Author Topic: Why building a new Collosus right away would be practical  (Read 15924 times)

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
Why building a new Collosus right away would be practical
1. All the blue prints, plans, ect. are already created. No design stage required.
2. Molds and casts have already been created for the parts.
3. Plants already have the machinery to make parts.
4. All the quirks and suprise engineering problems have been worked out.
5. Technology improvements allow for faster construction then they did 20 years ago.
6. Engineers have exprience build the ship.
7. Parts from the first Collosus may have been salvaged.
8. Spare parts that were created for the first one could be used in construction.

So with all this in mind, I think they could probably build a new one in a fraction of the time it took to build the first. Probably less than half. Your thoughts?
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline Fetty

it sucked :D

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
Of course it would take less time. The first is always the worst. A replacement would take much less time.

Of course, it would be twice as foolish to build a second one as it was to build the first one.
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

....:wtf:....:doubt:.........:blah:........:nod:.....:D....;7

He's right! They also would have found out a better way to *ahem* "Micro-manage" it, like reducing the crews, making it...well, more effecient then the POS the first one was like...and if I'm not mistaken, in the briefing after High Noon, it said that it would take 8 months for the Colossus to be repaired...maybe they were making spare parts when the Colossus was completed...maybe they were making...another one already, like a sister ship...maybe, maybe not.

Cor

Offline Fetty

and i managed to get the colosus thru without any damage
why build anotherone ? :rolleyes:

Offline DTP

• ImPortant Coder
    • http://www.c4-group.dk
Economics ?
if the shivans have like 100´s Sathanas
why even bother to build another Collosus.

Even with all the improvements you list, it will take decades to build a fleet capeble of countering the sathanas.

instead they should focus on building the "sherman" or"T-34" of the battle-ships.

cheap, fast to build, easy to repair, and can get the job done when countering any enemies when enough is at hand.

The germans, during WWII focused on design and Quality rather than thinking of the aspects of war-fare.

that was one of the reason´s why they where defeated.

T-34´s from the East, and Shermans from the West.
VBB member; reg aug 1999; total posts 600.
War is a lion, on whos back you fall, never to get up.
Think big. Invade Space.

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
Originally posted by DTP
Shermans from the West.
Good point, bad example.  Rounds from the shermans literally bounced off the hulks that were the german tanks.  Personally, I think a fleet of small fast light carriers and vast numbers of bombers and fighters is more practical, especially fighters like the Myrmidon which can carry the Helios bomb.  They're fast enough to get through the defenses with minimal losses and can deliver the payload up close and personal.  A few squadrons of Myrmidons can spell the death of a sathanas in just a few passes, far more economical than parking a Colossus in front of it and trading beams back and forth for half an hour :D

Offline Solatar

If the Myrmidon can carry the Helios, why can't it carry the smaller Cyclops? Oh well....

I don't think a fleet of carriers, but a fleet of destroyers with large hangerbays. That way Command could bring in a few destroyers to attack a Sathanas. The destroyers trade beams with it while their squadrons of Myrmidons protect squadrons of Boanerges. The Boanerges launch their Helios, and at the same time so do the Myrmidons that are providing them cover. The Myrmidons then try to cover the warheads as they impact the Sathanas' hull.

Offline diamondgeezer

Originally posted by Hades
If the Myrmidon can carry the Helios, why can't it carry the smaller Cyclops?

Because :V: sucks...

:nervous:

Offline Solatar

Originally posted by diamondgeezer

Because :V: sucks...

:nervous:

What the hell have you been smokin'?

:rolleyes:

Burn the blasphemar!!!:)

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
Originally posted by Hades
If the Myrmidon can carry the Helios, why can't it carry the smaller Cyclops? Oh well....

I don't think a fleet of carriers, but a fleet of destroyers with large hangerbays. That way Command could bring in a few destroyers to attack a Sathanas. The destroyers trade beams with it while their squadrons of Myrmidons protect squadrons of Boanerges. The Boanerges launch their Helios, and at the same time so do the Myrmidons that are providing them cover. The Myrmidons then try to cover the warheads as they impact the Sathanas' hull.
Destroyers dont trade beams with Sathani my friend, they take one hit and they're down for the count.  The advantage with using smaller vessels is that they can be faster, they're more maneuverable, and can thus get into the jug's blinder areas whereas a destroyer could only lumber in the general direction hoping the crew of the Sathanas is taking a nap.

When just about anything that gets hit dies, you might as well lose a cruiser size carrier instead of a destroyer for each beam; in the end you lose far less.

As for using Boans to bomb a Sathanas, Boans can't get within a klick of a sathanas without eating flak or aaaf.  Add to the equation the numerous fighters a Sathanas carries and you have a bunch of expensive slow vape-bait carrying equally expensive bombs.  The only way the Boans would have a chance is if fighters went in first and disarmed the Sathanas and wiped out its fighters; if you're sending the fighters in first anyway, why not just have them take the bombs and deliver them while they're there?  They can dump the bombs at the turrets at close range and then engage the fighters, withdraw to a safe distance, rearm, and repeat.  Far more economical don't you agree?

;)

Offline Solatar

But if you have three or four destroyers jump in behind a Sathanas, then have them launch Myrmidons and Boanerges, you're set. The Sathanas doesn't have any AAA that I'm aware of (It only has five beam cannons). The only threat to the destroyers is the backmounted beam cannon, but three or four destroyers can handle it.

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
:wtf:

It has plenty of aaaf, they're just placed in all the wrong places.

And besides, I don't think V meant for it to be so easy for a pack of bombers to kill Their Juggs.. perhaps FS2 could use some balancing :confused:  

I'm pretty sure the Myrmadon/Helios was an accident as It doesn't seem like something V would do.

As for sending in the Colossus directly infront of the Sath.. V sacrificed realsm for gameplay, which was a really poor choice IMO.  If a few more beams were added around the Sath, or It actually used its fighters along with the Col, then It would have been better.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
Originally posted by Knight Templar
I'm pretty sure the Myrmadon/Helios was an accident as It doesn't seem like something V would do.
I'm pretty sure theres a tech breifing out there somewhere that specifically mentions this ability; makes sense as the Myrmidon is designed to be more of a strike craft for quick hits.  As for the Sath being so easy to kill, a few bombs wont do much, but you get a few squadrons lined up and you have one dead juggernaut, the key is in the numbers.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Actually I'll bet it was an easter egg.  Not very many missions in the campaign let you arm the myrmidon with Helios, simply because one or the other isn't available.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
I suppose.. about squads though.. the FS Universe (due to Systems and Gameplay I guess) isn't really oriented to Squadrons

Hardly in a mission do you use a full 12 fighters. I always thought next to Brilliantly stupid Capship tactics, this was one of FS2's biggest gameplay weaknesses. Of course 6 Squadrons of Ursa's could mop a Sath, but V used cost, and not launching anywhere near the full amount of caps' fighters..

meh.. Whatya gonna do?
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
It might work out, but it really depends on what the average citizen thought of the ship. If they see the original as a failed project and fruitless endeavor, you definitely want to give it a new name/appearance/statistics to distinguish and distance it from the original as much as possible. On the other hand, if it appears as a heroic vessel that concluded the NTF war and took down a number of Shivan destroyers with it, do the opposite. It is quite likely that they will try another "joint project" sometime, but whether it will follow the same design as the Colossus is questionable.

As for the Myrmidon/Helios thing, that was definitely unintentional. They probably intended to put in the Harpoon instead, for which there is no reason that a highly versatile space superiority fighter should not be able to carry; this thing is the best all round anti-fighter missile, so the Myrmidon should definitely have it. The Helios is not a standard-issue weapon at all and is only used in the most critical situations, and only the largest bombers in the game can carry it anyway.

Actually I'll bet it was an easter egg. Not very many missions in the campaign let you arm the myrmidon with Helios, simply because one or the other isn't available.

Yeah, actually there is no campaign mission at all which lets you do that; the only official missions where it can be done is in multiplayer, which are tweaked quite differently gameplay-wise.

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
To be honest, I don't think building another Colossus is a good idea.  I think the GTVA should focus more on properly defending current ships against Shivan weaponry.  

* Capital ship shielding would be a big bonus.  They've had access to shield tech for a good 36 years.  I think its time to impliment some kind of capital ship shields.  

*Secondly, bring back capital ship torpedoes!  The Fenris and Leviathan-class ships are the only terran GTVA ships capabile of firing such weapons that I've seen.

*Increase the firing rate for the pulse cannons so that they can provide an adequate defense against fighters/bombs/asteroids.

*Making some decent escape pods that can actually take a beating!  I mean, FFS!  I can take out an escape pod within my first or second volley from my primaries!  These things have GOT to be able to survive the shockwave of the destruction of the ship as well as any enemy fighter bombardments.
Gargoyles, Season 1.  Buy it, or DIE! :)

"Professor! This ship is capable of traveling 90 percent the speed of light! Why are we only doing 35 miles an hour!" - Leela
"Because we're in a hurry!" - Professor

"from a purely stastical standpoint japanese men DO have smaller penii on average" - Kazan

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Then why does it have those big, honker nacelles on the wing tips?  The openings are way too big for any thing but a torpedo.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
Dude, those are missile launchers. (assuming you're referring to the Myrmedon)
Gargoyles, Season 1.  Buy it, or DIE! :)

"Professor! This ship is capable of traveling 90 percent the speed of light! Why are we only doing 35 miles an hour!" - Leela
"Because we're in a hurry!" - Professor

"from a purely stastical standpoint japanese men DO have smaller penii on average" - Kazan