, and Voyager under our belts, Burnham and Discovery are set in about the year 2256 - less than a century after the Federation was first formed in 2161 and prior to the existence of the Prime Directive and major expansions and exploration underway by the time of the TOS.  It was a far-cry from the major, wide-spread, and aspirational organization present by the time NextGen kicks in.  Her reaction is rather over the top in that context.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Tilley is not fun.
That is my view and I respect others views but I can't stand her.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
It still feels like discovery is riding on its predecessors. The end of S3E1 was meant to give me warm fuzzies about the federation, but nothing I've seen in DIS actually makes me feel like the federation is anywhere close to the ideal that DIS wants me to think it is?

They were so worried to have their NCIS-style post 9/11 terrorist fantasy (ye know, when terrorists for some reason are everywhere and have super advanced gear and so good guys need to do bad things that are forgivable because they are the good guys and need to win) that the Federation ended up looking rather poor as a result.
Like, how in the hell a fragmented feudal society like the Klingon have the tech and the industrial base to pull off a megafleet of warships but a post-scarcity economy with highly educated people and access to technologies from diverse and advanced worlds couldn't just crank up enough Constitution class vessels to at the very least lead to a stalemate rather than being run over like shown there.
It almost seems like decades of mindless military propaganda in the US have brought the same writers to think that a pacifistic society must necessarily be made of pushovers while a warrior society is authomatically better even if they fight with sticks and stones against tanks.
It's already bad when the US army is magically capable of briging down a giant robot that fought wars for millions of years with AR-15 rifles in a Michael Bay movie but in Star Trek?
Really?
The Klingon are not meant to be the Borg or the Dominion, they were never the kind of enemy that is so powerful as to induce the Federation to act like asshats in desperation.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Luis Dias

Star Trek always had this issue, I detected it some 30 years ago, so it's kind of a weird thing to come at DISCO for.

I mean, according to ST canon, the klingon empire was due to be completely collapsed within 50 years after Praxis blew up if they wouldn't change their imperial ways, but some 80 years later they would totally dominate the Federation militarily if they had chosen so. The Klingons have always been what the writers wanted them to be, either very weak and pathetic at their silly feudal ways, or extremely dangerous and overwhelming.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 04:02:39 am by Luis Dias »