Poll

Which game is better, Freespace 1 or Freespace 2?

Descent/Conflict: FreeSpace - The Great War
21 (38.2%)
FreeSpace 2
34 (61.8%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Voting closed: October 23, 2002, 11:48:25 am

Author Topic: FS1 or FS2  (Read 57607 times)

Offline Solatar

Even the Americans aren't that stupid

Originally posted by Hades

Well sorry, putting up such a large target does make one easy to hit :P

I mean, why'd you think Microsoft get so much jip?
They actually did a fairly good job, the first REAL Multi-tasking OS was theirs, even designed the system themselves, but for cripes sake, they're mistakes are just as bad....lol

I ain't gonna start on the US Mistakes though....
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Solatar

Call Microsoft whatever names you like.

Anyway, back on topic, just so this thread doesn't get closed:
I think fs1, and fs2 are both equal in there own seperate ways.

US hasn't made many mistakes compared to a lot of other countries.

Sigh...I guess I'll start with the most obvious...
Did you just get out of the first grade or something?

Judging from your spelling, grammar, personal attacks, and futile attempts to get a point across, I think everyone is asking you that question.

Trying to copy me makes you look idiotic, try not to do it. Now onto the point, which is simple...Yes, you are right, it was the main aspect of the mission. What you forgot to add was that the mission was COMPLETELY SENSLESS (like 75% per cent of the single player missions in FS2 [tm]). It SUCKED and it was BORING, and all I wanted was to complete it just so I could finish the god damn game.

Copying you got my point across, that if you choose to not care about the Galatea or the Psamtik, you won't.  Just as you decided to not care about the Psamtik, I could decide to not care about the Galatea.  It depends on your frame of mind, which unfortunately, is quite negative.
And what was senseless about the missions?  You say that over and over, how dumb and pointless the missions were.  Yet you never give any reasons as to why the missions are senseless!  That mission you were supposed to finally capture Bosch, certainly there's a good reason to be there.  You find a new subspace portal and, realizing the importance of this new node, Command wants to take control of it.  What is so senseless?

Are you REALLY that dumb? Don't you get stuff? Go read some stories for christ sake and stop wasting my time.

Was this personal attack brought on for a reason?  What point of mine are you trying to refute?  That good stories have plot twists and unpredictable events?  I don't know what you define as good, but a story that I can predict from cover to cover is not good at all.

The Colossus was in one of the last missions, not only was that mission out of place, it was sensless. Kill the never-ending Mara's that jump in (oh yeah that's hard to do for me) and throw in some Rakshasa or a Cain while we're at it to keep the mind busy while something "important" goes on in the distance...at least in FS1 you tried to DO something about the fact that the Galatea was about to be lost. You got a sense of accomplishment later that you DID manage to save the pods and the crew. I couldn't care less if the thing exploded 9clicks from me, I DONT CARE, IT'S NOT MY RESPONCIBILITY.

Again with the senseless.  I'll explain.  If you attack the Gamma Draconis node (obviously an important place, the Shivans will fight to defend it) you take attention away from the Epsilon Pegasi node, buying time for the Bastion and lessening the attack on it.  What would have happened if that Sathanas, or even the Ravana, attacked the Bastion instead of the Colossus?  Game over, man...game over.
And since you're so good at FS2, you should have cleared out the Shivans before the Sathanas arrives, letting you watch the destruction of your most powerful warship.  I see your point though, if it isn't your charge, you don't care.  Very admirable.

I'm getting repetetive, but again, I didn't give a damn(tm). The guy on the Messana was TOTALLY annoying with his voice like he was talking out of his ass. Furthermore you take the beating of the HQ as the main loss of the game? Where the hell were you from the start, the GTVA has been nothing but losing all along with some small senses of victory. But I guess the GTC Eriksson was too small of a loss for you, you needed an Arcadia to explode so it would feel big. And if you really were fooled by the fact when Khafre said "...with this we have nothing more to fear", then again, you should go read and try connect stuff.

A guy has an annoying voice...okay, we'll let him and his crew die, no big deal.  
BTW, the GTSC Erikson was a science vessel that visited the Gamma Draconis system 15 years before FS2.  And even if it was a real cruiser, HQ is slightly more important than a single cruiser, so yeah, I count that as a much larger defeat, the ultimate defeat, just as I would consider losing my main base in a strategy game the ultimate defeat.
"go read and try connect stuff"  :wtf:

I don't need to hack anything funny boy, I'm the best pilot this game has ever seen.

Sorry, are these posts bruising your ego?  Finding yourself a little out of your element?  Seems like it, since to make up for your verbal inadequacy you pompously proclaim how awesome you are at the game.
"knew something about stuff."  Thanks for being crystal clear about that is supposed to mean.

I did everything I could do to get everyone out safe. Supernova was out of my jurstiction, but the bombers and the Cains were dealt with so that they didn't cause ANY damage ANYWHERE!

I'm sure you did everything you could, and if you managed to prevent all that damage, more power to you.  All I am saying is that when the supernova comes, the trailing parts of the convoy get vaporized, and I asked if you felt any loss for those civilians.

Don't tell me what I am, I devoted more time to FS1 and FS2 then you could possibly imagine, and I was doing it most likely when you were still sucking on your mother's breast, now go watch your cartoons dear boy, unless they are already finished so you need to take a nap.

Love the personal attacks...shame they don't help you win this argument.

God damn you for forcing me into this position, all this is about to turn into is name calling since you had to think you know something.

Check your post again, looks like the name calling starts with you, BD.

At least quantum attacked my actual arguments for the most part instead of resorting to a screen full of insults and personal attacks.

Originally posted by Hades
Call Microsoft whatever names you like.

Anyway, back on topic, just so this thread doesn't get closed:
I think fs1, and fs2 are both equal in there own seperate ways.

US hasn't made many mistakes compared to a lot of other countries.

on topic.

I'd mostly agree with you, I just dislike most of the plot for the single player campaign, hense why I never play it...lol

off topic.

You are correct, the US hasn't made many mistakes compared to a lot of other countries.
However this is taken out of context, in America's short history, it has made more mistakes then almost all the other western countries combined in diplomatic and tactical senses, the last war it was actually involved in and should have been, was WWII, most of the rest...."Stop communism" ...What an evil concept is sharing wealth!!!......

Uhm, yeah, anyways.. Your current leader is at it again.
Don't get me wrong, on a personal level I love americans, as individuals, but you talk to a single one about patriotism and it's like you're talking to mr. or mrs. brainwashed..well mostly, you talk to them about history? they seem to have this uber-biased view of stuff...it's...very strange... they're about the only country in the world that actually has an education syllabus which has almost obvious biased spin on it (....a lot of people I've talked to US or otherwise, have agreed).
Seriously though, I hate England for somewhat the same reasons, just to a lesser degree because it has other benefits over the US.
Like I said, on an individual level, American's are much the same as other countries citizens, needing to be dealt individually.. cuz they're all different, and a lot of them really cool....but....geez....politics......heh.....
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

Archon, come play multi.
other then that, uhm, yeah, try answering my points now, they'll take a slight bit of thought (that's the point....but if I wrote this huge long essay, with all linked points, and a full grammatical check, etc, then start using my drama and theater arts education, as well as my english literature and english language marks (...I got the second highest grade my school had ever seen, the girl who got perfect was the one that was being supported by my roles in class...)
...Though, I don't have time for that too often....heh
That's my problem, never enough time.
It also gives you a chance to reply, if I had ten pages of text, you'd have a hard time trying to find holes in it, believe me.

Archon, come play multi.

I would, but the university firewall isn't very friendly to online gaming.  I'll come if you want a lag/disconnect party, though, assuming I can get on PXO.  :sigh:
I'll concede, I'm a pretty bad pilot :p

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Originally posted by Shiva Archon
shame they don't help you win this argument

Didn't know this was a contest :)

Originally posted by Shiva Archon

I would, but the university firewall isn't very friendly to online gaming.  I'll come if you want a lag/disconnect party, though, assuming I can get on PXO.  :sigh:
I'll concede, I'm a pretty bad pilot :p

Pity you can't be online...
Ten minutes under my study and I garauntee you'd improve 50-100%...hehe

As for the uni firewall, there are ways around it, best that you don't try to host, but you should be able to get ingame at least..
hmm, I'm not the networking guy around here, normally I leave that up to a few of my techie friends....err I'll see what I can do ;)

Offline Sheepy

• Raises Hell
  • Mac User
Originally posted by QuantumDelta

Pity you can't be online...
Ten minutes under my study and I garauntee you'd improve 50-100%...hehe

As for the uni firewall, there are ways around it, best that you don't try to host, but you should be able to get ingame at least..
hmm, I'm not the networking guy around here, normally I leave that up to a few of my techie friends....err I'll see what I can do ;)

I've flown under you for about 2 god damn years, and i still suck ass
..... oh yeah that ill be that not listening to what you say thing wont it :rolleyes:
Kiss my Fluffy White Ass!

You're not exactly as good as me, I know that bro, but look AROUND you, you're 56k, and better then A LOT of people on high speed, COM'N man,
And no, I've never gotten around to teaching you properly cuz the two times I tried you didn't listen ;)

Stillllllllll.............
We'll see....
There's still some life in me before I go bye bye (read FS forum SSC bro.......heh.....)

Offline Sheepy

• Raises Hell
  • Mac User
I suppose i will have to go there from time to time wont i .... :d, anyway im not playinf FS2 half as much as i used to, but im sure ill make my way on there some time.
Kiss my Fluffy White Ass!

Offline diamondgeezer

Ah.. Quantum Delta's a SW fellow... that explains a lot

Neop, I was an FS1'er long before an SW'er, and I'm not even actively involved in SW anymore, also, we kinda never had a team that could stand up to us...so flamewars didn't apply ^^

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
FS1 good, intorduced new forms to the conventions of SCS genre, FS2 expanded on it cloning and recloning fs1 events, Nuff said, BTW >> ITS A GAME PEOPLE DONT ARGUE OVER A FRICIN GAME, ITS CHILDISH. :nod:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
this thread doesn't make a lot of good sense to me... it's like asking which of your children is better looking when they are both equally as ugly. ;) :p
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Originally posted by Colonol Dekker
FS1 good, intorduced new forms to the conventions of SCS genre, FS2 expanded on it cloning and recloning fs1 events, Nuff said, BTW >> ITS A GAME PEOPLE DONT ARGUE OVER A FRICIN GAME, ITS CHILDISH. :nod:

I happen to like this game, a lot.  I don't like it when some guy starts ripping it to shreds for terrible reasons (or rather, no reason).  Plus I rather enjoy arguing.  So I stood up for it.  If you have a problem with arguing about it, don't read the thread :p

BTW - You threw in a little argument yourself, there.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by QuantumDelta
I mean, why'd you think Microsoft get so much jip?
They actually did a fairly good job, the first REAL Multi-tasking OS was theirs, even designed the system themselves, but for cripes sake, they're mistakes are just as bad....lol

There is NO BLOODY WAY I can let that statement stand. I can name about 5 OS's off the top of my head that could mulitask before any of Microsoft's pathetic attempts at multitasking came along.
 Windows NT came along only in ~95. UNIX had already split into several different multi-tasking variants. BeOS had been around for a couple of years already and the Amiga had been using a multi-tasking OS for over 10 years.
And if you think that they aren`t proper OS's I suggest you log off right now and stay offline cause the internet wouldn`t even exist if it had been left to MS.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I happen to like this game, a lot. I don't like it when some guy starts ripping it to shreds for terrible reasons (or rather, no reason). Plus I rather enjoy arguing. So I stood up for it. If you have a problem with arguing about it, don't read the thread  

lol, you share all of my characteristics there. :D I would have also entered this fight from the beginning, but I don't have a lot of time these days; maybe a bit later today, though.

BD and QD: Although I am a fellow SSC guy, I must say that your arguments (if they can even be called that) seem really silly for the most part. If I can find some free time today the fun is really going to start... :D (and the people around here can tell you what happens when I start arguing... ;7)

Offline Fry_Day

FS1 good, intorduced new forms to the conventions of SCS genre

That is the single, most foolish thing I've read in this thread. FS1 had no new ideas in it. ever played Wing Commander, or any of the other numerous Space Combat sims that came before FS?
FS only enhanced and refined those characteristics, and was very well executed, but did nothing new in itself. FS2 was a refinement of what was good in FS1, an evolution, not revolution, and while some many complain, it's just like Starcraft, which had nothing new in itself, but was so flawlessly executed, that I don't hear anyone complaining.

I don't really want to comment about most of the Anti-FS2 comments, since Shiva Archon replied to most of them expertly, but claiming that the FS1 music is better than the FS2 music?!?!

FS2 took the good music in FS1, and gave it to you in stereo, as opposed to the mono of FS1 (Don't tell me you didn't notice they share music), and I find all the FS2 tracks to be more atmospheric, and just plain better musically, than the non-shared FS1 tracks.