Author Topic: Why building a new Collosus right away would be practical  (Read 15937 times)

Offline Solatar

Why building a new Collosus right away would be practical
You're screwed.:D

Well, I don't think even the GTVA is stupid enough to strap Helios on the side of a fighter......

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
Originally posted by karajorma
But what happens when the enemy fighters start targetting the bombs?
Thats why you fly far apart and dodge ;)

Seriously though, if a bomber carrying helios gets shot down, the anti-matter would still lose EM containment and react with matter, so really its no different.

Offline diamondgeezer

They couldn't even if they wanted to. There wouldn't be enough SEXP nodes available to destroy the bomb subsystem every time the pilots fired their weapons :p

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by LtNarol
Thats why you fly far apart and dodge ;)

Seriously though, if a bomber carrying helios gets shot down, the anti-matter would still lose EM containment and react with matter, so really its no different.

Well it is different in that this time the bomb is strapped to the hull of the fighter rather than being several hundred meters away. It's actually inside the shield which means that the shield would offer no protection from the blast
 Shooting the bomb would either cripple or destroy the fighter. In addition we know how weak the hull is on a helios, one shot and the whole thing would go up.

As far as I`m concerned strapping bombs to fighters is an idea up there with strapping a 100mm cannon to your car and calling it a tank. One day people might be desperate enough to do it but for the military to actually plan it is just plain folly.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
The following is an announcement from the Ministry of Fidelity to Ancient Languages:

The plural of Sathanas is Sathanes.

The plural of Colossus is Colossi.

"Sathanas" is Greek, not Latin.  The -as ending pluralises to -es in Greek.  The -i plural ending belongs to Latin words like "Colossus."  It does not belong on Sathanas.  Thank you.  

We now return you to your regularily scheduled off-topic thread.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2002, 04:00:32 am by 448 »
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Sesquipedalian
The following is an announcement from the Ministry of Fidelity to Ancient Languages:

The plural of Sathanas is Sathanes.

The plural of Colossus is Colossi.

"Sathanas" is Greek, not Latin.  The -as ending pluralises to -es in Greek.  The -i plural ending belongs to Latin words like "Colossus."  It does not belong on Sathanas.  Thank you.  

We now return you to your regularily scheduled off-topic thread.

*senses the death of the thread*
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
for some reason I feel really angry now..
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

...back on topic.

To defeat a Sathanas .-

Bigger beams on smaller ships

Its that simple.  If destroyers could carry a BFgreen or two each then most cap ship wars would be solved much faster. Bombers and fighters aren't the way to do it, the resources should be put into developing current reactors and beams instead of huge productions and logistic efforts.
So no, they shouldnt build a new collosus.

why am i talking like this is actually real?

"Your cynicism appauls me Collosus - I have ten thousand officers and crew willing to die for pants !"

"Go to red alert!"
"Are you sure sir? It does mean changing the bulb"

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
there are a bunch of latin words in english, but we still use english plurals, hence: Sathani.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline Carl

• Render artist
Originally posted by beatspete
destroyers could carry a BFgreen or two each

that would be nice, it would also be nice if an apollo could fire the shivan super laser. if you want to carry a big weapon, you need a big ship. you can't just stick a beam on anything and expect it to work.

Offline diamondgeezer

I stuck a beam on my arse and it worked...

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
Originally posted by Carl
there are a bunch of latin words in english, but we still use english plurals, hence: Sathani.
But you don't apply Latin endings to non-Latin words.  If you want to use English pluralisation, it'd be Sathanases (which sounds funny).  But why would you stick a Latin ending on a non-Latin word?

:)
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Originally posted by diamondgeezer
I stuck a beam on my arse and it worked...

kaboom.... :ick !

me thinks we all put too much  guestimating into what a fictional government would do illogically.

the game writers at V did it a certain way for story purposes not gameplay enhancement. if we were to balance out every destroyer in the game, i bet u will have crusiers and corvetes speeding around as if there Soverign class ships or fighters running around at 50 M/S.

this ideal move woulda been nice but since a corvette is actually the size (maybe off a few meters) of the current enterprise for example, and that the fs ships are made to be hunking and slow, it would be safe to say that if all ships were balanced for gameplay FIRST AND FORMOST, i think freespace would have been a thousand times more entertaining and breathtaking with proper story writing.

if a hecate was running from an exploding ship or star, and had to reach a node right away, wouldnt it be more realistic and heart racing to see the ship move as if its flying yes sublight/subspace (yes i know subspace in terms of the game is just the worm hole, no artificial faster then light travel but u go faster cause of the subspace contium makeup) speed, but as if outrunning a shockwave.

realism has been one of the issues about the game and the ship itself. the irresponcible construction of the colossus might not be irresponcible if it didnt have so many friggen failures with its power, IE the script of the story etc. cause if u made the colossus like it was in the tech room script, and it was maxed out as stated, it would FUBAR'ed any ship in the game. forget all that powergrid failure nonsense, if it was suppose to fire 12 beam turrets that are LRBFgreen, then it should have friggen blown away the sahtanas in the game.

dont follow the script kiddies follow the logic of the TBL!

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
tables say it has 6 BFG's and 6 TerSlashs like its supposed to.

The thing about the Colossus is that it has the most firepower in the game, but it's evenly distributed so that it can only bring about 50% of it's total firepower on a target at one time. That' coupled with bad tactics and failing to use more than 5% of It's given fighter complement was its downfall. Now I've never checked, but does the C have beams on the top or bottom parts of the ship?

And about the speed issue, I always thought it was appropriate. FS Ships are kinda made to seem big and hulking like today's warships. Besides, I don't really see Beams with ships going half the speed of light. And don't say they would be like Phasers, cuz they wouldn't. And if the the caps go the fast, the Fighters would go ungodly fast.. and I just don't think it would work out right.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Carl

• Render artist
actually, there's no reason why the fighters wouldn't be just as fast as the cap ships. in the game that caps go 1/3 or so of the fighter's speed. they should both go the same speed. all you have to do is take the fighter engine and scale it up.

Offline diamondgeezer

Look, it's like it is cos V wanted it to feel like a WWII dogfighter... big, hulking cap ships and nippy little fighters buzzing around the big ships...

Offline Solatar

*Thinks about the fs2 fighter speeds.*

The only way that would happen is if you install Shushi's velocity MOD.

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman

The only way that would happen is if you install Shushi's velocity MOD.
Or just be patient :drevil:

Anyway, something about the ol' Colossus - she's supposed to have missile launchers (and hence could've carried some of the more deadly ones) but the pof and tbl have no secondary banks. :wtf:
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Solatar

Well, the Orion was supposed to be "bristling with dozens of Death Dealing turrets". But then again that isn't a great comparison as the Orion is a great warship. But the Colossus was good at what she was made for, pulverizing NTF ships. Don't forget, it wasn't designed to take on a Sathanas, and the fact that it did is a great achievement.

Originally posted by Hades
Well, the Orion was supposed to be "bristling with dozens of Death Dealing turrets". But then again that isn't a great comparison as the Orion is a great warship. But the Colossus was good at what she was made for, pulverizing NTF ships. Don't forget, it wasn't designed to take on a Sathanas, and the fact that it did is a great achievement.

and... with the help of Alpha 1 :p