Author Topic: Why building a new Collosus right away would be practical  (Read 15939 times)

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Why building a new Collosus right away would be practical
I think there should be a class called a Dreadnought which is like a mobile weapons platform. Here are the basic ideas behind it:

Rather large (Orion size or larger, but smaller than a Sath)
No fighterbay or very small one
Limited mobility
Beam turrets all over the ship so that there is no escape from the beams--both AAA and anti-warship beams in large numbers
150,000-1,000,000 hitpoints (depends on size)
At least one LRBGreen or BFGreen/Red/Vas/Purple (Ancient ships have purple beams)
*Dn designation (GTDn, GVDn, NTDn, SDn, etc.)
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
You do realize that you bumped a 4 month old thread, right? And that such actions are not exactly looked upon favorably? :doubt:

Originally posted by diamondgeezer
My money says this thread will never die

Oh, the irony!!! :lol:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
:wtf: again? This one gets..

Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Knight Templar
:wtf: again? This one gets..

:lol: Some people never seem to learn.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline tEAbAG

Originally posted by diamondgeezer
My money says this thread will never die

*waits for Shrike to close it in the next post*

Excellent call DG!:D
If happiness is a warm gun and love is a battlefield, why should we give peace a chance?

C-130 rollin' down the strip
hits a rock and start to tip
its all right, its OK
full of soldiers anyway

I think we should go Mung his dead grandma. - anOn

Offline DeepSpace9er

• Bakha bombers rule
  • Avoid the beam and you wont get hit
I think the idea of massive capital ships is compeltely bogus and absolutely wasteful and retarded. The only cap ships that should exist are ships solely designed to carry fighters and bombers. If you notice, cruisers are a compelte waste, a destroyers are a compelte waste (Ravana Mission) and massive Juggernauts like the Colossus is a big waste. (30,000 people vanished in less than a minute) ITs just like our modern warfare of today: big battleships are too costly and ineffective for them to be build like they are in FS2. You know the mission where you are in a vasudan bomber and you have to take out the Sathanas's turrets? Now, if you took those out and had the node blockaded by those new mobile beam turrets shooting at the engines of the Sathanas, the ship would be disabled and very easy to capture and or destroy. What i dont get is why the GTVA didnt attempt to disable and capture the Sathanas in Capella.

Instead of blowing trillions and trillions of currency on a ship that canbe vaporized very quickly and cost 30,000 lives a pop, the GTVA should invest much more in those beam turrets and make them mobile and more powerful.

Also, if the Colossus was ever to be rebuilt, they should screw the small turrets and flak crap, turn the whole ship into one big reactor and heat sink, and go all out with Large beam turrets: about 50-70 beam turrets. No fighterbay, no big crew, no little dinky guns... THE BIG GUNS. And then have deimos and aeolus class corvettes and cruisers guard it, but strip the big guns from the Deimos and Aeolus and make them specifically anti-fighter machines. See my point? The Sathanas has 4 big guns that dish out more damage than all of the Colossus's guns. If the COlossus had 60-70 guns, you ould place 2 near the Gamma Draconis Node inside Capella and fry each Sathanas as it comes it :) That way, the SHivans could never take over Capella no matter what they sent. Have fighter and bomber wings just in case the shivans get smart enough to send in a few Saraphims and Taurvis. Then when the 80 Juggernauts are gone, send the new Colossus's into the Knossos 2 sector and beyond trashing everything with an enemy IFF signature.

Offline Solatar

let it die....please.....

Originally posted by Carl

that would be nice, it would also be nice if an apollo could fire the shivan super laser. if you want to carry a big weapon, you need a big ship. you can't just stick a beam on anything and expect it to work.

*ahem*

http://descenteer.home.mindspring.com/SuperAten1.jpg
http://descenteer.home.mindspring.com/SuperAten2.jpg
http://descenteer.home.mindspring.com/SuperAten3.jpg

:D :D :D

Sorry, just had to be posted...

I did those a long time ago, during a spell of boredom...

*edit*
OK OK, I'll let it die too, as requested...

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
{Data voice} Actually, captain, this brings up an interesting point -- {/Data voice}

{Complete Nex-Gen bridge crew voices}Data, shut up!{/Complete Nex-Gen bridge crew voices}

:D
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill